Garrett carrot rubber button cracked

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago my pinpointer started falsing pretty bad. With nothing to lose I took it apart and found some dirt inside the shell. Upon further inspection the rubber cover over the power switch is cracked and separated over about half the circumference of the button. This is allowing dirt and moisture into the shell. I have since sourced a replacement pinpointer, but still would like to try to deal this one back up for a backup. I contacted Garrett and all said and done to have them fix it would be in the $40 range. For that much I'd just smear some gasket maker on the button and call it a day. I was wondering though, has anyone replaced the rubber button cover themselves? If so, what did you use? I imagine the rubber covers are sourced from a separate company, anyone know where to pick one up? Thanks

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of surprised as the response from Garrett to tell you the truth. Really nice young lady there named Sue, if I remember correctly. Might give them a polite call and see if they could just send you a new cover for yours since you somehow lost it while cleaning the mud out of it. Pretty sure it kind of snaps back in place. Might have to lube it to get it in properly. Soap would be good

Worth a try!

RJGMC

OP
OP
M

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I emailed and called. They said it's company policy not to send out parts. : ( There is a $21 diagnostic fee. I feel like I diagnosed it pretty well that the rubber is split. : /

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I emailed and called. They said it's company policy not to send out parts. : ( There is a $21 diagnostic fee. I feel like I diagnosed it pretty well that the rubber is split. : /

That's very odd. I emailed them a few months ago and asked about the process for ordering a new battery/tail cap. They simply asked for my mailing address and serial number and in a few days I got a new cap for no charge.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try silicone.
It's not likely to stick to rubber button.
So scuff the area around the button.
Apply silicone to button and area around it.

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try silicone.
It's not likely to stick to rubber button.
So scuff the area around the button.
Apply silicone to button and area around it.

Shoe goo is the best ....ive used it many times...and seems stronger than the normal tube silicone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread