Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone collect these besides me?

Barr was the secretary of the treasury for something like 33 days so there was a limited # of bills with his signature on them. In the 1970s I had over 600 of them but being a poor college student had to higrade the best 200 and spend the rest. Since the 1980s, I think I have come across 2 in circulation.
I see them at coin shows for $1.25 - $2 so they aren't really worth anything, but once you start collecting something, its hard to stop!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Back then I also saved Barr notes. My mother was kind enough that she knew the bank teller, to get me 25 new bills in serial # sequence. Still have them flat in a book somewhere, waiting to be exzummed.

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandma and grandpa saved them also and before they passed away they gave me a handful and told me what they were. I still have them somewhere in my collection. HH

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
United States paper money always depicts the signature of the Secretary of the Treasury.Because of Barr's short term, collectors speculated.... that currency bearing Barr's name is rare. In reality, 458,880,000 $1.00 notes were printed bearing his signature (although none in other denominations), but due to the $1.00's limited lifespan (they are estimated to last an average of 21 months in circulation), it is unknown how many exist.
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_W._Barr
Any Barr "Star" bill is worth over $10 today in Unc-63 condition or between $5 and $6 without the 'star'.(per the 2016 Official Red Book)
Don.....

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well seeing that I collect them "star" notes and have literally hundreds and hundreds I may just have some of them barr stars......I guess its time for a treasure hunt in my own office.....:headbang:

OP
OP
ChampFerguson/TN

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do have some Star Barrs; will have to check on them. Thanks for the tip, Mac!

Wow, Stars and Barrs in the same sentence. Hope this doesn't get moved to the political forum! ☻

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread