Are permits required in order to metal detect along the Susquehanna river in PA?

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is on state parks, not sure about state game lands,private prop ask permission, try to PM JEFF of PA he is a mod here and can help out more than me

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is on state parks, not sure about state game lands,private prop ask permission, try to PM JEFF of PA he is a mod here and can help out more than me

Sorry not familiar with the Sus'kee right along the MD line.

General rule of thumb I go by up here:

but it's not an easy answer,

if it is a state park ask at the park office if you need a permit. some state parks require permits to detect

If state game lands no you cannot hunt state game lands.

if it is public land & open to fishing it should be open to detecting.
unless it's fish commission property. then ask fish commission officer

if private property, which I'm not sure if it exists along the river it would need permission.

If in Harrisburg don't bother. recreation commission in harrisburg doesn't believe in recreatiion.
not sure on the cops

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jim, for pete's sakes, were you planning on wearing bright yellow, and going in the middle of an archie convention? I mean, heck, you're just looking for the boyscout ring your dad lost there when he was a kid, right? If you're concerned if there's a "specific" law saying "no metal detectors", then simply find out the entity that controls the land you're on (state, city, county, etc...) and go to their website. There's invariably a charter, or parks rules, or whatever, etc.... there. (eg.: park closes at sunset, dogs on-leash only, no nudity, etc...). If you see nothing that says "no metal detectors", then presto, I guess it must not be prohibited :)

OP
OP
J

JimH

Jul 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your replies. I was thinking about MD'ing just south of Holtwood, PA near the river, and possibly under the connecting bridge.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds just like the Berks County Parks and Recreation department.

You can pan for gold and you can keep it but no other equipment or you will need a permit. If you can prove there is something there :treasurechest: then they will give you the paperwork for a permit and good luck trying to get one. You can metal detect on public land with hand held detectors, No two box detectors, GPL's, Longe Range Locator or Radar but again when you go bigger you need permits. DCNR allows paning and detecting in a small scale under the hobby laws but again no digging below 3" to 6". If they see you with a shovel or pick RUN :laughing7:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread