Somerfield, PA ghost town - Under Yough Lake

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
This area is roughly an hour away & where my father's side of the family had settled in way
back in the mid 1700's. I've never seen it where you can actually walk thru it because of the
mud, but you can see the old foundations & the old streambed that comes in from the left.
This lake is drained down somewhat in the fall to allow for winter & spring runoff. It may get
low & dry enough to walk, but I've never seen it. This area is now called Jockey Hollow &
has a boat launch & parking lot today.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
montague_4crop2_1.jpg

A crew of excavators working on Frank Montague's farm, located south of Somerfield along the Youghiogheny River, encountered the eponymous Montague village site. Initial testing of the Montague site was conducted in October and November 1934 as a CWA project with a crew of 30 men, under the supervision of Donald Cadzow, Pennsylvania state archaeologist. Edgar Augustine, supervisor for all subsequent WPA projects in Somerset County, completed excavation of the site from March to July 1936. Of thirty-one dwellings excavated at the Montague site, five were located within a roughly oval palisade, and the remainder was located to its south. Part of the palisade wall had eroded into the Youghiogheny River by the time of the site's excavation. The Montague site is currently under the waters of the Youghiogheny Reservoir.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...merfield+pa&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

Rhonda Marie

Nov 11, 2014
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my father lived here as a small child..I still live near and did walk across the bridge in 1999. was way cool..my father was an avid metal detectee..he has been gone 22 yrs now.thnx for the good memories !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread