🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF This goes Through, Hamburg may become
Non Detecting. Maybe even on Private Properties
Like Hawk Mountain Sanctuary.

Hamburg community pursues wildlife habitat certification

01/02/2008
— A local community development group is working to get Hamburg recognized for its efforts to preserve and promote its natural resources.

According to Deena Kershner, program manager for the Hamburg Our Town Foundation, members of Hamburg’s Blueprint Community committee have launched an effort to have Hamburg designated as a certified community wildlife habitat site by the National Wildlife Federation.

“One of the goals established by our Blueprint Community committee was to find ways to promote the arts and nature in our area — two things that the Hamburg area is known for,” Kershner said. “Becoming a certified wildlife community is one of the ways that we can promote our natural resources.”

Achieving the national designation may also help the borough secure grants to promote and develop natural and open space recreational areas, Kershner said.

According to program guidelines established by the National Wildlife Federation, a certified community wildlife habitat is defined as a community that provides habitat for wildlife throughout the community — from individual back yards to public areas such as parks and community gardens.

Kay L. Greenawalt, a member of the Blueprint Community committee that is spearheading the certification effort, said if Hamburg becomes a certified community wildlife habitat, it would be the first community in Pennsylvania and one of only 21 communities in the country to achieve the distinction.

“So far, we have many people in the community that are very receptive to the idea, including teachers in our local school district,” she said. “That’s great, because that means we will have young people in the community involved in the process.”

Officials at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary and the Berks County Conservancy have also pledged their support, she said.

According to the National Wildlife Federation, to be certified as a community wildlife habitat, a community must demonstrate that it has made it a priority to provide habitat for wildlife by providing the four basic elements that all wildlife need: food, water, cover and places to raise young, according to program guidelines.

It should also develop ways to educate its residents about sustainable gardening practices — such as reducing or eliminating chemical fertilizers and pesticides, conserving water, composting, planting native plants and removing invasive plants — and organize community events — such as workshops about gardening for wildlife and stream or trail cleanups — with the goal of making the community healthier for wildlife and people alike, Greenawalt said.

Communities earn points according to population size in order to become certified; Hamburg — which has a population of approximately 4,100 — would have to earn 250 points to achieve certification.

Greenawalt said each community needs to earn those points in four categories to officially achieve certification: habitat certification, education, community projects and administrative goals.

To get the process started, participating communities are encouraged to form local “habitat teams,” which are groups of four to ten people who represent different sectors of the community, including schools, church groups, elected officials, civic groups, environmental and conservation groups and local business and industries.

A habitat team is responsible for researching the community and developing goals, a vision statement and an action plan based on the results of their research.

Teams will also compile project notebooks — binders or scrapbooks that include documentation of the community’s various projects such as newspaper or magazine articles about the project, kick-off events, workshops and presentations, and photos from community events.

The process will take time, effort and commitment from the Hamburg community to move forward, Greenawalt said.

“Everything is still in the early planning stages,” Greenawalt said. “It’s a lengthy process, a five-year goal.”

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19160975&BRD=2626&PAG=461&dept_id=532624&rfi=6

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A five year goal....better get busy detecting NOW!

Didn't they just build that monster sporting goods place outside Hamburg?

I've been through Hamburg...there's a nursery there I stop at when I come back home from visiting my brother in Philly. I didnt think there were that many people there. It's been a few years since though.

But...definately sounds like an unwanted trend if it means more restrictions on our hobby. Some stuffed shirt wants a name for themselves and it's gonna cost us all. It's not like wildlife isn't going to eat your garden anyhow or bed down in your stand of pine trees.

Geeze...why can't people just leave well enough alone....
Al

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if some had their way the animals would be living
in homes & Human beings would be 2nd. Class Citizens
caring for them.

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
yeah, they just built a GIANT cabella's up there.
complete with a huge aquarium, the hall of trophy deer,
and several huge diaromas featuring very large taxidermy pieces.
kind of ironic, eh???

Plus berks counts as one of the top PA counties in deer hunting.
I am sure the hunters are not going to like it that much.
they need to implement some sort of environmental protection
with the way they are building up the area, but the NWF??? no thanks.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justine093 said:
yeah, they just built a GIANT cabella's up there.
complete with a huge aquarium, the hall of trophy deer,
and several huge diaromas featuring very large taxidermy pieces.

kind of ironic, eh???

I still Havn't Stopped in there Yet.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
The Cabella's store is pretty impressive, at least it is to me.
What I'm trying to understand with the Hamburg proposal is what the real point is. And to quote, "the arts and nature in our area — two things that the Hamburg area is known for,” Huh? Since when? Nature is the whole region and what arts?
Being familiar with the Hamburg area for the last fifty years I also never thought it had much historical significance. And while the canal passed by/through in the days of the river commerce Port Clinton has more historical background in that regard.
Like many small communites today I can understand the desire to improve their present status but come on, this is just another example of two of the local "wanna be's" trying to be recognized on a bigger stage. If failure is an option hopefully that will be the result.
BJW

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
that's the problem..
hamburg, like many towns in the area
(phoenixville, spring city, st. peters village, even reading)
they ALL "wanna-be" the next Manayunk or Bethlehem.
great in theory, but in reality...bah.
we don't need anymore crappy, overpriced, wanna be, artsy fartsy towns in PA.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
There also was a little village in my area (south-western Pa.) known as
Hamburg. It was upriver from Braddock, Pa. near the old town of Port
Perry. In fact, there is the legend of the Hamburg ghost, which is a man
who supposedly committed suicide by jumping into a ladle of molten steel
near the turn of the last century & is said to have been seen in the present day steel plant which has grown over the site of the village of Hamburg. This has been written about in a book about haunted Pittsburgh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread