Japanese or Chinese plate

Rodgerslad22

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

I have a plate which looks very old but I am not sure if it is fake or not.

I know nothing about it, whether it is Japanese or Chinese, how old it is etc. Any info would be great. Diameter is 5.4"

It has some sort of sand or salt underneath at the rim. I cannot make out the red mark as it is rubbed. It is in need of a clean obviously.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0584.JPG

Andy

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is pretty tough because the stamp has worn away. The key to this stamp is the top right corner character because the bottom character is 正 zheng and after doing a little research I'm guessing (very much so guessing) the top right corner is the word 雍 yong. Those two characters 雍正 yong zheng (if it is those two characters combination) refer to the emperor yongzheng, the reign name of Qing emperor from 1722-1735. Now I have looked at plates made during that time and the stamp on the back look nothing like the one you have. there are a few plates that have the stamp similar to yours however the bottom right corner character is not 造 zao (which means make or build or created). Therefore I very much guessing the 雍正 part. Furthermore it looks like the stamp may have been double stamped and judging the quality of the plate and stamp would lead me to believe if it is 雍正 it is a reproduction (it is not real but a fake).

It could however been hand made from a chinese artist many years ago ( one who is not famous maybe a local artist at the time in china) This artist could also have a chinese name with ć­Ł in it. Hope this helps. Good luck in your treasure hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread