York Camp Meeting, Shrewsbury Campground

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://screenshots.firefox.com/5f7lHhAaskCMMhlb/chroniclingamerica.loc.gov
Direct link to newspaper: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...ting&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

I was talking to my husband last night about what kind of search terms to include when searching the old newspapers, and it just hit me -- camp meetings! These used to be very popular and had quite an attendance and were usually held at the same place for years. I haven't found any for my area that pinpoint the location, but I found this one for York county to share.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 70s I used to look for church campgrounds as in the late 1800 and early 1900s a lot of religious groups has summer campgrounds where they had camp meetings and retreats. Hunted Washington, Green, Fayette, Allegheny counties in Penna. and found a few. Seems like money always fell out of the collection plate somewhere!!!

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 70s I used to look for church campgrounds as in the late 1800 and early 1900s a lot of religious groups has summer campgrounds where they had camp meetings and retreats. Hunted Washington, Green, Fayette, Allegheny counties in Penna. and found a few. Seems like money always fell out of the collection plate somewhere!!!

Was it really worth your time? I would imagine one of these would be a good place to hit. There's potential for lost jewelry as well as coins. I am sure the same area was used time and time again, albeit a large area was probably covered. Some of the larger ones were said to have had 200 tents set up, so that was surely a lot of people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread