Permits for PA MDing

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Hi neighbors,
I wanted to check with locals on Permits for MDing in PA. I was trying to find out where they were required, where to get them, cost, etc. I am in SE PA - Chester and Montgomery Co. and sometimes visit Delaware Co. but would be glad to hear from anyone in PA who would be kind enough to share their personal knowledge and experiences with this matter. I had noticed a previous post about Bucks Co. where Bodyguard had some info and wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws. Thanks in advance for your input!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well you're not breaking any laws unless you are MD'ing where it is prohibited and this almost always is a public park or historical site that is off-limits to MD'ing. You don't need a permit to MD unless you are MD'ing in a park where you require a permit to do so. The only way you can find out is to call the park office and ask the rangers if it's ok to MD at that site etc. Some counties like Bucks require a permit to hunt in their county parks and they do have some sites/parks that are off limits to any MD'ing because they have been declared historical sites. If you talk to the county park commission of Chester and Mont. - I'm sure they will explain their policy. The same holds true of state parks - some allow MD'ing and others do not. If they catch you MD'ing - the rangers will let you know the policy for certain.

and don't forget to fill your holes wherever you hunt. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread