Civil War battle of Monterey PA

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
Here is the story

http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/civil_war/the_battle_of_monterey.htm

Here is a place to look at the aerial and topo's of the area.

http://maps.pasda.psu.edu/website/I...ls=ZOOMIN&xmin=189&ymin=337&xmax=597&ymax=135

Can't wait to be able to go up and check this place out. It's only 5 min. from where I live.

Note: the 2 cannons never recovered. They are up there somewhere.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
yea, I researched the retreat route and came across this last year but due time and distance constraints never followed up on it. If you can secure permission for the private property it could prove to be interesting. If you read "Retreat from Gettysburg" there are what could prove to be very good locations in that area.
BJW

OP
OP
M

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
I am waiting until I get my first Medal detector before I try and get permission. I don't forsee any problems getting permission. The township owns alot of land up there and I have some contacts at the township. I know one of the other property owners up also. Can't wait to get my detector and go look.

Here is another site on that area also.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/montereypass/contents/emmitsburg_waynesboro_pike.htm

ArmyOps

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2007
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, GTA 350 , Master Hunter CX Plus
I grew up at the base of the mountain in Rouzerville. Previously Waterloo. I have always wanted to check the area since i was a kid in school hearing of the wagons that went over the "cliffs" in the thunderstorm during the retreat of the Rebels.

I hit the area along the old Waynesboro Road last week. The steepest areas bordering the road is littered with soda cans, glass bottles, trash, car parts and anything else you could chuck from a passing car window or that would fall off from a car crash.

You need to be part mountain goat to check the hill sides on the steepest parts of the old waynesboro Road. Most of the area is posted No Tresspassing. Located one of the largest land owners and did secure permission. ( Bettween Monterey and Waterloo) The area was disturbed years ago by the water authority who really tore up the are around the Buena Vista road intersection. It appears that much of the hill sides were not wooded back then. There are several trees that appear to be over 150 years old right by the sharp bend at the Buena Vista Road fork.

I found a bullet that appears to have been fired from a cannon. It struck rock, but was either tumbling or fired from a cannon since it is pretty flat and scraped on it's rear and side. The tip is very round and does not appear to have struck anything. It is currently out in the car. I will have to definitely i.d. it and I will post a pic on the site here.
It may be a LINDER Carbine round.

About five years ago, a local fellow was in the woods in the area saw what he thought was a pipe sticking out of the ground by an old tree. He pulled it out of the ground and realized that it was an old muzzle loader. A local historian checked it out and believed it was left there since the civil war.

There is a lot of iron in the soil/rocks and with all of the trash, and hot rocks, it makes for a difficult area to search.

Many people have checked the area. I was told by a large land owner there that the area has been tapped out, but I find it hard to believe. I know that it was hit hard by detectors but there is always something to find.

I have permission to hunt several posted areas. Timber Rattlers and Copperheads are really happening in the area due to all the rocks, so now is the best time to do the hunting.

See Don at Gettysburg Electronics and get a detector then look me up.

Have a good one, D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread