Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first pin pointer is the Bounty Hunter. $36 from Amazon and it works. I took the time and read the manual about tuning, sometimes it will work 1" to 1.5" from target. Most times I get about 3/4". I tried toying with the tuning pot on the board and gained a little depth. The pin pointer seems to be pretty efficient on the batteries though.

I know the Fisher and Teknetics look identical to the BH as well as King Detector, Pyle and Accu-Find.

If you use this pointer, as I do, how do you like it? Any modifications?

Fpoint-HR-350.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say I got one on ebay and I am not impressed. It's the first one i have had, so maybe it's me!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta say I got one on ebay and I am not impressed. It's the first one i have had, so maybe it's me!

Yes they suck. I have had 2, gave one to a friend & he says it works good enough. It seems you need to be nearly touching the coin to get a signal. I will continue to use my $16.99 slightly modified Centech pinpointer from Harbor Freight.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one and only get about 1/2" reach. It never got used after it was baught and air tested. I have seen where you can open it up and increase it's reach to 2"-2.5" inches. I ended up getting a Garrett and will not hunt without it.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its my belief that a pinpointer helps pick out those items that are almost invisible in the surrounding dirt making recovery faster. If more depth is needed from a pinpointer
then better effort should be placed on pinpointing with the detector.

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its my belief that a pinpointer helps pick out those items that are almost invisible in the surrounding dirt making recovery faster. If more depth is needed from a pinpointer

Okay, I'm guilty of that. I do like to check the surface with the pinpointer before I dig.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, I was just going to say the same thing! 1" or so, is depth plenty for me, anymore than that could actually make it harder to find the object due to picking up other adjacent targets.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't say I disagree with any of the comments. The BH pinpointer is better than nothing, but not much. I got one free with my F2 and used it once. It's better for prodding than sounding off. You almost have to be touching the target.

It's hard to beat the Deteknix Xpointer for the price. It's nice having a beep that speeds up the closer it gets to the target. And before you even cut the plug, it zero's in on the exact digging location if the target is less than 3 or so inches from the surface, so you can pop it out rather than digging.

Once you use the pulse induction PP (XPointer, Garrett PP, TRX, etc.) you'll never go back to the BH, Centech, 2002, types again.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one and only get about 1/2" reach. It never got used after it was baught and air tested. I have seen where you can open it up and increase it's reach to 2"-2.5" inches. I ended up getting a Garrett and will not hunt without it.

Oh really? I will be on top of that then. I let the kids have it when we go...figure they can learn the hard way. Tough love and all that. The wife and I use our Garretts.

I'll open it up to see what can be fiddled with...always up for some tinkering on stuff I don't mind breaking...I mean needs fixing.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using a borrowed one till i get a Garrett , now it works but batt cover falls off every use, tuning knob bumps an moves, only the very tip about 3/8th of a inch will pick up any metal at around 1/2 in away , but it will do the job not the greatest tool but a tool none the less . if it is what you can afford then get one or save up for a better tool . happy hunting ya'll

OP
OP
N5XTR

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be waiting patiently for what you find.....:laughing7:

View attachment 1291384

I already tuned mine up. It certainly does help with range.

If you toy with yours, tune the pot and adjust the knob until it sounds off. I spent about 20 minutes to find the sweet spot. Knob at the halfway mark or pointing directly away from the board.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already tuned mine up. It certainly does help with range.

If you toy with yours, tune the pot and adjust the knob until it sounds off. I spent about 20 minutes to find the sweet spot. Knob at the halfway mark or pointing directly away from the board.

Appreciate that tip. I had a Garrett scorpion with 4 pots. They had them glued over in the factory..but I took care of that for them. Gained a good inch after many hours of testing.

Looking forward to seeing what can be done with this BH pointer. I sell it to ya cheap Phantasman! :angel10:

kenonimo

Nov 25, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the bounty hunter and the best thing I did was buy the Garrett carrot! Well worth the investment. Night and day comparison.

dugndeep

Mar 19, 2015
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000,Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200,Deteknix Huntmate pinpointer,Fiskars big grip knife,BH pinpointer,Ace "Little Pal" shovel and a homemade shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with the Centec,messed around with the pot on it,added a on-off switch then tried to solder a ntc to the board and got the board to hot and it quit working,it had decent range of 1.5 to 2 inches plus it was out the door at the store for $15 w/20% coupon.So I was looking on WallyWorld one day and they had the BH pinpointer on sale for $25.99 w/free ship to store so I bought it.Surprised at how bad the range was.About a 1/2 inch at the most.So I went on youtube and seen how it come apart and messed with the pot and maybe got 1/4 inch more out of it.While I was there I seen where you could take a piece of metal and hold it on the shaft and get a little more range out of it.So I looked around in the garage and found one of those cheap hose clamps that usually comes with a fuel filter or something and slid it on till I found the best spot,usually about a 1/16 of an inch back down the shaft from where it sounds off.It works so now I get about a good inch an a eighth with it on range.I took some quick set epoxy and glued it to the spot after grinding off the 3 ears on the hose clamp.I just ordered the Deteknix Huntmate which will have over 2 inches of range and can't wait to get it and try it out.

Attachments

• BH pinpointer 001.JPG
    BH pinpointer 001.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 175
  • BH pinpointer 002.JPG
    BH pinpointer 002.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 159
  • BH pinpointer 003.JPG
    BH pinpointer 003.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 154

dugndeep

Mar 19, 2015
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000,Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200,Deteknix Huntmate pinpointer,Fiskars big grip knife,BH pinpointer,Ace "Little Pal" shovel and a homemade shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could possibly take it apart and hot glue a small ring on the board that runs up the shaft and get the board to slide back up in there if you don't like the looks of the hose clamp on the outside.But be careful you could end up with garbage like I did with the Centec.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread