Found Old Train Station on a 1876 Map

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hoping to get my hubby to take me down where it used to be to look around and explore. He knows the area better than me. There was a road that went down over the hill to it, but it has been blocked off for many years. The only way to get back there is to walk or drive where the old railroad used to come through. My hubby said he has walked down over the hill where the road used to be and he remembers caves being in the hillside. This area was known for Indian battles. After I check the area out I will return with my MD and see what I come up with.

Sue

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Oh Sue...please let us know if you make it there and the wonderful discoveries you find! That sounds so exciting!!

Good luck, be safe and have fun,
Annmarie

PS: if you want me to see what I can find in the newspapers about this area, let me know....there just may be something in the papers that will indicate more than just the railroad :)...just PM me....otherwise, have a great time!!!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Sounds like a great time. Please let us know what you find. We all love pictures.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be other stuff along with the depot.

I've got an old depot site here, and I never found anything besides junk iron.

Hardly anyone else knows about it, so I doubt if it was worked over.

Keep us posted, or email me.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just watch noone locks a gate behind you...hahaha.

Kidding. Good luck. Have you cased out the old tunnel yet in Hyde Park? Wondering how old that pic was originally.

Al

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
deepskyal said:
Just watch noone locks a gate behind you...hahaha.

Kidding. Good luck. Have you cased out the old tunnel yet in Hyde Park? Wondering how old that pic was originally.

Al

The gate was locked before I could get through. :(

The only way I going to get back there is to hike down the old road which is steep, or hike back a mile or so where the RR tracks used to be. I also found out that there was a popular swimming area near where the station was. I was talking to a neighbor to see if he knew of any other way to get back there only to find out that the guy that owns the land has been excavating it and has big equipment down there. Regardless, I still would like to walk back and see what I can find if I could find someone to walk with me (hint :wink:). Being that I am not from this area, I just don't feel comfortable, that is why my hubby was going to go back with me today. He grew up around here.

Al, I haven't made my way to Hyde Park to check out that tunnel. I am searching some other info up that way too. I am hoping to get up there this week to check out Hyde Park and several other places. I found another pic from up that way that I am trying to find out the exact location. I will PM you link for pic and info and see if you can figure it out.

Sue

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Son and I walked half of the trail. Glad I took my camera, because I got alot more then what I expected. We didn't even make it to where the train station is supposed to be. We did find alot of foundations that I have no idea what they were, belong to or when they were built.
Bridge Pillars--
100_1526a_320x240.jpg
100_1527a_320x240.jpg

A walking trail from somewhere over the hill--
100_1529a_320x240.jpg
100_1530a_320x240.jpg

Here is the first foundation we came upon--
100_1532a_320x240.jpg

Another foundation--
100_1533a_320x240.jpg

Foundation with a cave/door--
100_1534a_320x240.jpg

Brick foundation--
100_1535a_320x240.jpg

Other side of brick foundation--
100_1536a_320x240.jpg

Cement cave--
100_1537a_320x240.jpg

Cave foundation--
100_1538a_320x240.jpg

Another pic of cave foundation--
100_1539a_320x240.jpg

Foundation with white spots--
100_1541a_320x240.jpg

Brick building (I thought that this was train station but was told I didn't walk back in far enough)--
100_1542a_320x240.jpg

Brick foundation found across from brick building--
100_1543a_320x240.jpg

Another pic of above foundation--
100_1544a_320x240.jpg

Sue

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
search the foundations! Looks to me that you have a really interesting area to work on. You might want to wait until the vegetation dies off. You also might want to use a smaller coil than stock around the foundations.
Good Luck!
BJW

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
WOW!!!! What a great site! I would have been so excited to find an unknown spot like that! I'll bet you'll find some really interesting stuff there!

vicki

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sue,

Is this on the same side of the river as you, or on the side where the train station is? I was trying to look at the google map, to help some in the research, but not sure.

That is so awesome. I wish you lots of luck on doing that area....you have plenty to keep you busy for some time.
Annmarie

PS: be sure to look for arrowheads and stuff, as you mentioned in the original post, there was an Indian battle there...that would be so cool to find!!!

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ron and Ann said:
Sue,

Is this on the same side of the river as you, or on the side where the train station is? I was trying to look at the google map, to help some in the research, but not sure.

That is so awesome. I wish you lots of luck on doing that area....you have plenty to keep you busy for some time.
Annmarie

PS: be sure to look for arrowheads and stuff, as you mentioned in the original post, there was an Indian battle there...that would be so cool to find!!!

The pictures I took are on my side of the river, the Tarentum Train Station, now restaurant is on other side of river. I also found out that there was a popular swimming beach (hole) in the river called Joan's Beach near the old train station on my side of river, this was back in the early to mid 1900's. The island called Hair's Island is no longer visible and there used to be a ferry that crossed the river.

Sue

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
smurf-42 said:
Ron and Ann said:
Sue,

Annmarie

The pictures I took are on my side of the river, the Tarentum Train Station, now restaurant is on other side of river. I also found out that there was a popular swimming beach (hole) in the river called Joan's Beach near the old train station on my side of river, this was back in the early to mid 1900's. The island called Hair's Island is no longer visible and there used to be a ferry that crossed the river.

Sue

See...that map was throwing me off...LOL...as I found the Tarentum Train Station...I am still searching for the station that is on your side....I will see what I can find on the swimming hole...I wonder if it belonged to the campground (found some articles pertaining to a campground that had some cabins, they burned and the camp was moved)...but I have not quite found out the exact location.

I have some census research to do and see about land deeds....

Wow...Hair's Island...gone? Hmmmm...I will do some research on that too!!!

Heading off to our Boy Scout meeting....I am on the Board of Review...so I have to be there....I will do more research when I return....
This is so much fun!!!
Annmarie

OP
OP
smurf-42

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ron and Ann said:
smurf-42 said:
Ron and Ann said:
Sue,

Annmarie

Sue

See...that map was throwing me off...LOL...as I found the Tarentum Train Station...I am still searching for the station that is on your side....I will see what I can find on the swimming hole...I wonder if it belonged to the campground (found some articles pertaining to a campground that had some cabins, they burned and the camp was moved)...but I have not quite found out the exact location.

I have some census research to do and see about land deeds....

Wow...Hair's Island...gone? Hmmmm...I will do some research on that too!!!

Heading off to our Boy Scout meeting....I am on the Board of Review...so I have to be there....I will do more research when I return....
This is so much fun!!!
Annmarie

Campground? I haven't heard anything about a campground being in the area but will ask around. That is how I found out about the beach, was talking to people that grew up in this area.
Sue

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sue,

I just emailed you the map and word file I put together so far. If anything in the articles ring a bell...let me know...as you know the area better than I do and then I will use that info to help in the research.

The articles about the campground are in this word file.

I will start a new word file, so I don't send you the same info twice!

Talk soon,
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread