Anyone ever replace the speaker on the carrot ?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone ever replace the speaker on the carrot ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2586 times
    Metal Detecting

Anyone ever replace the speaker on the carrot ?

In the past when the speaker started muting it was because of dust getting into that little grill and into the speaker, a few taps was all it took to clear it out, either that or sometimes when the battery was ready to die the sound would get weak.

Now its barely audible, tried a new battery and the tapping trick, no joy. Would hate to send it in if its something simple, perhaps their service dept isn't even open I don't know.

Charter Member
    us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    817 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You might have dust or dirt caked in it.
    Try blowing the speaker out with compressed air.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result" Winston Churchill

The truth I do not stretch or shove
    When I state that the dog is full of love.
    I've also found, by actual test,
    A wet dog is the lovingest.
    Ogden Nash

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2586 times
    Metal Detecting
    No I have confirmed, dinky speaker is shot. Board looks new, no signs of corrosion/water damage.
    Looks to be a common, cheap part going to give it a shot, only 2 solder connections

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...W3FmqDiw%3D%3D

Nov 2012
    1477 times
    Probably you can find a solution to your problem here: https://www.detectorexperts.com/prod...SABEgJx2_D_BwE I like the new pink

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2586 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by bowwinkles View Post
    Probably you can find a solution to your problem here: https://www.detectorexperts.com/prod...SABEgJx2_D_BwE I like the new pink
    Oh yeah, pink pinpointer, thats all I need.
    I predict my solution is found once my new dinky speakers arrive

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2255 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    My ears are shot. I wear hearing aids. Can't use the aids with the headphones. I have been going over a year and never noticed my speaker wasn't working until my wife told me it wan't working. Been just using the vibration. Works just fine.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    34089 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thanks for the link!

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2586 times
    Metal Detecting
    Done deal, good as new.
    Was a pain getting the solder out so I could insert the new speaker, maybe I need a better solder sucker but I ended up just drilling out little holes, soldered the new one back in and presto, I have sound again.

Total cost was $10, little speakers only cost $1 each but shipping was $7, I got 2 speakers in case it ever happens again. Time spent on the project, probably half an hour - Better than paying $40+ and wait weeks for repair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5290.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	1837536  
    Toecutter and SD51 like this.

us
    Mar 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    202 times
    All Hidden Historical Items
    I have TWO broken carrots and I am annoyed. One is about 8 months old and it is very spotty in it's signal. The button is shot.

The other is about a month old and the speaker is broken. Vibration still works.

However much I love the carrot, this is ridiculous. It was never submerged or even washed with anything wetter than a damp towel and dried quickly. So, now I have to send both in.

I'm not impressed. Why can't they fix these issues BEFORE they sell them? Change the design? I know pinpointers take somewhat of a beating, but this is ridiculous.
    GopherDaGold likes this.
    "The best thing for being sad is to learn something. Learn why the world wags and what wags it.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    66071 times
    Made a pipe out of a apple and a potato once when I was young.

They had no speakers.

:P
    villival and Toecutter like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    6032 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Made a pipe out of a apple and a potato once when I was young.

They had no speakers.

:P
    Apple for the bowl and the potato for the stem?...
    AARC likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
    2721 times
    Quote Originally Posted by villival View Post
    I have TWO broken carrots and I am annoyed. One is about 8 months old and it is very spotty in it's signal. The button is shot.

The other is about a month old and the speaker is broken. Vibration still works.

However much I love the carrot, this is ridiculous. It was never submerged or even washed with anything wetter than a damp towel and dried quickly. So, now I have to send both in.

I'm not impressed. Why can't they fix these issues BEFORE they sell them? Change the design? I know pinpointers take somewhat of a beating, but this is ridiculous.
    I'd like to know how much you paid for those pointers and did either of them come with a lanyard?
    Watch for Motorcycles

us
    Mar 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    202 times
    All Hidden Historical Items
    I paid approximately 125.00 more or less. I got one for about 119.00 or so due to being a repeat customer with this particular vendor. Generally, I see them for about 127.00 or so. Bart's Big Boy's Hobbies is wonderful to deal with, as often you don't have to pay for shipping.

By lanyard, do you mean the metal hook for hanging? They came with the holder, the instructions and the metal piece to attach to a lanyard.

I haven't abused either of them. The first one I semi fixed by spraying some W-D up in it because it was falsing and doing all kinds of weird stuff. But it's still not right.

The second one has had a month or two of use and it's speaker is broken.
    "The best thing for being sad is to learn something. Learn why the world wags and what wags it.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    66071 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Apple for the bowl and the potato for the stem?...
    No... each their own dealio... I actually did not make them... the chef of a 5 star restaurant did ... I just worked there and partook outside by the dumpster :P

I was like 17.

Toecutter likes this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2010
    Northern California
    MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
    602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by villival View Post

I canít speak for all of them but I bought one for my grandkids to use when I am shallow water hunting, I give them two tries with the carrot before I scoop it and I have had the same one 2-3 years I hunt 1-2 times a week 3-4 hours a day, average 50 targets. The speaker donít sound the the same but underwater it doesnít matter to me. I feel I got my moneyís worth the first year I owned it. Iím gonna buy another one just because. Good luck!
    xr7ator likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links