Relic Hunting

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I did end up going up in May but didn't have a chance to actually check out the West Branch of Hicks Run. I did however find the splash dam on Lost Run. That is an easy one to find in the Queanna Wild Area. IMG_1639 (2).JPG

Attachments

• Queanna complete map.jpg
    Queanna complete map.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 84

Timbersnort

Mar 16, 2018
PA Wilds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've pulled together enough field evidence that matches the newspaper article towards locating the swimming hole.

View attachment 1819612 a.png
"Kelley's bull pups" reference assumes the Smith camp would have been near Kelly's camp 1st or 2nd. Kelley's 1st camp was in an area where there were other nearby camps.

View attachment 1819616 b.png

"deep swimming hole at the old lower dam, a mile below the camp" reference is close in field at 1.2 miles from the Kelley 1st camp to the old dam & swimming hole.

View attachment 1819619 c.png
4/6/20 looking downstream at old lower dam, fill embankments evident on west and east sides that tie into banks, dug out excavations just above both tie in sides that fill came from for dam.
View attachment 1819620 d.png

1941 Dug swim hole pier Dug dam fill material.png
1941 aerial of dug swim hole with possible earthen or platform pier

Dug swim hole fill to upstream dam embankment.png
Dug swimming hole, defined dug banks, interesting the pool is incised with no embankment holding water back, currently 6' deep but full of fine sediment not rocky floor like up an downstream has. Excavated swim hole dirt likely used on upstream dam embankment. I've driven by this thousands of times over 25 years working in this area and never noticed the old dam abutments until putting boots on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ! I Fixed your Pics that weren't Showing.

Thanks For the Info :coffee2:

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ! I Fixed your Pics that weren't Showing.

Thanks For the Info :coffee2:

Thanks for that info. Finally going to make it up there for a few days. so I got projects galore up that way now LOL.

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading up that way tomorrow to check out a couple things over a couple days. With the CoVid-19 going on, it totally screwed up a bunch of things I was planning on doing over this vacation. No big deal. with the information I got for here (Thank you very much), I should be able to find it no problem. Maybe cause I am getting older, I find that finding these places hidden off the beaten path and the history they contain the treasure. Call me sentimental, but learning about these places and passing them on to others perserves them in a way.

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, found the swimming hole too. The Beavers found it easy to use what was left of the headwall to damn up. But enjoy the pictures.

IMG_2592 (2).JPG IMG_2594 (2).JPG IMG_2596 (2).JPG IMG_2601 (2).JPG

Jlen82

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2019
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stayed at a cabin on Hicks Run for a week 2 summers ago. I wish I was a member of this site then so I would have known about this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread