OP
OP
J

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
near moraine state park, has stretches of fly fishing only. beautiful trout stream. about 30miles north of pittsburgh...hh.....jb

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if ya find any, you'll be the first person I know of to even mention it.

I've fished up Slippery Rock, ya...it's pretty up there. My buddy fly fished one side of the bridge, I used spinners on the other. Didn't catch anything, but that's not the total point of fishing...more just R&R in a nice place.

A guy I work with is from Slippery Rock. He never mentioned gold in the creek. But I do remember reading in some geology(?) book that Moraine is the Glacial edge...where it halted forward movement. The article alluded to the possibility of gold in the creeks from it being plowed so far south.

Who knows? Maybe you'll strike a load nobody ever suspected was there.

Al

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldie1959 said:
I.ll keep this in mind, Al your new pick looks like you have a Hangover :tongue3:

Lol...naaa...just another boring day running the bobcat at work. Was hot and sunny that day. Days of hangovers are long gone for me...had my share of em in my youth. Got a little smarter (not much) in my older age.

:coffee2: my addiction... :thumbsup:

Al

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Al, don't know about Slippery Rock, but I have heard a guy up here in Potter County say that he and a friend went panning in the Genesee river by the town of the same name, and found a few flakes of gold a couple of years ago; not enough to start a gold rush though.

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
Can't wait to get totally moved . I can meet with you guys ,hunt and BS alot haha. Ill be 15 min from Moraine St.Park and 25? from downtown Sl,Rock.

NCprospector

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is gold in the Slippery Rock Creek. I have also found flakes in the Hell Run (tributary). If anyone is interested in the "areas" I have found gold in the McConnell's Mill area, just let me know... Maybe I can give you the coordinates or we can meet up, as I live only minutes from the Mill.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do the park rangers say about prospecting there ? I'm not far away as well. It can be dangerous there as well. There's a reason it's called Slippery Rock creek...lol. Speaking from experience. A beautiful place for sure.

L

lost hunter

ibjeepn said:
What do the park rangers say about prospecting there ? I'm not far away as well. It can be dangerous there as well. There's a reason it's called Slippery Rock creek...lol. Speaking from experience. A beautiful place for sure.

I would worry about the Fish & Boat Commission while playing around waterways

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

mikey8

Jan 17, 2013
slippery rock, pa
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster 6000 Di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont live too far away and have often thought of places around moraine that might have glacier deposits too. have you since tried slippery rock down by the mill? i would enjoy trying it as soon as the weather is more enjoyable sticking my hand in the cold water...lol also watch out for the mud puppies. they will surprise you when they come up out of the water and scare the heck out of you too if you didnt know what they were... talking from experience here..
let me know if you think of trying it sometime in the near future. i would enjoy joining up with someone else to give it a try.
mike

Dvaria

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is going to slippery rock to try to pan, let me know I will join you.

Mar 10, 2013
ross township,north hills
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet any ideas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone i'm new to the site and would love to go out and check out the creeks with you especially slippery rock creek around mcconnells mills. just let me know. thanks

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'll throw my hat in the ring as well. I've scouted some interesting areas both above and below the damn at McConnell's Mill. I have a couple of pans and a baby sluice. Would be fun to meet up and do some recreational panning.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Poking this old thread.
Did anyone ever get out and try panning some material from Slippery Rock Creek? NCprospector seemed to be confident there was gold - anyone else? Any pictures to share?

I grew up north of there along Lake Erie; I'll be out visiting family later this week in the Butler area, which is what has me thinking about Slippery Rock Creek.
I've found flour gold (-50 Mesh) in Eastern PA at some of our DVGPAA claim locations, so I've had practice finding the small PA gold. I'm wondering if it's worth trying Slippery Rock Creek.

- Brian

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! DVGPAA is our GPAA chapter - Delaware Valley Gold Prospectors Association of America. www.dvgpaa.com. You can join there. You do NOT have to be a GPAA member. We draw our membership from Eastern PA as well as a few from NJ (like me), Delaware and even NY State.
Our website has a pretty active forum; I'm bcmc53 on there.
- Brian

Lofreco

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2011
Cumming, GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark and Compadre Metal Detectors
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am an experienced prospector new to the North Pittsburgh, PA area.
Please contact me and we can test Moraine park and Slippery Rock. I have all the gear.
John

Woogie3095

Jul 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also just moved up here to PA , i live near cranberry . I am ex military with a 4wd Jeep , but no mining experience of any kind. But if your looking for a buddy to check out slippery rock area i am interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread