Smiths Camp & the Swimming hole in Hicks run. 1903 Cameron County
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Smiths Camp & the Swimming hole in Hicks run. 1903 Cameron County

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    42478 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Smith's Camp & the Swimming hole in Hicks run. 1903 Cameron County

Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Pgh Pa
    Garrett Ace 250
    66 times
    I do a lot of my medal detecting at Hicks Run. Guess I’ll have to look for remnants of a dam.
    Thanks

Jul 2012
    836 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kromar3336 View Post
    I do a lot of my medal detecting at Hicks Run. Guess I’ll have to look for remnants of a dam.
    Thanks
    You should head over to Dents Run and look for the Civil War Gold...oh wait, it's been found.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42189 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    cool post
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    Mar 2015
    Pgh Pa
    Garrett Ace 250
    66 times
    been going to that area since the 70’s. Haven’t found it yet

us
    Dec 2009
    Baden, PA
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    69 times
    Our camp isn't too far from there at all. I might try and look for it myself. As I siad in another post, I am heading up that way in May and to get to camp, we have to head the whole way up Hicks Run Road to a little bit past the split where East and West Hicks come together. I'm thinking it could be a possibility that the dam might have been upstream of the split on either of the branches.
    jeff of pa and Rebel - KGC like this.
    I think I am, therefore, I am, I think. George Carlin

us
    Dec 2009
    Baden, PA
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    69 times
    Tonight I am going to refer to my ghost town book to see if I can narrow down where the dam was at. I am thinking that dam was put there because of the lumber industry that Mr Dubois started there. Yes the same person that founded Dubois. Hicks Run was established in 1904 not too far removed from the news paper article. Once I can get some info out of the book, well if, then I can jump on Google Earth and possibly narrow things down. The town of Hicks Run wasn't where I thought it would be, so that kind of tosses a small wrinkle in things.

VonDigger
    Last edited by VonDigger; Feb 20, 2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Rebel - KGC and jeff of pa like this.

us
    Dec 2009
    Baden, PA
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    69 times
    This is what I came up with. I'm just working the main creek and not the branches. Between points a and b is where I am thinking the dam could have been which has been long lost to time by this point. I'm still thinking it could be up the West Branch, thats something I would have to go and drive aain, but I think there might have been a couple pools that could have been big enough to swim in up there. I just can't remember where. If one knew exactly where Smith's Camp was, then narrowing down where the dam is would be much easier. And since I am sitting 176 miles away from it right nw, it's not like I can just run up there LOL. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hicks Run.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	494.7 KB 
ID:	1683086

The book I have on ghost towns was somewhat useless, but it did give me a good idea of where the town was. That can be another post for another day.
    Last edited by VonDigger; Feb 20, 2019 at 09:30 PM.

us
    Dec 2009
    Baden, PA
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    69 times
    One thing I didn't mention in the above post is that the East Branch heads up through the Whipporwill and there isn't much up that way in swimming holes or dams. As I said in another post, I am going to take a day or 2 and head up that way in May. So I might be able to check some things out. There are a couple of things I want to check out myself while I am up there.

VonDigger

us
    Dec 2009
    Baden, PA
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    69 times
    I'm interested, but at this point I need to get boots on the ground so I can actually see what is going on. I did see on an older mad that there isn't a West Hicks run, just an East hicks run and that West Hicks run was just marked Hicks run as in the main channel and not a feeder. So I am thinking that the swimming hole could be up what is now called West Hicks Run. In fact, I do recall any remnants of a dam below the camping area.

us
    Dec 2009
    Baden, PA
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    69 times
    One more thing that I came across in regards to the lumber industry is that it could of been what they called a splash dam. They used those dams to raise the water level to float logs down smaller streams but creating a swell of water from behind. Like I said before though, I need to get boots on the ground and check things out.

VonDigger

Jul 2012
    836 times
    I was thinking splash dam too. Hicks Run is too small to have a natural hole 16ft. deep. I have come across old splash dam remains. Just look for unnatural piles of dirt along both sides of the stream. But, over time, flood waters may have washed the dirt away.

Jul 2012
    836 times
    I'm wondering if "Kellys bull pups" came from a lumber camp. There was a guy named Kelly who had a huge logging operation at the turn of the century in Hicks Run.

us
    Dec 2009
    Baden, PA
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star
    69 times
    I'm going to have to look into that. Going to be up there in May. For some reason, I'm thinking that "hole" could have been up the West Branch and not on Hicks Run.

Jul 2012
    836 times
    Tom Tabors "Whining Saws and Squealing Flanges" tells about Kellys logging and has a map showing his 2 camp locations. Some of this area is State Game Land. You can't dig or remove anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links