What's Your Process For Sharpening Images?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Face it, occasionally we get a photo that we love, but there is a little bit of a problem with the sharpness --- you can not fix out of focus, but you can sharpen just a bit.

Every pic is a little different, but I like to start out with a "clarity" filter. It's usually plenty to get the image to look sharper. Occasionally, I add a bit of a "high pass sharpen" if I think that it will help.

In photoshop, I think you can convert a copy of the original image into a "smart object" which will allow you to go back and change values. Affinity has something called "live filters" which work similarly

I'm always trying to learn, so what processes have you had success with?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Chadeaux, been awhile.
I ran across this method and it might be what you use. I have a good camera but it's not full frame so there is a built in lo-pass filter from my understanding. I use PS Elements as my preferred choice is to do most everything in front of the camera when taking a picture. Not quite Mr. Purest but leaning that way. Also full blown PS is way more than I'd use.
What I've run across on line and tried is to create a duplicate layer, Go to filters>hi-pass> set to less than 8 px although I stick with less than 3px. I can always return with a new layer and hit it again if not happy. Then above in the drop down menu >overlay.
The overlay option is a surprise the first time I tried it. You might have already used this method. Basically I suspect the method compensates for the lo-pass filter.
If you have a full frame camera this might not help much but I don't know.
I bought a newer Canon last year and PS doesn't do raw edits with the new camera. Canon offered a free raw software similar to PS lightroom. With my older camera using PS Raw I would work with clarity and vivid. The free software offers a lot more and that's fine if you shoot with Canon. Same type of filing system.
I talked with my nephew who has some developing experience if software could be made to duplicate the pixels in an image. Like surround existing pixels with copies. Maybe this is being done now but I don't know. I seems the effort is in increasing the ability of the sensors to record.
I bought Corel's Paint shop Pro as it offered a bundled version I wanted to try. I haven't had the time yet. Your using PS so you have a lot of options.
I've been tempted to do some film again. I can develop, scan the negatives, and do the darkroom stuff with PS. When I see people selling great medium format cameras for <$$ it's tempting. A 6x7 with lenses for el chepo. I used to shoot with a Rolliflex and miss being able to compose on a ground glass using both eyes.
Take care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread