Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg

23.jpg

CENTRALIA – State police are reminding people that spray painting old Route 61 is illegal, but the graffiti is more than illegal, it’s nearly a mile of memories.

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

“Centralia is unique in its entire situation with it being now abandoned and it was once a relatively large community, at least in the southern end of Columbia County. It had multiple churches and businesses but it’s now essentially an abandoned town,” Cpl. Corey Wetzel, patrol unit supervisor, said Wednesday.

z.jpg

“We want everyone to be aware it is illegal and they can be charged with criminal mischief.”

Vehicles once traveled over the 0.7-mile road, an original part of Route 61, until it became too damaged for traffic.

x.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

A mine fire has been burning under the borough since 1962, causing nearly all of its residents to evacuate and leaving the roads in disrepair with massive cracks and plant overgrowth. Now, people travel on foot over the graffiti highway for tourism and memories.

i.jpg

“If you search for urban exploration, Centralia will come up. If you go there on a weekend, you’ll see a number of vehicles parked – presumably people out looking,” Wetzel said.

read more :

State police warn against graffiti on Centralia highway - News - Republican Herald

Last edited:

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
Just up there on Thursday with our foreign exchange student from Germany. I think that this really cool. The cops should be chasing speeders, stop sign runners or drug dealers instead of worrying about this. Your tax dollars at work.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
They need to erect toll booths.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread