Pittsburgh-South Park area - What is this?

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I have been away from the 'burgh for many years but I was looking at some maps and aerial photos of the South Park area.
I came across this and was wondering if anyone knows what it is or was. It is located off Broughton Rd. on Hundred Acre Dr.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=23899029&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
sp1.JPG
sp2.JPG
sp2a.JPG

Thanks
JG

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
Very STRANGE! :icon_scratch:Appears to be a maze of some sort. What it would be used for is beyond me. Maybe some sort of collage or military experiment. ???

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Found some references online to a Hundred Acres Manor "haunted house" attraction in South Park, including a 7,500 sq. ft maze with black-painted walls. Don't know if that's what's shown in these pics, but you might check it out.

OP
OP
jgowans

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
That must be it! I wonder what was on the site before that? Usually those haunted houses make use of old buildings.
The terraced bench area looks interesting.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
JG_in_NC said:
That must be it! I wonder what was on the site before that?

One site says that the maze "can be found on Hundred Acres Drive in South Park, on the site of what used to be Sully's Pool."

OP
OP
jgowans

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Thanks PBK. I don't ever remember going there. I remember when they put the BMX track in though.
Here is a '67 aerial photo of the pool.
Pool.JPG

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet that's been detected to heck and back by the locals. It looks pretty obviously a pool house and there appears to be bleachers there too. All that grassy area where the sunbathers would have hung out....

I'm sure there's still probably some finds there...just few and far between.

Al

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haunted house/maze was my first thought as well. I remember going to a few in that area years ago.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Found some references online to a Hundred Acres Manor "haunted house" attraction in South Park, including a 7,500 sq. ft maze with black-painted walls. Don't know if that's what's shown in these pics, but you might check it out.

Bingo!

South Park has a lot of history, but it has been POUNDED to death over the years. I pulled a round ball out behind the old cabin, but other than, nada. If you go check it out, find the Maits House behind the parking lot near the maintenance building. Cool old place. Also, there is a picnic area in the woods near the fairgrounds that isn't in use anymore, potential for some silver I suppose, though I have never checked it out.

Good luck!

pghmole

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
S.w. pa
Detector(s) used
CTX,E Trac,Equinox 800,Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bingo!

South Park has a lot of history, but it has been POUNDED to death over the years. I pulled a round ball out behind the old cabin, but other than, nada. If you go check it out, find the Maits House behind the parking lot near the maintenance building. Cool old place. Also, there is a picnic area in the woods near the fairgrounds that isn't in use anymore, potential for some silver I suppose, though I have never checked it out.

Good luck!

Hey I know it's an old thread,but I have pulled 600 silvers since 2012 from that park!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread