HYPOTHETICAL FIND

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
what would you do if u found a silver cross weight 30 kilos 75 cm tall only marking are MDL ....remember this is only hypothetical ....choice # 1 chop it up and melt it down sell for scrap .....# 2 hand it over to government ...... # 3 dump it back into the sea .....after seeing what happened to the crew of the odyssey and the guy who found the apollo statue option # 2 out for me that only leaves #1 and #3 ...like to hear what other members have to say about this hypothetical find

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Good thing the hypothetical cross is silver and the value is roughly $15,000. Had it been gold, that would have been a huge conundrum. If its ornate or can be tied historically to something, it will have considerable more value over spot. If you choose to keep this hypothetical cross, option #4, you can't tell a soul and have to have a secure place to keep. If I was hard up for money, #1 would be the best option. If not, keep it securely hidden away until a more feasible way to sell intact arrives where you can get true value. Two things though, in this hypothetical scenario you cannot tell a soul, and don't bury it, as years from now our kids and grandchildren will be reading stories about a lost silver cross! Me personally, I'd keep it. I hope you ace your exam that posed this question!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...Well, I'd follow the law and hand it over. :laughing7: Come on! Who wants to write a how to in an open forum, kind of makes us look bad even if hypothetical.....But since this is hypothetical? I'll give my fantasy answer.

If I found a big silver cross with historical value? I wouldn't destroy it..That is a whole other level of trouble if anyone ever finds out, plus I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I do value history.. I guess I like the answer in the post above. I'd just put it on hold and think about,hide it for now, weigh out all the options, before I did anything. I sure wouldn't tell anyone until I decided what to do. Now...Knowing that ANYTHING can be sold and that there is a market? That makes it tough to make the "right" decision too. I know it would be awful hard to just hand something like that over...As honest as I like to think I am? I'd still have a battle with that one. :occasion14: I've done it ...But that is a whole other topic and circumstances. I ended up doing the right thing. but with something like this It would sure make the decision tough, and my first reaction would be to hide it while I thought it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
ive given more thought and # 3 would be my answer the money won't change my life and like u said nitric i couldn't destroy history either

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-Purely hypothetically speaking, you are at the South China Sea, arent you? At least your profile says so....

-You could by a train ticket to Shenzen, get a Visum for HKSAR this shouldnt be too hard,hypothetically speaking, since every weekend HK is deluged w/ mainlanders buying milk powder.

-Theorethically you speak Canto and can read Chinese and buy an octopus ticket, put some money on it or any daytime ticket whatever fits you.

-In any case hypothtically you should arrive at Central MTR Station.

-Being the harmless tourist you are you decide to take a ride in the world famous mid-level escalators: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central–Mid-Levels_escalator

-Being halfway trough, you discover that it sucks and go off, say purely by chance on Hollywood Road.

-(Optional: In theory it should be nearing noon and there are a very good biryani and a nice pizza joint directly below/at the MLE.... if they are still there HK is very fast moving).

-Being the good tourist and while you are by chance on Hollywood Road, you decide to visit the Hang Mo Temple (think this was the name, one of the oldset buildings still extant in HK).

-The temple is as dissapointing as the escalator, yet on the way to it you pass several astounishing stores. Again HK is fast moving, yet the names Lee Hing, Archangel and Honeychurch may still be there.

- Those have in their windows "merchandise" that leaves you with an open mouth: Tang horses, Ghost houses, bronze age swords (I kid you not), Jade and ivory of all sorts. Shouldnt have founds its way there due to Mainland China laws, yet mhmmm there it is.

- Staff is very friendly, what is not on stock can be acquired within a few days. Maybe there is still a little earth on it, but we will fix it, n.p.

Short and purely hypothtically I am of the opnion if a (in real life non-existing) silver cross finds it way into Hollywood road, It will be more worth than melt. Perhaps even somebody there can give you an address on mainland that is a buyer ..... theoretically

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well Since this is a hypothetical Find.

I'd hypocritically Throw it in a Big Pot & Melt it into Bars,
Then Ship it all to Cash For Silver.

If for Real, get a license to make & sell Cheap souvenirs.
then I'd get hold of a Hacksaw. & saw off a Pound
or 3. Melt it down and make it in the shape of Cheap Philippine
souvenirs. Paint them & take them out of the Country,
Remelt into Bars & sell to a Reputable buyer.

Then come back dig the Cross up & Saw some more off & Do the same.

Hey ... You Asked a hypothetical question, & I Have the Right to Dream :coffee2:

If you said for Real, I'd check the cost to rent Chinook before Replying.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe , build a false wall in the house or shed and park it there while further deciding it's fate...
Or just stick it under some one else's bed who you don't like.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a cheese grater file...

File into a pile of dust...

Sprinkle dust onto spaghetti and a salad diner over a period of days with lots and lots of cheese.

When home take exlax... collect poop...

Heat / cook poop in a small enclosed area... bathroom with fan off should do.

As your cooking your poop down...

Think of how much easier and better it would have been to chose another option other than this.

:P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be some Heavy Crap :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDCLXVI...

On a serious note...

Do the right thing.

You might want to remind yourself...

You are in a foreign country.... and I am only guessing but...

I am sure the jails there suck as bad as the judicial system that will have its way with you as an example if you do something stupid and get caught doing it.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
AARC ,what ive learned in foreign countries is if they can't make money off u they don;t waste theres by putting u in jail they just deport u ,,,everyday u treasure hunt your braking the law so what the difference ...i don't give in to thieves and thats what i call someone who takes someone else property be it spain , british , or uncle sam ...and if anyone here see it... the whole world knows on facebook ..so i put my mark on it and dump it back into the sea

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Hypothetically speaking AARC i guess mel fisher find was phillip III written proof of ownership..... i guess mel did the right thing (thief) ....and what u know charles I of spain most likely had ownership of this hypothetical cross ...but guess what the south china sea is claimed by how many so called countries today .... far as i see it only china ming dynasty controlled this area ... we both know china could never prove ownership ...and how could countries that didn't exist...would claim it ...they all would ...so the option #2 is way more complex then u think ...

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Find it" somewhere else and mail it to THIS GUY for proper disposal.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hypothetically speaking AARC i guess mel fisher find was phillip III written proof of ownership..... i guess mel did the right thing (thief) ....and what u know charles I of spain most likely had ownership of this hypothetical cross ...but guess what the south china sea is claimed by how many so called countries today .... far as i see it only china ming dynasty controlled this area ... we both know china could never prove ownership ...and how could countries that didn't exist...would claim it ...they all would ...so the option #2 is way more complex then u think ...

? ? ? = "i guess mel did the right thing (thief) ." - ? ? ?

What are you saying ?

Do remember ... Spain was notorious for "stealing"... half of what they owned they stole... if not more.

THIS is why I do not support "returning" ANYTHING to Spain that is found in OUR waters.

Karma landed the items here for a reason and its a joke to return stolen merchandise to the thieves who stole it to begin with.

Like giving back Jewish gold to the Germans IMO. heh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ? = "i guess mel did the right thing (thief) ." - ? ? ?

What are you saying ?

Do remember ... Spain was notorious for "stealing"... half of what they owned they stole... if not more.

THIS is why I do not support "returning" ANYTHING to Spain that is found in OUR waters.

Karma landed the items here for a reason and its a joke to return stolen merchandise to the thieves who stole it to begin with.

Like giving back Jewish gold to the Germans IMO. heh

Very Well Put ! :coffee2:

after Spain Stole Odyssey's Treasure with the Help of the U.S. Government.
I would keep the Treasure without any anxiety !

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
AARC your correct about spain and the germans ....i want to point out your the one who stated to do the right thing and turn it in the government ....i must point out to steal from another thief dosn't make u a ROBINHOOD ...and on this side of the world theres no ROBINHOODS only thieves ....

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa i understand your attitude and AARC was right about jail (deportation) ....i was only trying to point out in the system your looked at as a thief by the real thieves ...mel wasn't a thief in my eyes either but to spain and uncle sam he was ....and that poor fisherman that found the apollo statue only one word (HAMAS) u realize that fisherman hammered off a finger i hope someone didn't hammer off one of his ...here in the south china sea it all politics with 6 countries fighting over every reef or anything of value so things are way to complex ...i just mention this so other members have a better understanding what it like here

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"mel wasn't a thief in my eyes either but to spain and uncle sam he was " -

Well "Uncle Sam" awarded the ENTIRE wreck to Mel... so this is a mute point.

As for Spain... BAH ! They piss me off... as well as everyone else in the industry with their "historical claims" political pull money grubbing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa i understand your attitude and AARC was right about jail (deportation) ....i was only trying to point out in the system your looked at as a thief by the real thieves ...mel wasn't a thief in my eyes either but to spain and uncle sam he was ....and that poor fisherman that found the apollo statue only one word (HAMAS) u realize that fisherman hammered off a finger i hope someone didn't hammer off one of his ...here in the south china sea it all politics with 6 countries fighting over every reef or anything of value so things are way to complex ...i just mention this so other members have a better understanding what it like here

well in my opinion unless the person who it belonged to is still alive, or can show a legal ownership document showing or describing the piece as being turned over to them..
it belongs to the Finder/Treasure Hunter . Period .

And anyone who Manages to take it from them Via Coercion/Politics/theft or threat,
is a Thief. Period :coffee2:

whether a Gold Treasure at the Bottom of an Ocean, Or a Class ring in a Public park.
If the Person who owned it when it was Lost is Dead, & there is no Will, bill of sale or deed
describing it. it's up to the Finder to decide who should have it,or pieces of it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread