Need help ! What type of metal is Platium ?

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: I have a buddy who found a large ( white in color ) mans ring . Stamped on the inside in clear bold letters is the word PLATIUM . There's no other markings anywhere ! Is this another word for Platinum or is it white gold or some other type of metal . It's heavy and weighs in at 8.9 grams .

Can anyone shed a little light on this ? :help:

Thanks
Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
click on "metals" above shows the current "spot" prices of various metals --gold is 1130 ===platinum is 1600-- so oz per oz so its worth more than "yellow gold" -- its often called white gold even though its not gold at all but its own seperate thing

there are 31 grams in a troy oz -- thats jewelers oz used for precious metals=== so 8.9 grams is about .287 of a troy oz x 1600 per oz -- thats $459.20 in platium

OP
OP
Ratman

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ivan ,

So then Platium is Platinum ? Or not .

HH
Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes PLATINUM is a "element" of its own --due to its being used in jewelry like "yellow" gold and its high cost ( more than gold)--many folks in error call it "white gold" commonly

in simple terms == platnium is platinum :icon_thumright: markings commonly used on platinum items PLAT -- 950 ( note sterling silver is marked 925 --however 950 means platinum --big differance there $$$ wize !! )--and of course the word ---platinum--- like your says

your buddy got a great find there.

OP
OP
Ratman

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Ivan I'll give him the good news .
HH
Mike

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Platinum: One of the precious metals- actually a group of precious metals that are used in electronics and catalytic converters. Platinum is also used in jewelry and as coins.

If you Google platinum and do a little bit of research, you can find all sorts of interesting information on that metal and it's uses.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there might be some confusion in this thread between the word platium, and the word
platinum. Argentium.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
There is no such thing as Platium (as far as elements go). There is Platinum and Palladium. Both are in the Platinum metals group, along with a few other rare metals.

Maybe some type of manmade item, but doesn't show up in Webster's dictionary or in Google searches.

Jim

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
spelling error clearly . -- platinum * (white in color) ring

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
Maybe some type of manmade item, but doesn't show up in Webster's dictionary or in Google searches.

I used google and got 284,000 hits on the word platium

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ratman said:
bold letters is the word PLATIUM
There are a lot of fakes out there. Maybe the company purposly misspelled the word to make people think it is platinum and it is really just a base metal.

For the fun of it, I bid on an ebay item I knew was fake. The chinese guy purposly listed his ring as "18K gild ring" with a starting price of one cent. I bid one cent and won :icon_thumleft: knowing full well it was fake. When I got it I tested it and just a base metal with yellow metal plating. I do not like counterfiters of tricksters. He is a power seller on ebay so I know I will be fighting with ebay too. I don't think they are going to punish someone who does so much business with them. >:(

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
wayne1956 said:
jim4silver said:

I used google and got 284,000 hits on the word platium

I should have specified that none of the "hits" I saw were in reference to jewelry stamped with such a word. The few I checked were due to spelling-challenged folks who could not spell platinum, or names of companies or places, etc.

Can you show me one of those "hits" that lists a type of PM used to make jewelry?

Jim

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
18 kt gild or gilt --gilded or gilted is a gold toned coating --clearly spelt that way to take advanage of folks -- no one but no one is going to sell a "real" 18 kt ring for 1 cent --- get real folks , think for a second --if it does not make sense its generally a rip off in some way. :icon_scratch:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
18 kt gild or gilt --gilded or gilted is a gold toned coating --clearly spelt that way to take advanage of folks --
the one cent was an opening bid. I knew it was fake, just wanted to let future customers and ebay know about him. It is comming from the fake/ripoff capitol of the world, China.

ivan salis said:
no one but no one is going to sell a "real" 18 kt ring for 1 cent
I have come across some good deals in my metal hunting lifetime.
Platinum mans ring for $1
14K white gold broach (more than 20g) for 50¢

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if you came across those kind of "deals" --clearly you were dealing with "morons" who do not have a clue and do not know where to buy one either. -- but if ypu paid their "asking" price, they screwed themselves -- yep proof that stupidity and / or carelessness can hurt you bad fiscally.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
if you came across those kind of "deals" --clearly you were dealing with "morons" who do not have a clue and do not know where to buy one either. -- but if ypu paid their "asking" price, they screwed themselves -- yep proof that stupidity and / or carelessness can hurt you bad fiscally.
they were just sittin (actually on the bottom) in a basket of junk jewelry at a yard sale. I always look at everything.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I too keep a "sharp eye" out -- folks call it being a "hustler" where I come from --to be alert for any chance to make a buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread