Grave Stone Photo

digging wv

Sep 16, 2007
Cabin Creek
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where to post this but...... There is a grave stone in our family cemetary for a young lady that died, I think in the 20's or 30's. (I'd have to make a trip on the mountain to check the exact date). The remarkable thing is a photo, about a 3" oval, on the face of the stone with what appears to be a glass covering. The photo is crisp and clear and looks like it was taken yesterday. No staining at all. Anyone know anything about the process? It's the only one I have ever seen.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A lot of those images were sand blasted in using rubber masking then a black pigment was applied and polished down to form the image. These were black and "white" images. There was also a baked in ,or fired process, but this form of enameling was quite expensive and rare. I don't recall ever seeing a glass covered one. These were old processes. They might use lazers or water jets now. hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Alexis

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2013
United States
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i am here i just want to say you that this is great informative thread i like this photography and this way pf photography which is not easy to make any type of photographs by the professional way and a professional camera ........

Burleigh Heads Photographers

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I forget the man's name. But, the Laguna Seca ranch a few miles north of McAllen on 281 has the ranch cemetery. The man was old, and probably died in the last 10 or 15 years. He was still alive, but allegedly an invalid when I went out there with a friend to look at the cemetery about 10 or 12 years ago. Though I believe the ranch ended up with multiple owners, he was descended from the 19th century owner.

His father married many years ago. His first wife gave birth to a daughter, and died during the birth. He remarried some years later, wife died in childbirth, the son who was the man I mentioned above, lived.

The daughter had already married, and had kids of her own in his approximate age range. But, she raised her half brother as her own son, and this was noted on her tombstone.

Her tomb stone had exactly what you describe. A perfect B&W picture of her in a glass mount mounted on the side of the tombstone. She was an attractive woman.

It made me a bit goose-bumpy to see that picture out there in that hot sun, in the Rio Grande Valley.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I just googled for Laguna Seca ranch, Edinburg, Texas, and it was the Vela family. Macedonia Vela founded it in 1867. There was another hit for a historical marker on the ranch, and I was told my IP etc. was on a list which was forbidden to see that page. I am guessing this is because i am in Mexico, but it is still strange.

I cannot remember the old man I mentioned, Maybe something like Reynaldo, can't remember.

I know what the historical marker is. It is where the first citrus tree in the Valley was planted by a young daughter, Carlota. A traveling priest gave her the seed, and today the RGV is noted for citrus production.

http://photographysouthtexas.com/ranch_history and his name was Ramon Reynaldo, died 2002, he was grandson of Macedonia, there is a photo of Macedonia, no need to ask if he was Spanish. The history page says the same Carlota of the orange tree raised Reynaldo.

Wouldn't you love to be able to MD on that ranch? Heh, heh. (Don't even think it.) It is now a photography ranch, I am guessing that means you pay and you can take pictures. But, that was after my friend died and I don't go out there any more.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread