MDing County Parks In Westmoreland County

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
If you look under general rules, there is nothing that states that you can't MD in the parks. I did find out that you do need a "SPECIAL USE PERMIT APPLICATION" that will cost $20.00 annually to metal detect at county parks. I will include links at the end.

Has anyone MDed at any of the county parks without a permit and what happened to you? I am close to one of the county parks and not sure what I want to do. I would need 2 special use permits, one for me and one for son.

General Rules and Regulations-- http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/parks/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=619489&parksNav=|

Special Use Permit Application-- http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/parks/lib/parks/forms/2008_special_use_permit_application.pdf

Sue

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Do you know if you need a permit for every park, or will one permit cover all the parks?
Did Buddy get his metal detector fixed? Hope this weather changes so we can get out and do some detecting.

Dave

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
davew0710 said:
Do you know if you need a permit for every park, or will one permit cover all the parks?
Did Buddy get his metal detector fixed? Hope this weather changes so we can get out and do some detecting.

Dave

Yes, on the application you have to circle the park you will be MDing at. So if you get one for Northmoreland Park, you will need another application for Twin Lakes Park.

His new MD came yesterday by UPS. We put it together and it works fine and LCD area is not cracked so no black marks covering the viewing area. He is anxious to get out and do the backyard to see what I missed with my detector. He has already bragged to me that he doesn't need to use a pinpointer since his detector comes with one. We are planning several hikes to look at a couple places that might be good to MD.

I am seriously thinking of getting a permit to carry a gun with me when I go MDing. I know I will be doing some MDing without the protection of having you guys (You and Al) with me in the woods and you never know what can happen. My hubby also agrees with me on why I need one and is willing to take me out shooting since it has been years since I shot a gun, except the pellet gun.

Sue

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankly Sue, I don't see a thing in the general rules that even hint at metal detecting not being allowed. There wasn't anything even saying you couldn't dig in lawn areas.

It mentions not damaging trees or shrubs...but not much else.
The application link ...that form looks like it's a special use for some isolated activity, like a group picnic...a one shot deal. You need to specify a date for the activity.

Surely you dont think they'd charge you 20 bucks every time you wanted to detect. That app. asks for who, what, where , when...and I'm suprised it doesn't ask why...lol

I wouldn't give it a second thought to detecting there without a permit.

Those rules they list are pretty specific towards a lot of activities...but detecting isn't one of them. So...it's not in the rules...yet!

And if...IF...someone were to ask you to stop...you simply tell them you checked their rules and regs...and nothing was barring you from detecting.

Come on Sue...give them those big Bambi eyes...smile at them....be polite at all times....if they want you to leave with good cause...then say sorry and go...

It'll save you 20 bucks.

Glad to hear Buddy got his detector....now...when the ground thaws...

Hey...the rivers freezing over...maybe you can hike over and scan your stuff.

Al

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I know for a fact that you need a permit to hunt twin lakes. I do not know about the others. A few members of my club have the permits for Twin Lakes, I only get to hunt when not travelling, so I have plenty of places to go without paying money.

If you go without a permit, the rangers ask to see it. If you do not have one, they ask you to leave.

Kevo

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
deepskyal said:
FranklySue I don't see a thing in the general rules that even hint at metal detecting not being allowed. There wasn't anything even saying you couldn't dig in lawn areas.

If you look al the list of charges, Al, it shows a $20.00 fee for metal detecting. It doesn't say if that is one time or an annual fee.
However, I agree that the best approach would be to play dumb and be polite if anyone questioned Sue detecting there. Of course, if sue gets the carry permit.......
Hope this weather breaks soon I need to get out and play in the dirt.

Dave

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Kevo is right. It is annual from January to December.

I did ask a West. County Sheriff and he didn't know that they charged for that. I will be talking to him tomorrow, to find out when daughter goes to court, and see what he suggests.

The daughter thing is a totally different story and she will be called to testify on behalf on the State of PA. This happens several times a year, so it is old news to me. If anyone wants more info on this, send me a PM and I will explain it more to you.

Sue

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My bad.....didn't look on the 2nd page of the application.

Well that just sucks.....I'd have to pay $40.00 to detect there since I don't live in the county. I think that's just a tad excessive ...that's a lot of pennies to dig to break even.

Sorry Sue...better get your gun... :o....too many free places for me to detect....Well maybe if you wear a bikini I'll come watch you detect and keep you safe....lol...kidding.

Seriously....I don't think you'd need one if the park was busy with people around...but being a little extra careful during off hours couldn't hurt.

Al

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
deepskyal said:
Sorry Sue...better get your gun... :o....too many free places for me to detect....Well maybe if you wear a bikini I'll come watch you detect and keep you safe....lol...kidding.

Al

You want me in a bikini? I won't even wear a 1 piece anymore.

Sue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread