Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always used the Garrett Pro Pointer and have had two of them, one for a back up. Recently I gave one of them to a friend that didn't have a pin pointer and really couldn't budget one. Sooo....I decided to order another pin pointer in order to maintain the "backup" scenario. What an excuse to get a TRX! I have wanted to try one out for a while, but had no need for another pin pointer. Just arrived today and can't wait to get it in the dirt. So far, I can say that I do like the feel and looks of it. I'm sure it will do very well. Too many people sing it's praises. Just maybe....the Garrett will end up playing the "backup". Can't wait to find out.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: Sounds like you have a plan, enjoy. I also have 2 garrets One older black Pro Pointer and the Carrot. I have been using the old one, I'm easy to please I recon. Love it's simplicity (off or on) only decision to make and it has the right range for me.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Me too, Loco. I still have two of the older black Garrett Pro Pointers. I've had them for quite a while and they still work for me. When replacement time comes, I'll probably go with the Garrett Carrot.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the TRX and really like it. I cannot speak for the Garrett, but you'll be very happy with the TRX. :thumbsup:

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the Garrett but got rig of it s it doesn't reallyy pinpoint but give you a general area (its hot spot is anywhere a around the side of it
As the TRX is hotspot is the tip

How can you sell something as a pinpointer that cant do that ??

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. Have used the TRX on a couple of short hunts over the past week and a half or so. I really like it. It has really good sensitivity and I think what I like most is the way it actually signals the target at the tip rather than along the shaft. Easier "pinpointing" the target I guess. I have also not yet experienced the falsing that I often experienced with the Garrett. It's definitely not new on the market....but new to me. Good pin pointer!

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost my carrot and was looking into the Trx. I was going to pre order a new PI unit from either teknetics or fisher but I want something tried and true. I agree with Loco digger. I've been using an original black garrett propointer and like the simplicity and range as well. The on/off switch gives me fits so I want to make it a back up. Price is a little steep on the whites though. Unless there is another vendor to try.

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still using the TRX and have been every hunt since I bought it. Really like it a lot. I still have the Garrett, but it's just a backup now. The TRX has good detection depth and I don't really know how it could be any simpler of a unit. It's just ON/OFF......and is very precise in the "pin pointing" department.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI , My Garrett propointer was doing the same thing with the On/Off switch, I called Garrett to see where to send it and they just sent me a new rubber On/Off button(free of charge) and that did the trick works like new. but I did buy a new TRX in the mean time, so now I have 2 pin pointers.....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still using the TRX and have been every hunt since I bought it. Really like it a lot. I still have the Garrett, but it's just a backup now. The TRX has good detection depth and I don't really know how it could be any simpler of a unit. It's just ON/OFF......and is very precise in the "pin pointing" department.

Awesome. Great to hear. I like the sound of the Trx better than the Garretts too. The ratcheting tone seems more precise also.

HighVDI , My Garrett propointer was doing the same thing with the On/Off switch, I called Garrett to see where to send it and they just sent me a new rubber On/Off button(free of charge) and that did the trick works like new. but I did buy a new TRX in the mean time, so now I have 2 pin pointers.....

I actually had the propointer for a couple months and then it started falsing and the on off switch started its thing. Sent it back to garret and they fixed it all up. Now it's back to where it was not too long after. A new switch would fix it like you mentioned. How do you like the whites?

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh I like the Whites, It's my primary pin pointer, The Garrett is a back up or one that I loan if somebody is using my other detector.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh I like the Whites, It's my primary pin pointer, The Garrett is a back up or one that I loan if somebody is using my other detector.

I like how they claim it sounds off on the tip and not the side like the Garrett. Has to be more efficient in that regard. Few more bucks well spent.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got it today. Initial thoughts vs the Garrett is the Trx is definitely lighter and seems like the plastic housing isn't as dense. I know the whole housing can be purchased and replaced separately so that's good. I'm going to go out and freeze to death tomorrow to see how it performs.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TRX is the best and deepest pinpointer I've ever used. I sent my Carrot packing after using the TRX. I was just about to buy a Gold Digger Land or Sea to have for a backup and pulse induction alternative, but now I'm looking more toward the First Texas pinpointers for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread