No Metal Detecting Pinchot State Park Beach this year.

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
I was on the phone for about an hour this morning talking to the park managment at Gilford Pinchot State Park this morning. Pinchot is rewriting their rules on metal detecting because of some problems that have come up over the last year. The way it looks is the guys who do metal detect there will need to apply for a permit. The permit and rules should be decided with in the week. But what came up in the conversation is the water detecting of the Quaker Race Beach. No water scoops or stainers will be allowed. They do not want anything used that will disrupt the bottom of the beach. The problem is the sand. They stated that the sand cannot be disturb. The worry is the holes. They are worried that the holes will not be filled and the swimmers will fall in next year. So at this point they are going to decide if you can metal detect the water and not be allowed to dig what you find or just not allowing the OCT 1 opening to water hunting at all. Again nothing has been writen yet but there will be a meeting with in the next week or so, where the rules will be decided and published. The Park office is at 2200 Rosstown Road Lewisberry PA 17339 phone is 717-432-5011 and park manager is Bill Rosevear.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The swimmers will fall in?

Fall into what? How big of craters do they think people are forming with strainers or scoops?

I'd love to know what kind of problems they've had in the past.

That really is a "catch-all" phrase. We've had problems in the past......can you cite them please?

Maybe it's fish mating and creating their nests that are making the holes...or maybe little Joey playing with his bucket and pail making those holes....

Are they going to restrict people from making sand castles?

Can they honestly prove it's some metal detectorist's doing it?

I dont think holes along a water line will remain that long..even in a small landlocked lake.

Al

OP
OP
thunter95

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
The problem Pinchot Managment is having is with all aspects of metal detecting. Newbies are digging holes with garden shovels 2 and 3 spades in size and not filling them in. Guys that should know better filling holes with the sod down. So they have brown dirt holes. The Quaker Race beach area below the sidewalk is supposed to be closed to detecting from memorial day until OCT 1. Because the crowds on weekends. They have to chase out newbies at least once or twice a day. The Management feels it is becoming a hassel. So what they want to do is go with permits. I am in no way defending either side. I hunt Pinchot on a regular basis and I feel I am well recieved because I have been called to help locate missing items. I just feel Pinchot Managment has the right to regulate anything that happens in the park. So if this means permits then so be it. As for the water hunting. I have no clue what they are thinking. When you use even the big scoops like big brutes and stealths they should fill in with in days from water movement. But again it is their park to look after.

OP
OP
thunter95

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
It is official. Permits were started this morning 9/4/08 and I was the first. Permits are required to be carried at all times while detecting. Water hunting will be allowed to the depth of the kneecap. Beach areas will be allowed to water detecting after Sept 30. Equipment the creates depressions of the lake bottom are not permitted. This includes devises such as siphons, buckets, strainers and bailers.

Attachments

• pinchotpermit.jpg
    pinchotpermit.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 799

Adigan

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2008
Dover, PA
Haven't been on in a few months, but thanks for the permit update, was wondering what they were going to do. Been hunting (metal and animal) there since I moved back from Alaska because it's close. Now I just have to decide which one to take: the MD or the shotgun...think I need slings for both.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I just got into metal detecting and live 10 minutes from Pinchot Park. Does anyone know what areas are off limits to detecting? I haven't gotten a chance to get a permit yet, but I was thinking about researching some of the old farms that used to lie within the park boundaries.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i think the permit is free, not sure how long its good for but my guess is the year. (i'm just goin by what i heard from someone else so i could be totally wrong)

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
The permit is good for a year from the date your permit is issued to you. Unfortunately, all of the old farm and house foundations scattered throughout the park are off limits to detecting per the metal detecting rules.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread