SPM impressed mark on porcelain figures.

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Members
I am curious to know if any one has ever come across this impressed mark ,My feeling is that they may be English,or may be German,
I bought them at separate times about 2years apart ,when I saw the second one I felt it was made in the same factory as the first one,only one is stamped,I felt the colours were unusual, porcelain is quite thick and heavy.

any ideas ? I relise they are not expensive items. 2020-09-10 17.22.40.jpg 2020-09-10 17.27.36.jpg 2020-09-10 17.27.59.jpg 2020-09-10 17.28.37.jpg

Regards Freddo

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Freddo

Figurines like yours with SPM marks crop up from time to time. There’s a lot of speculative attribution, but for sure they’re German and from the mid-19th Century onwards. Pastel blue or pink are common dominant colours.

Most usually, the uncertain SPM marks are attributed to J. Schmeisser (Schmeisser Porzellan Manufaktur) of Eisenberg. Schmeisser used a variety of SPM and S.P.M. marks, with and without a sceptre above. They’re mostly underglazed, often in blue, but it’s believed that the factory also used impressed marks. The dating is uncertain, but impressed marks without the sceptre may date between about 1887-1910.

This one with a misaligned ‘M’ (like yours) is generally attributed to Schmeisser, but not with 100% certainty.

Schmeisser.jpg

OP
OP
F

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi roger
Great work
I have looking for a while, do you feel the unmarked one is from the same company?
It is always good to get answer.
Many Thanks Freddo.

OP
OP
F

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Roger
many thanks

Regards Freddo.