ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello all, I am a newbie in the precious metals area, but long time reader. I have been looking into everything I can about precious metals because I would like to start investing in them. I don't have alot, but if I continue to wait I may never actually start. I've noticed that some people are investing in copper. I have one question regarding the copper. Is the copper that is sold as bullion and in coins the same as the one in wires? I've noticed the price that bullion sells for is much more than the scrap wire copper is bought. Is that because bullion is more pure? If so, where can I find the price for copper, since the only one I can find is the one for scrap, I think? :icon_scratch:

Luis S.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Why do you want to invest in copper bullion? I don't own copper, but if I was going to invest in it I would do so via the futures markets or etfs, etc.

Copper is not a precious metal but is purely industrial. If the world economy slows down, copper's price will decline. If you don't have much capital you might consider silver instead.

Good luck in your investing!

Jim

OP
OP
E

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I guess I should have been a little clearer in my post. I am actually looking to start in silver and if possible, some gold. It was more of a curiosity question I guess. I see so much on Ebay and some sites on the net, but I guess its like everything else, everybody out to make a buck. Thanks for the reply. :icon_thumleft:

Luis S.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Exactly right on the copper bullion thing... its probably SUPER cheap $0.25 or so to make a 1oz coin of copper.... but people will think they are investing in a precious metal because its shiny, and spend $5-$10 lol yes, go with silver, it is on the rise right now... shoulda got in at $35 per ounce...

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
actually those copper oz rounds are a good seller, i know a couple dealers that sell them for 3.50-4.00 bucks each and have a hard time keepin them in stock, if you look around these can easily be picked up for under 1.75 each and double your money

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think hoarding copper is a great idea!!!! right now a pre-82 penny has 97.5% copper and today according to coinflation.com is worth 2.7 cents. Yes get as much silver as you can quickly but just finding copper pennies and hanging on to them you make 270% in melt value based on your investment. I have been into silver for 3 years and just now started hoarding pennies. Best and cheapest way to get copper. Remember what are the 3 PM's that have been looked at money for 5000 years.......that's right Gold, silver, COPPER!!!!!

And remember Silver and gold will be the primary way to save your net worth from hyperinflation, but have some copper to will be a added bonus. And Lord help us if we ever get there but if our dollar collapses copper will also be a means of monetary transfer for goods...aka barter.

Keep it up and good luck. Your still ahead of the curve. And in my opinion silver should be $75-$100 right now based on historical GSR. So I consider anything under that a bargin but that is just me.

OP
OP
E

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for the replies and the info, I really appreciate it. I may start saving my older cents now too and see what happens, it is very easy to do, I already have thousands of them in a bottle I throw them in at home. Just need to sort through them. Sounds like something for my daughter to do with her free time :laughing7: Thanks again and I will continue my research and visits here of course.

Luis S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread