$50> pinpointer

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've been detecting for 35 years and have never used or needed a pinpointer. just a good detector and a 1942 U.S Army shovel

Borrow one and use it out on a hunt just once and you will find that it speeds up the recovery time so much that you can dig twice or more as many targets in one hunt.
I started in 1984 as well, before pinpointers. Now, I won't go without a pinpointer.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Products Vibra Probe 580, Pulse Induction Pin Pointer...what Khz Frequency ?

Hi ! :wave:

I have a Vibra Probe 580 Pin Pointer, received from Treasure Products July 26, 2017.

It has PI (Pulse Induction) circuitry, but I would also like to know the Khz frequency.
Can anyone help with that ?

Thanks,
ToddB64

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason to buy a good one (Whites, Garrett) I have both brands. If anything goes wrong, contact either company, they will fix or replace them. Try that with any of the Chinese brands, not going to happen!

jet747

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason to buy a good one (Whites, Garrett) I have both brands. If anything goes wrong, contact either company, they will fix or replace them. Try that with any of the Chinese brands, not going to happen!

@GPS53 That's great and all but I can buy 5 of the GP's for less $ than a Whites/Garrett (TRX MSRP 159.95 ). So maybe my GP breaks in the next 2 years ,I pitch it in the garbage and order another for $20./$30. 2yr warranty is great but how much does that add to the overall price ? extra $50-$100 I would guess.

I see you're in PA , Do you detect every day? Winter? Your warranty is 2yrs from date of purchase. So if you use it 20,30,100,200 days a year, times that by 2 and that's your actual warranty.

If you feel your Garrett is superior , awesome! In reality they ALL do the same thing, however some do it at a much lower price point and no warranty (i'm ok with that). As a newer metal detector I spent the money on a decent entry level machine(equinox 800) and didn't have the extra cash to spend on a "name brand" pinpointer ,so I tried the GP pointers. I have been pleasantly surprised at how good these GP pointers are, they have served their purpose in all environments.

I'm sure your pinpointers work as designed as do the GP Pointers 1&2 . Although I don't have a GP pointer hat and t-shirt every brand has its fanboys ! :thumbsup:

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have a TRX and it started acting up, setting it's self off and constantly sound off, I called whites even though I had it for a couple years they said sent it in and they would fix or replace it and then sent it back free of charge.
customer service is hard to find like that.

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jet747, you seem to believe in the disposable thoughts of today, (buy it cheap, if it breaks, throw it away, buy a new one) When I was young and starting out I had to buy what I could afford at the time, as I got older(retired now) I got tired of buying the same stuff over and over. Wised up and started buying good quality tools and equipment, haven't replaced any thing in a lot of years. Just an example. I love and collect old wheel Horse garden tractors, currently have 4. Newest one is about 30 years old. All 4 are in excellent shape and run perfect. Just take care of your equipment an it will last a lifetime. Go buy any big box retailer lawn tractor and see how long it lasts. Hey, its your decision to buy as you see fit. Best of luck to you.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Borrow one and use it out on a hunt just once and you will find that it speeds up the recovery time so much that you can dig twice or more as many targets in one hunt.
I started in 1984 as well, before pinpointers. Now, I won't go without a pinpointer.

I started in 1983 and didn't get a pinpointer until 2010 because I felt I didn't need one. I bought a Garrett ProPointer and now will NEVER hunt without one. I guess this means that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks:laughing7:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone says buy a good brand name pin pointer. I murder pin pointers. I just sent two Garrett carrots in for repair. They both lost their waterproofing at the seal around the on/ off button. This is the first one's second go to the repair shop. I returned it in warranty and had it reworked. My other one that's with it should still be under warranty but my girlfriend passed away and I can't get into her Amazon prime account to print anything saying when I bought it etc. so I'm sucking it up and sending in both. I don't feel like I treat them outrageously. They just keep failing around the switch. This is round two failing for one and round one for the other and I can't get one to last over two years. They could still be alive if I wasn't submerging them but when they say waterproof I want waterproof for getting into those cracks in the river where you can't fit the detector. I am pretty frustrated since I had a dismal season and it looks like detecting will cost me some money this year instead of making me some. All my equipment is unreliable and falling to pieces and thats not helping me have fun and find things in the field. The Equinox is at least still under warranty and I only broke the arm cuff. They were great and shipped me a new one really fast but its also developed the " shaft wobble" extremely bad. I am just using it as is since I can't be without a half working machine and it still half works. Had to gripe sorry.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone says buy a good brand name pin pointer. I murder pin pointers. I just sent two Garrett carrots in for repair. They both lost their waterproofing at the seal around the on/ off button. This is the first one's second go to the repair shop. I returned it in warranty and had it reworked. My other one that's with it should still be under warranty but my girlfriend passed away and I can't get into her Amazon prime account to print anything saying when I bought it etc. so I'm sucking it up and sending in both. I don't feel like I treat them outrageously. They just keep failing around the switch. This is round two failing for one and round one for the other and I can't get one to last over two years. They could still be alive if I wasn't submerging them but when they say waterproof I want waterproof for getting into those cracks in the river where you can't fit the detector. I am pretty frustrated since I had a dismal season and it looks like detecting will cost me some money this year instead of making me some. All my equipment is unreliable and falling to pieces and thats not helping me have fun and find things in the field. The Equinox is at least still under warranty and I only broke the arm cuff. They were great and shipped me a new one really fast but its also developed the " shaft wobble" extremely bad. I am just using it as is since I can't be without a half working machine and it still half works. Had to gripe sorry.

Tommybuckets,

Re "shaft wobble", were you careful to follow the steps to "Assemble shafts" on page 6 of the manual ? Suggest going back over the steps with your detector to make certain everything was done correctly and check to be sure the "twist locks" are tight enough (a judgement decision on your part.).

Then check to be sure the "Spring loaded pins" are protruding fully up through the adjustment holes.....I've had them get stuck in the hole on my Tesoro Compadre and had to twist the shaft a little to get the pin to pop through the hole all the way.

If you still think the shaft is wobbling after doing all of this, maybe the wobble you feel is actually coming from the coil, not the shaft, so check the "Attach coil to lower shaft" instructions on page 6, making sure they were followed and the yoke bolt and nut are snug, but not over-tight.

Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

ToddB64

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Deep1 check out the video . He uses a coin but same concept, the hose clamp I use is tightened down in the sweet spot so it doesn't move .

Worked the GP pointer on the salty sand beach again yesterday , when finished I dunked it in the ocean to clean it off . Still working 100% today even though this model does not claim to be waterproof. I ordered the SHRXY GP pointer 2 (TRX clone) . GP2 claims to be 100% waterproof. I will definitely be testing it out in the Atlantic when it arrives .

OP I have spent $53.50 (shipping included) for 2 pinpointers.

First off that would annoy me to No end.

First I Was taught the quarter thing when I Switched from sunray to Garrett.
Though I Saw it worked, The Need to pull a Quarter out my Pocket, Place it against the Probe, Tune the Garrett
then stick the Probe Back in the Hole ? 10+ seconds my Guestimate.

To Stick my Scoop Back in the Hole Take another Scoop Out, My guestimate 3 Seconds.

the Permanent Tuner ? Pain in the Arse ! & Still Exttra Time, Because after, I Still need to Stick the Scoop in After I Get a Signal. :unhappysmiley:

The less Gizmos to Work With The Better :coffee2:)

Why can't the Piece of Metal Be Epoxied in Place permanently ?
(Finally a Use for a Zinclon ???? )

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say Since Sunray Killed themselves by Continually Upping their Prices, Without any Major
Improvements, Other then Size.
Instead of Lowering them.

Then Left everyone Hanging By Going out of Business.

I'd like to see someone Start making a Clone.

Seriously, Seemed to me The parts Should Cost less then $10.00 in Balk.

No I'm no Expert, But that is my Un-Expert opinion, All that is in the Box is a Directional Switch . Like a switch that sends a Speaker From One room to the Other,
And a Plug to Match your Detectors Plug.

The Probe on the Other hand, I Have no idea on actual Manufacture Cost,
But again, Shouldn't be much when Done in balk.

I'd guess Largest cost was going intro a Legal Business

Last edited:

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please explain to me why the garret pin pointers are so much better . What is the big difference ?
This after 35 yrs of detecting is the first time Ive ever used a pin pointer and only because my wife talked me into trying one . I love the one I've got but I have no point of reference !
Im impressed by the cheap chinese version , what are the differences you are speaking of ?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a Ricomax from Amazon in February.
They are not a clone of any PP I know of, but their own design.
Got it because it has 3 LED indicator lights. Don't have to rely on sound for PP'ing.
Had it about 2 months, dunked it in water by accident. It is not waterproof. It stopped working.
Contacted Ricomax, had new pinpointer 3 days later, no questions asked.
When I got new one, went to pull battery out of old one, out of curiosity, hit the button and it worked.
I thought I had toasted it, once it dried out it worked and is still working.
It is chinese made, along with all other PP's.
Cost about twice as much as the clones.
I paid $43.99.
If you're going to buy an "off brand" PP, I would recommend the Ricomax.
Good product for the money and good customer service.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought a Ricomax from Amazon in February.They are not a clone of any PP I know of, but their own design.Got it because it has 3 LED indicator lights. Don't have to rely on sound for PP'ing.Had it about 2 months, dunked it in water by accident. It is not waterproof. It stopped working.Contacted Ricomax, had new pinpointer 3 days later, no questions asked.When I got new one, went to pull battery out of old one, out of curiosity, hit the button and it worked.I thought I had toasted it, once it dried out it worked and is still working.It is chinese made, along with all other PP's.Cost about twice as much as the clones. I paid $43.99.If you're going to buy an "off brand" PP, I would recommend the Ricomax.Good product for the money and good customer service.

Hi Deep1 ;D Good post !

I bought the Ricomax GC-2007 pinpointer for my brother in May, 2019. We go metal detecting together a few times every year using our Tesoro Compadres when he is in my vicinity making sales calls on some of his Ohio customers and has some extra time, or is visiting me on one of my birthdays (He lives in Indiana and I live in Ohio.). His big passion is deer hunting and mine is metal detecting and while he enjoys metal detecting during our get-togethers, he isn't what you would call avid about the hobby. Now then, the only pinpointer he owns is an inexpensive HF Centex model which is OK for newbies getting into the hobby, but does have the quirk of losing it's setting as the ground mineralization level changes during a hunt, requiring a periodic retune.

With the above things in mind, I wanted get him something better, but under the circumstances I didn't think it made good sense to spend more than $50.00. So after some research and looking at the Ricomax ad on Amazon, reading their product warranty, the Specifications, previous purchasers Customer Reviews and the under $50.00 price of $43.99 with free shipping, I decided this PP was "made-to-order" !

I ordered the Ricomax CG-2007 and wanted to check it out myself before giving to my brother, so had it delivered to my home and if satisfied planned to hand it over to my bro on our next hunt. Well, long story short, it met all of my expectations and was gifted to my bro when he visited on my B-D the end of May this year.

In the box from Ricomax there was a coupon for a free digging trowel that I would and did receive after submitting my own Customer Review on Amazon and I will be gifting that trowel to my brother on our next metal detecting hunt, as I already have a Lesche digger. The free trowel also included a Sheath made of heavy-duty nylon-type material with a loop that will easily take up to a 3" wide belt.

The free trowel was made in China and is something I think anyone would be pleased with! It's made of heavy duty heat treated carbon steel painted with a thick layer of dark-green enamel and has a typical size/shape hand guard flange almost 1/8" thick (actually measured 0.119" with my mic.), the blade length is 7[SUP]5/8"[/SUP] with serrated edges for root cutting, the O.A.L. is 13 [SUP]3/4[/SUP]", and has an Orange rubberized-plastic-like handle grip that looks as if it would last forever with normal use.

Over the years my experience has been that steel tools in particular, made in China, are heavy duty and they are not frugal with metal !

BTW, I would have attached pictures of the Trowel and Sheath, but the glass on my HP Envy 7640 Scanner isn't large enough! :laughing7:

ToddB64

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would to know what a metal hose clamp is and how it helps the pin pointer please - also is there any way you can post a pic of this .
Thanks

Hose clamps...like for a radiator hose ect that opens and closes by a worm gear. Can get a pack from harbor freight for a couple bucks.

The metal close to the detector makes it more sensative since it is almost to detection distance from the pointer.....is what I always understood on this topic

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is a little old, but the subject is still current.

I'm one of them people that hunted for years without a pin pointer. Then I got the old HF model and used it for years.
You had to be careful with them, I did more damage to mine transporting it than using it. I don't do water and any sand I might get lucky enough to hunt was near fresh water.

When my last HF gave out or my son stole it, he hunts too. I tried a GP pointer for about $20. I have had no issues with mine at all. I just ordered my third one. The other two still work fine. I gave one to a kid from Church that is always finding stuff in the woods behind his house. The other is the first one I bought and still use. The new one I ordered will be for my second detecting kit I am putting together for visiting hunters.

I am sure there are better pin pointers. And they may very well be worth every cent to some. But I don't need full water proof and the distance I get from mine is fine. Maybe I'm using my pin pointer wrong, but I only want it going off when I am nearly touching the find. And I don't use it to dig with I got fingers and a fancy tool for that. The idea of wearing a hole in it is foreign to me.

I have hunted with a couple folks that have "better" pin pointers, but I couldn't see they had any advantage over what I was doing. (I will say some folks need to learn how to PP better with their detector)

I may one day buy a name brand and maybe I'll come to see what I'm missing. My brother moved to Florida, if I ever get down there to hunt some salty beaches I might splurge a bit...

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to agree with most on this thread you get what you pay for purchase a $50 pin pointer and it last 6 months to a year you then have to purchase another if you chose to thats $100 you could have purchased one garret pro pointer for a few dollars more and and not have to worry about it for 2 to five years i still have my original Garrett Pro pointer purchased in 2010 and it is still working great, the first two years I had it I hunted every day and used it every day never have come close to wearing a hole in the end of it and I do use it to scrape the sides when I am locating my targets, best $100 i ever spent it cuts your recovery time in half or more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread