Any ham operators?

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there! I'm a geNo amp, so I'm running only loowneral class also. I'm in EM21sn and I use an ICOM IC 7000 with an 80m double bazooka at ~30 ft. No amp, so I'm only running 100W.

73, HH, and GL

KE5YQP

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chris, I'm in FN10np running a TS-430S, an MFJ 949B Versa Tuner and a 40 meter dipole @ abt 15', but with the tuner, I'm pretty flexible on other bands. No amp, stock power, nothing fancy. Nice to meet you!
HH and 73,
Craig-KB3BEL

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just had HAM and Green Beans, does that count? And Bacon is to die for. 73's

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, well I guess that does technically make you a ham operator!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hamboy.jpg

Been working 15meters lately. Talked to a guy out of Moscow a couple of days ago from my truck.

Got almost as many radios as I've got detectors-

Maybe more if you include a couple of VX-7's I no longer use.

My neatest contact was with my VX-8DR and an arrow antenna- 2 meters, contact made with the International Space Station.

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
73 de N4X** been licensed since 77' / General class. Not very active. Just re hooked up dual bander in truck. My Kenwood TS 940 was hit by lightening during a EF 2 Tornado and most of my antennas are knocked over. I have one of those small Icoms ( all bands ) I could probably put on the air with a wire and and i have a TS450 somewhere. We could have a net next winter. Used to like VHF / UHF Contesting in The smokies

I worked WALTER Cronkite , King Hussian , Patty Loveless ( country singer ) . Ronnie Milsap Country singer. The Bass Player of 38 Special ...whatever his name is. I worked a Russian Ice Breaker at The North Pole and worked the KC6 AAA station in Antarctica. Once I worked 200 countries in one weekend during a World Wide CQ contest. Used to live it and love it. Used go to Dayton every year , met Joe Walsh but hardly give it a thought these days. I kept waiting for the bands to open up during the low of the sunspot cycle and they did not come back when they were supposed to. It was very discouraging , i just gave up. i even have a custom shack sitting in the house full of junk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My time is pretty limited lately, but mainly on 40 meters, but can't wait until 10 opens up more. If I have ANY spare time during nice days, I'm swinging the DFX, but rainy days and evenings I'll spend on the radio. I too, lived on the ham bands, but now marriage, family and work are my priorities which leads to little spare time. Cool contacts, BTW!

GWalter

Apr 19, 2014
Athens,PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from FN11QW, metal detecting and ham radio are my top two hobbies. I can't seem to find enough time for either as well. My shack is dual purpose, also used as my sons bed room once he returns from collage. Maybe see you down the log book.

73's
Greg-N3UPN

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg,
Nice to meet you! I've been up your way a few times. My original QTH is eastern Lyco. Cty. where Sullivan, Columbia and Lyco. meet. If you do some 40 or 80 meters, we could chat sometime. My current "get on the air quick" shack is in a corner of our upholstery shop. :)

GWalter

Apr 19, 2014
Athens,PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Craig
Sounds like we should make a schedule. Did get out this morning with the detector found a wheat penny and a silver ring and some clad.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140504_092007.png
    ForumRunner_20140504_092007.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 85

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
ham3.jpg

Nice find Walter... I love finding rings.

Sound's like one of the band's needs a MD'ing Net.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg, if you're available in the mornings, say 6AM-9-ish, we may be able to hook up on either 40 or 80 meters, 40 would be my choice. I'm off for the next two weeks from work, so I'm good for about any day. BTW, nice finds!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fire up the sideband CB, no funnies, barefoot mostly, 37& 38 lsb ... Longest skips Australia, New South Wales

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is good to know HAM radio is still alive! My Dad was a HAM "W3LQV" and a Member of MARS back in the 50-70s. He was a radio man in the Coast Guard during WWII. Unfortunately he got Early Onset Alzheimer's shortly after I was born and the radio gear was disposed of before I was old enough to get into it. I do recall learning the alphabet in Morse code as a child and hearing him keying in the next room when I was supposed to be asleep. I think if my father had not gotten sick, he would have been into MD in the 70s and 80s.. probably would have built his own MD as he was into electronics (HI FI as well as Amature Radio) Glad you guys are still around, if the **** ever hits the fan, you guys will be the only ones that may still be able to communicate, at least according to all the post apocalypse movies! :)

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran alot of CB before I got into ham and had alot of fun with it. My best contact on CB was to Wales. I still have my CB gear and fire it up once in a while.
Doug, that's a neat story. Your father paved the way for us hams in the future. Back then, you had send and receive code and many times you had to build your own transmitter to get licensed. We have it so easy today!
73 and HH!
Craig-KB3BEL

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture from before I was born..
Dad2.jpg

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great pic! It looks like most of his equipment is military surplus which was the norm for hams as it was cheap and easy to get. Thanks for sharing!

GWalter

Apr 19, 2014
Athens,PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Craig
That sounds good to me. I work 3rd shift so 8:30 would be good for me. Pick a day and frequency and we can do it.
73's
N3UPN

OP
OP
C

Craig in PA

Apr 16, 2012
Dalmatia, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's try 40 meters at 8:30, say between 7.175 and 7.300. I'll call for you for around 30 minutes, just tune around and try to pick me up. 40 is full of nets around that time of day, but I think I can find a slot in there. I'll start t-row (5-6) and if we don't hook up, I'll try the next day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread