rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:30 AM
To: NR, AskDCNR
Subject: pennpilot

I just wanted to drop a line to let you know that the new pennpilot site is awsome. You did a very good job on the new site. I took up metal detecting a few years ago and this has become a valuable tool. All the PA people on the treasurenet forum also use pennpilot. Thanks for all that you have done. Also, please let us know if you will be adding any more years to the collection?

Thank you,
Mike

Mike- Thanks for the compliment- I totally agree, and I don't do metal detecting. However, the main kudos should go to the folks at Penn State University who do the contract work on the project. They did the redesign, and manage the data. My boss came up with the idea, and DCNR has funded it. I am sending copies of this message to them. We are happy to bask in the glow of their accomplishments.

I believe the project plans call for 2 more sets of coverage - approximately 1950's and 1970's. When that will be able to happen in this budget climate, I can't say.

Regard, Helen Delano

Helen L. Delano P.G.
DCNR- Pennsylvania Geological Survey
3240 Schoolhouse Road
Middletown, PA 17057-3534

Phone 717-702-2031

e-mail: [email protected]
web site: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:35 PM
To: Delano, Helen
Subject: FW: pennpilot

Just for you..kudos!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...cool. Glad you acknowledged them like you did and got such a positive response.

I just have a certain paranoia that if people catch on to us using resources like that for free...it will eventually become a pay site because of the current business climate.

I've seen a couple websites, very recently, change their format because of cash flow issues and become pay sites. It can't be cheap to design some of these map sites, then to maintain the web site.....

Penn State is getting funding...that's great...take advantage of it while we can.

Al

OP
OP
rugratt

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
I agree with you on all these sites going to a pay site. I guess you have to do what you can to pay the bills. Both my daughters go to Penn State, thye said the students get to work on these sites in school and will hopfully never be a paid site. I think I give them enough money as it is. Anyways I wanted to find out if they were going to add any more maps to their collection and as we found out, those maps are going to be of a later time period. Bummer, I was hoping for something in the 1800''s.

rugatt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rugratt said:
, I was hoping for something in the 1800''s.

rugatt

Me too , but

Would be tuff unless they used catapults & Snapped Pics Very Quickly :D

OP
OP
rugratt

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
Would be tuff unless they used catapults & Snapped Pics Very Quickly

Now thats funny!

I think they shot cameras out of canons. Thanks Jeff, Good to see someone has a good sence of humor. But we do have a topo map of 1858 for Erie that I wanted to use as an overlay. I found a copy in a book at the library but cant find one electronically. If you come accross it let me know. As a matter of fact if you come accross anything from Erie, send it my way.....................

Rugratt

OP
OP
rugratt

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
Thanks Jeff, this exactly what I was looking for. Cant wait to overlay it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread