cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife just got back from Japan. She was back for several weeks to visit family. While there (at her dad's house) she got a call from a very polite (but that's normal) lady offering to buy old, broken, unwanted gold jewelry. They will come to your house or you could bring it in.

I thought about doing something like that next time I visited. I figured this was only happening in the USA. In my experience 18K is most popular in Japan and if it says 18K that is what it is. Here in the states if it says 14K you can be sure it is only 13.5K

I wonder if the gold buyer business has a bad rep like here. >:(

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I have heard from a couple of coin dealers that when it comes to gold bullion coins, Asains prefer .999 and will often avoid anything less. I have heard that they prefer .999 gold in India too.

Don't know if any of this is actually true or not.

Jim

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I have heard that they prefer .999 gold in India too.
I have heard that Indians like 18K jewelry but (on a 60 min type show) many Indian jewelers really undercut the gold. So if you buy gold from an indian and you find out they brought it from the old country do not believe the K value.

The town I live in has a medium size Indian population. I love the curry smells. It also has a large Korean population. Don't like the kimche and garlic smells. Boy I get sidetracked don't I??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread