diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any help trying to grasp what these are. I found these at a sale. Is the top one a form of a trade token? Did companies employ the us to make these? I have no idea about the other one. I have no idea on value but I speculate not much. Thanks for looking. The top one says Grand Southern Hotel. Thanks always for any help!!
img20161120_083221.jpg

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The top one is from some hotel in Galveston, Texas. ...Possibly some gambling script? Money issued by the hotel? Maybe even an old discount coupon/advertisement to draw in business?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An article written on page 17 of the Galveston Daily News on 4/30/1978 recalls past fires that consumed parts of Galveston. One report notes that in 1877 the Grand Southern Hotel (located at the SE corner of 22nd and Mechanic) burned to the ground in 20 minutes. This is probably 'your' hotel (and would represent the end printing year of your bill.) Another sentence on the same page caught my eye which read that the Tremont House hotel's grand ball ticket selling price was "$50 in Texas money or $25 specie". Your bill may be an example of "Texas money" at that time.
Don.....

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, and the research. That sounds like one extremely hot fire. I glad this survived. I hardly find coins this old. Maybe someone in Texas might be interested. Thanks again for the information! Its very interesting learning about the old currencies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread