Port Perry, Pa.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Have been researching a site about Port Perry, a small town that existed above Braddock,Pa.. Port Perry was at the mouth of Turtle
Creek where it empties into the Monongahela River. This town was larger at the time than Braddock and supposedly residents from Braddock shopped there. The area the US Steel plant now covers was said to be a large grove of hickory trees where children were sent to pick nuts. This would be the area where General Braddock & his troops would have crossed the river. The first white man to settle west of the Allegheny Mts. (Frazier) had permission from Queen Alliquippa to settle at the mouth of Turtle Creek. I learned that Turtle Creek had been diverted & the creek now enters the Mon. river approx, 1100 feet south or upriver of the original course. This was done for further expansion of the steel mill in later years. So the majority of the town of Port Perry, the village of Hamburg and part of Braddock's Field has been covered by the steel mill.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isnt progress wonderful? >:(

You take paradise, put up a parking lot.......

The same goes for Chief Guyasuta's homestead in Sharpsburg....covered over to build the Highland Park bridge ramp.

And Pennsylvania government doesnt want us metal detectorists ruining historic sites with our little holes for some coins... ??? Or on state game lands....

Al

OP
OP
Tubecity

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Just like Point State Park, all those so called improvements to
an obvious historical site just to make more space for & more money
from the Pitts. Art Festival. I refuse to to have anything to do with
anything going on in that city & will not spend a dollar down there.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
While "improving" Point State Park, they have had to stop at least twice because they have found what could possibly be an old cemetary and possible remains of the original fort. But yet our little holes are destroying history. Talk about a double standard. They can destroy old cemeteries and the remains of the old fort for more concert space because they are the governement. Talk about total Bulls**t.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah they're talking about selling off parts of Gettysburg too! Putting in a shopping mall or something like that. I'll bet they won't allow any MD'ers in there before they bulldoze and build whatever. >:(

OP
OP
Tubecity

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
These people won't be happy until everything is concrete & asphalt with a Wal-Mart located every 1/4 mile. And they don't want us digging a fist sized hole.
Maybe if MD'ing clubs offered kickbacks......?

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
With these people they all don't care. They rather throw it away before they let us preserve it! I have offered my services in the past and had other Archaeologist's backing me up but POLITICS always get in the way. I can tell you how many Colonial sites in the past 20 years have been bulldozed and concreted. There has been too many that have disappeared! luckily some I did save some artifacts. Plus I still have the memories of the sites before they were all gone.

Clubs offing a sweetener?? Well I think most of the clubs around here cannot except maybe the Butler Club could maybe pull it off. Most Clubs here in western,pa. are mainly little social events that they bull??it what they are going to do,but never do it. I know I have been there! It's frustrating I know. That's way you do it yourself or someone that are willing to help you. These clubs just can't get along with each other.( each other membership individually)

Sorry for the long post, but you'll see where I am coming from and see way we have to do ourself s. Well taker care and I hope this does not stir too much stuff up. But it is the truth! The truth hurts. Thats way we are going to lose our rights because of all the POLITICS involved in the clubs. Well all I can say is KEEP THE FAITH!

Bill(pa)

Tubecity said:
These people won't be happy until everything is concrete & asphalt with a Wal-Mart located every 1/4 mile. And they don't want us digging a fist sized hole.
Maybe if MD'ing clubs offered kickbacks......?

OP
OP
Tubecity

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I was only making that kickback statement as a slap towards the politicians.
I belonged to the Monroeville MD'ing club for a few years & thought they were a good group with interesting meetings & programs including some knowledgable speakers. My own personal schedule & one unkept promise and
I let my membership lapse. But I enjoyed the time spent with them, they were
a good group of MD'ers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread