Repairing old photos

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,245971.0.html

I am making a new thread because the admin has set up a warning on old threads to start a new one instead. In this case, an incomplete thread should be added to, but it is the admin's board, not mine.

Solutions provided were very expensive. In fact, GIMP, free for download for both Windows and Linux, costs much less than $700. Repeat: free.

It is a full power editor, and can do almost anything most ordinary people can learn to do. The problem is, it does things differently than Photoshop. A teacher in Australia a few years ago started his class out, half on GIMP, half on Photoshop, and at half semester, made them change over. Screams of rage and despair were equal from both sides. So, if you are an advanced expert on Photoshop, you will probably not like GIMP.

On Linux boards, Photoshop lovers will at times post lists of things Gimp does not have. In most cases, the critics actually don't use those features anyway, they just want to show how much more you get with Photoshop.

If you can afford Photoshop, go for it. Why not? If you are reduced budget, start out with GIMP from day one. Gimp has a lot of plug-ins supplied by volunteers, to do common tasks. My favorite is RESTORE which lets you set degree of fading of old scanned Kodak prints, and automatically makes corrections because Kodak fading is well known as to color problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions