SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I picked up a box full of forks, spoons, knives and such at a yard sale this weekend. While some of it has obvious markings identifying it as silver, some is marked silver plate and some says silver over nickel silver most of it does not have markings identifying it as silver. Some of its pretty old stuff with Patent dates and such from the 1800's and is pretty ornate. Is there a web site devoted to this sort of stuff? I'd like to pull the silver from the rest and use the plate and garbage pieces in an art project.

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a good web site out there for identifying makers marks on old spoons, forks etc. Did makers always mark their silver items?

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. One more question, Does the stuff that I have that turns out to be silver plate have any value for the silver or is there too little silver in it to be worth messing with?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
Thanks for the info. One more question, Does the stuff that I have that turns out to be silver plate have any value for the silver or is there too little silver in it to be worth messing with?

too little silver in it to be worth messing with!

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since I specifically asked about the value of the SILVER It would seem logical to most that I was referring to monetary value no?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread