Need Help Deciding on a Pinpointer

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me just bullet list it

-Cheap
-Waterproof
-Wont die after one season

I'm a very shoestring budget, I'm probably not going to get a lot of recommendations that meet my criteria (like $50 bucks is a lot out of my budget) so any ideas help, thanks for reading.

V/R

P.A.

Quick Edit: I've done quite a few searches online but most results that meet the waterproof criteria are $100 plus

Last edited:

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not just the waterproof aspect that puts them over $100, it's the not-a-piece-of-junk aspect as well.

With that budget, your best (and basically only) bet would be to buy a GP Pointer (it's a ProPointer AT knockoff) and waterproof it yourself. If not, you MIGHT get lucky and find a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me just bullet list it

-Cheap
-Waterproof
-Wont die after one season

I'm a very shoestring budget, I'm probably not going to get a lot of recommendations that meet my criteria (like $50 bucks is a lot out of my budget) so any ideas help, thanks for reading.

V/R

P.A.

Quick Edit: I've done quite a few searches online but most results that meet the waterproof criteria are $100 plus

save your money and clad until you can afford a good one. The cheap ones will frustrate you to no end and will end up breaking wasting your money. If you can get the cash together, get a garret pin pointer or whites pin pointer. Neither will disappoint.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay away from the Fisher and Bounty Hunter pin pointer and other brands that have the same design.. I bought one a few years back and it makes a better paperweight than a pin pointer. It only has .5 to .75 inch range. I like my pin pointers to have 1.5 to 2 inches range. I own both the older Garrett pin pointer and the newer carrot.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said it's worth saving up and getting a quality pointer that works well and will last. Some people do use the cen-tech pinpointer from harbor freight, but the quality isn't that great. I think I've read that the switch on them have a tendency to break, but there is some mod people make on them to fix the issue. Also it says only the tip is waterproof, but a person could probably waterproof it in some way. There is also a 20% off coupon that can be printed online.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Makro pinpointer. I have always used Garrett before this ( original black pro pointer and the pro pointer AT ). I didn't think I would like the location of the controls on the Makro and yes it does have a delay when powering up but it has served me well with no falsing whatsoever. I bought a couple of the Nokta orange tip protectors which fit perfectly.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Whites TRX paid for its self long ago. If you learn to coin pop with a screwdriver and a brass probe you will be glade you spent the money.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
List is mutually exclusive, you get what you pay for.

Why waterproof, planning on going diving ?

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Imho, I believe it's important to have a waterproof pp simply for keeping it clean. I don't dive, but it's nice to gently hose it down.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug water saturated sites where the hole fills with water as soon as the plug is plopped out. I put my old Garrett pin pointer in a zip lock bag and it worked fine in these situations, but have since got the waterproof carrot. I like simple things, turn on and go when it comes to pin pointers and not needing the additional settings that's why I always grab my old Garrett when I do most of my detecting.

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Garrett carrot once I learned to use it.
Up until then, I had the Fisher pinpointer and I can tell you that I have to be right on top of something for it to work and it's not waterproof; so I agree with Loco.

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn’t think a new thread was appropriate for a quickly answered question so here goes:

How well does the Garrett carrot detect gold? How small of gold can it see?

How well does the Falcon MD-20 pick up other metals?

I know both are designed for the opposite of what I’m asking about target wise & am trying to make up my mind as to which one will pair better with my EQ800. Maybe I need both, idk yet.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn’t think a new thread was appropriate for a quickly answered question so here goes:

How well does the Garrett carrot detect gold? How small of gold can it see?

How well does the Falcon MD-20 pick up other metals?

I know both are designed for the opposite of what I’m asking about target wise & am trying to make up my mind as to which one will pair better with my EQ800. Maybe I need both, idk yet.

You do not need the Falcon. That pinpointer is made for checking specimens and sub-grain gold - The Garrett Carrot will see an individual birdshot BB, just like the Equinox 800, or a gold ring, silver coin, or Bud can.:skullflag:

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry,

I was originally purchasing a metal detector for the purpose of prospecting & I was originally going to go with the X-Terra 705 gold pack. I opted for the Equinox 800 after researching it for a couple weeks & realizing that I’d use the machine for general detecting as well as prospecting.

Would this info change your recommendation?
Thank you.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Carrot, 9 volt battery and you're ready to conquer the world.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only used Garretts and the AT's have a VERY sensitive setting. I will probally stick with Garrett, because anytime i have an issue, i can send it to them and they pretty much replace it for free or very cheap.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I still have my original Garrett pro-pointer but will be getting the Garrett pro-pointer AT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread