Japanese-looking vase, no marks on base

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got this thing for a friend of mine last year - he's a huge Japanese history buff and I spotted this piece at the thrift store and thought he might like it. Ever since, I've kind of wondered if it might be an antique. I assume it's just a hunk of junk, but there is nothing on the base that indicates a country of production, so I wonder if it's a unique piece.

It looks a bit too detailed to be something an old lady made at home on her pottery wheel, but what do I know? My friend said initially he thought the front was a depiction of Musashibo Benkei, but then seemed unsure after another look. In any case, it seems like an interesting piece.

Can anyone tell me if they recognize where this thing might have come from? I don't know if this is a style of pottery or not, and I haven't been able to find anything similar online.

Vase4.jpg
Vase3.jpg
Vase1.jpg

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the fast response, surf! That's so cool, I thought it was a more modern piece and here it's (probably) a late 19th century or early 20th century vase. Not the oldest antique ever, but still pretty sweet, and my buddy likes it even more now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread