Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiantown Gap ; & Vicinity, Indian History

Nothing Directly related to the Marquette Lake area available so far.

Soldiers who train and maneuver through the woods of Fort Indiantown Gap tread on historic around. Indian artifacts found in this area have been dated back as far as 3500 B.C.
As the settlers moved into the area of northern Lebanon County, during the early 1600’s and until the mid-1750’s, the white settlers considered the Lenie-Lenape Indians to be friendly.

There were four Lenie-Lenape Indian villages in the vicinity of the present fort, one of which was established at the south entrance. Harper’s Tavern, located about two miles south of Fort Indiantown Gap, was built about 1740 by Adam Harper. It was sometimes surrounded by wigwams of friendly Indians who traded there

But, by the 1750’s, the Indians were being pushed farther and farther back from their traditional hunting grounds, and the French encouraged the Indians to start making attacks on the frontier settlement.
Because of these attacks, a chain of fortifications was established along Blue Mountains. The need for these forts is readily apparent when it is considered that, between 1755 and 1763, the Indians killed 123 people in Lebanon County.
Just a few miles south of the present location of Fort Indiantown Gap, in 1755, the house of Adam Reed, Esquire, was turned into a fort. Reed used this fort to protect the people of the countryside from sudden Indian attacks. One might say that Adam Reed was the first “Commander” of Fort Indiantown Gap.
The 7 ½ foot bronze, 650 pounds, statue of the woman Cuewe-Pehelle, installed at Lebanon Valley College by two longtime members of the Lebanon Valley College family, Dr. Clark and Edna Carmean. The statue is named for the original form of the word Quittaphilla -- the name of the creek that flows through Annville. Quittaphilla was the Algonquin Indians’ word for “a stream that flows from the ground among the pines”.

Source: Lebanon Daily News, 18 August 1997

1700's The known history of this area goes back thousands of years. Indian artifacts found in the area have been dated to as far back as 3500 BC

When the first settlers came to this area, several Indian villages were established around the Gap in Blue Mountain, hence the name Indiantown Gap. The fertile land of the Lebanon Valley, and the abundance of wildlife had the same attraction for the settlers as it did for the early Indians. With the fair treatment the Indians received under William Penn, the settlers and Indians co-existed peacefully at first.

However conflicts between Indian tribes and territorial disputes between European nations eventually lead to the French and Indian War. With the defeat of the British under General Braddock, the hostile Indians began attacking the settlers.
The Blue Mountain formed a natural barrier between the settled area in the rolling hills to the south and the wild mountainous region to the North. The Indians used Indiantown Gap, as well as Manada Gap to the West and Swatara Gap to the east as attack routes. The settlers built fortified barns and houses for refuge. Eventually The government in Philadelphia authorized a chain of blockhouses to be built to stem the attack and garrisoned them with soldiers. Forts were placed by each of the Gaps, the one by Indiantown Gap was known as Browns Fort. The forts were garrisoned by about ten men and were close enough that soldiers on patrol could reach the next fort by the end of the day.
One of the leaders of this time was Conrad Wieser. He had spent many years learning Indian ways and acting as a translator and policy maker during negotiations with the Indian leaders. When the Indian wars broke out in the mid 1700's Weiser organized a militia to defend the area. The State Game Lands adjacent to the north border of the post are named in his honor. The name of Fort Indiantown Gap is the legacy of at least four Indian communities that flourished in the area during the early 1700's. One village was located near what is now the north entrance to Fort Indiantown Gap, and a larger one was at the south entrance.

http://www.wwiifederation.org/igmr_history.html

!LastScan.jpg

Attachments

• !!!6.jpg
    !!!6.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 491
  • !!!5.jpg
    !!!5.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 532
  • !!!4.jpg
    !!!4.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 471
  • !!!3.jpg
    !!!3.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 481
  • !!!2.jpg
    !!!2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 505
  • !!1.jpg
    !!1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 517
  • !!!0.jpg
    !!!0.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 448
  • !!!9.jpg
    !!!9.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 489
  • !!!8.jpg
    !!!8.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 539

Vanillacricket

Jan 28, 2009
Annville
Detector(s) used
Cheap One
Re: Indiantown Gap ; & Vicinity, Indian History

Folsum in palymra?? I think I love you Jeff:) I will post some picts of my finds after I pick my son up. Btw Behind millards quarry in annville Im searching for indian graves rumored to be there from the previous farm owners. Also I know that the highest point in palmyra sits a site if I can figure out where that is. Thanks Jeff

Cricket

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I still need to do annville Later this Evening. :coffee2:

!!1.jpg
!!2.jpg
!!!1.jpg

Sorry that Last Page just won't scan Right

!!!3.jpg

!!!4.jpg
!!!5.jpg

Vanillacricket

Jan 28, 2009
Annville
Detector(s) used
Cheap One

The stockade ive heard about, im going to check some maps see if i can pinpoint it. I live in north palmyra but annville addy

Cricket

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1937 Ariel From Penn Pilot

!dauphin_112437_ahg3918.jpg

Looks like a Trucking Company or Distribution Center there Now ?

But the area of the Pond Looks Awsome

On the Birds Eye View.

Don't know how to Print that out though.

Vanillacricket

Jan 28, 2009
Annville
Detector(s) used
Cheap One

I know where that is now. The pond is actually a filled quarry. Theres a few filled with water. see any good hunting areas?

Vanillacricket

Jan 28, 2009
Annville
Detector(s) used
Cheap One

Yes she has good stuff. She lives in annville in the original miller log house:)

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

any Idea what this is ?

!dauphin_112437_ahg3918.jpg

Appears to Be Track.

High school There ?
Recreational park ?

possable good detecting Site

Did you know.

Burt webber The Treasure Hunter who Found the
Nuestra Senora de la ConcepciĂłn
began his Diving Career Diving the flooded Quarries
in the annville area. & recovering Slot Machines ?

http://thethunderchild.com/GhostGunsVirginia/TreasureWrecks/BurtWebber.html

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure if it was annville or Palmyra,
I think annville.

Back in the 70's I went to a Biker Party/ pig roast South of town at an
old Park.

Would you have any Idea where that would have been ?
the Park had a stage Among other Buildings

I had the impression this was a Yearly thing.

After the Party we went to Twin Grove Park to a Blue Grass Festival.
That is another place I want to detect

Vanillacricket

Jan 28, 2009
Annville
Detector(s) used
Cheap One

Hmm let me look into it, heres the one point I found couple hundred feet up in the hills at marquet

Attachments

• jsw_p1050701.jpg
    jsw_p1050701.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 423

Vanillacricket

Jan 28, 2009
Annville
Detector(s) used
Cheap One

I think it would have been the quittie park in annville was it near water? Heres my best find too bad its broke, came from a park in hummelstown

Attachments

• jsw_p1050697.jpg
    jsw_p1050697.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 405
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's Two more Then I'v found :D

I have a hard time Seeing anything Non Metal ;D

Still Gotta train Myself to look :P

I Don't remember seeing water but I suppose it's Possable

Vanillacricket

Jan 28, 2009
Annville
Detector(s) used
Cheap One

for 20 years work i have maybe 30 but I have fossils too. They are easy once you can identify the rocks:)

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i

I will have to get some pictures of the few points I have left, I sold off quite a few. At one point I was really heavy into it. Then once I got into the buying and selling I got myself a real education on how crooked and greedy people can be, that even fell over in the searching part of the hobby. We had sites (we being myself and a couple of close friends) that we would be digging, and mysteriously while we would be at work or just not there, the sites would magically dig themselves along with beer cans being left all over. The fellas I dug with wherent drinkers, and later we found out just what the heck was happening, being in carbon county and the areas we would frequent our vehicles became more or less the targets, meaning if someone of the certain group would see our cars, that area would be searched until the dig was found and wam, we would be out of luck. So it turned into if you found a site, try and dig it in a day. To me it just got crappy, competition got too stingy, and it just wasnt fun anymore. I have a few really nice points, I will get some pictures of them up soon, your set up seems ideal and you should have a lifetimes worth of finds on that farm.

Anymore to me, diggin up a few wheaties maybe a merc or silver rosie is enough of a thrill, nothing compares to pulling a 4 inch spear head thats been lost for 5000 years out of the ground though. If you have the #7 overstreet arrowheads book, the carbon county stuff in there are artifacts Ive found. (I never have found a clovis though)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jeff of pa said:
1937 Ariel From Penn Pilot

Looks like a Trucking Company or Distribution Center there Now ?

But the area of the Pond Looks Awsome

On the Birds Eye View.

Don't know how to Print that out though.

You're killing me Jeff....

Do you think you'd find any good crap in that Derry-area... :tard:

I'm so utterly sorry...but come on...I couldnt resist.

Al

Hobob

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread I just found my way here. My family goes back a long time in the Palmyra Area. The general mills plant is built where the trading post was located. My Grandfather found artifacts at several sites along the Swatara as well. The track pictured is at the Middle School. The Highest point in the Borough is at Grant and Walnut and completely covered in Houses, street and sinkholes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions