Anyone buying any PMs now?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
As funds allow I am still adding a bit here and there. Got some low premiums assorted ASEs that are mixed years recently. Had a couple of nice '96 coins in there too so I was happy. Since I got them for about the same as generic I am happy, even though some in the bunch had the dreaded milk spots that do not dip out at all. Normally I am not a fan of ASEs due to the high premiums and they tend to get the spots over time in my opinion, but for a cheaper price I will buy them as much as I can.

Jim

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a little over an OZ today, and 3 OZ on Monday. Paid about $9 for all of it. Ill be sticking to my silver even if it goes to $10/OZ though no way in hell that is happening. Not with comrade Obama in charge and our congress spending my great great great grand kids money.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a five oz donkey bar yesterday and several proof sets. $149 for the Donkey Bar with free shipping and the Proof sets at 16 a pop with free shipping....

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still buying. Every time I buy at these relatively low prices it improves my DCA.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Stacker and still going strong no matter the spot price.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Got a few more lower premium slightly blemished ASEs today (Thursday) for 50 cents over spot. Although I have nothing to base this on, I believe at some point this year PMs are going to start rising again and these prices will be gone until the bull market finally ends. Of course I said that late last year and was wrong, so maybe I will be wrong again. Either way, I will keep buying at these prices as cash flow allows.

But I do know I will not buy any more silver once it breaks $35. At that point I am done buying. Maybe will switch back to gold once the silver to gold ratio drops again (if it ever does).

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you Jim I'm still Stacking anytime I get spare cash I buy. That was a great deal you got on those AE's and I also believe this price is gonna go up sooner rather than later to much crap happening right now in the world. Keep Stacking

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This seems to be a confusing period for PM's. This following article is a good read to get a glimpse of what is going on now.

Gold

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Bought a little more for the stash today. Although I am not a fan of buying 90%, I was offered some Unc. 1964 Kennedys for 20X face, which came to about a buck under spot per ounce. Got some nice .999 for 50 cents over spot too.

Jim

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
jim4silver said:
Bought a little more for the stash today. Although I am not a fan of buying 90%, I was offered some Unc. 1964 Kennedys for 20X face, which came to about a buck under spot per ounce. Got some nice .999 for 50 cents over spot too.

Jim

I actually like 90% when I can get a good price. You did good.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! Jim if you don't like the 90% I'll take it of your hands. Lol Good deal by the way.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I don't dislike 90% per se, and I used to love finding it at face value when I was into CRHing. But I know from talking to some old timer coin dealers that back in the 80s when silver was shooting up to 50, the coin dealers were not paying anywhere near melt for 90% because so much was being dumped on them by sellers due to the quick rise in price and refiners had too much so they weren't paying the coin dealers much for it. One told me the most he remembered paying for it was 36 bucks per ounce. That's a big haircut when silver was near 50 for at least a while.

So when I can get .999 at a better price based on local buy/sell spreads it is a no brainer for me to get the .999 over 90%. I believe that if/when silver does take off past 50, we will see pretty much the remaining junk silver and silverware get sold that is now being held by non silver bug types who are holding grandpas coin collection, etc, for sentimental reasons. By the time we get to that silver price, many folks will need the cash so when they see the price get that high and hear about it on TV, they will sell I believe. At that point it will be mostly the PM bugs holding their metals waiting for 100 bucks, don't know if we will ever get that or not.

Since I don't know when I would sell a bunch of my silver (50, 60, 70, ??), I want to be able to get the most I can when I sell, and I believe I will be able to do that with .999 over junk. I still have some junk silver from my CRHing days and from my early days as a silver bug when I was buying that exclusively.

Another problem with alot of the junk silver is that it is highly worn. I believe that when silver takes off in price, junk will start being bought by weight and not face. When that happens, those who invested in worn liberty quarters, Walker halves, mercs, etc, may have an unpleasant surprise when they sell.

I would really like to get cheapo silver dollars, but even with the good coin dealers I buy from now they want way too much premium even for lower quality coins based on melt. If they ever sell these at melt or below like the halves, etc, I would buy a bunch of the silver dollars simply because they are cool. These coins have the widest buy/sell spread for any common form of silver coins I see around here.

Jim

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought another 100 oz when it hit $27. Wish I had more spare cash to keep buying while it's down. It's going back up sooner or later.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Jason in Enid said:
I bought another 100 oz when it hit $27. Wish I had more spare cash to keep buying while it's down. It's going back up sooner or later.

I agree - I am buying mire this week too

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Anyone get any today? I got in when it broke down in the 26 zone. Was able to get some AU//BU Franklins at 19.60 per dollar of coins. I was able to search through the "bin" and pick out what I wanted. It looked pretty much picked over but that was fine since I really just wanted to get unworn Franklins and they were out of cheapo bullion (at least anything worth buying). Was able to nab a 1955 that was in there that looks AU. Also able to get a 1948 and 1949 in AU. The rest were mixed years but mostly looked for years in the 50's that were as good as possible. Maybe will have some numismatic value for my great grandkids. :D

Jim

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
I hope to pick some more up today. Nice grab on the Franklins.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm buyin' when I can find it. Last weekend my LCS was wanting $15 for junk halves.:icon_scratch: I had to pass on that.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
usandthem said:
I'm buyin' when I can find it. Last weekend my LCS was wanting $15 for junk halves.:icon_scratch: I had to pass on that.

Not much for options here locally. I have to rely on private sales or online.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone get any today? I got in when it broke down in the 26 zone. Was able to get some AU//BU Franklins at 19.60 per dollar of coins. I was able to search through the "bin" and pick out what I wanted. It looked pretty much picked over but that was fine since I really just wanted to get unworn Franklins and they were out of cheapo bullion (at least anything worth buying). Was able to nab a 1955 that was in there that looks AU. Also able to get a 1948 and 1949 in AU. The rest were mixed years but mostly looked for years in the 50's that were as good as possible. Maybe will have some numismatic value for my great grandkids. :D

Jim

Picked up 5 1961 US Proof Sets, 2 US 1962 Proof Sets and 3 1963 US Proof Sets on the bay this evening for 17.00 a pop. That is 5 - 7 dollars cheaper than the online PM's sites and shipping was free. I know that it is over melt by a couple of cents but it is the cheapest I have seen in quite sometime. Just had to grab them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread