PMs vs. stocks

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
PM's vs. stocks

Nobody can deny how well stocks have been doing for the past few years, as PM's have been dragged down. However, in the past week or so I cannot help but see just how much PM's are preferable to stocks when comparing which is best to own in a price downturn.

What I mean is, as I watch Netflix (which creates an awesome product) this morning drop 25% in one day, why do I prefer PM's in general to any paper asset? The answer is this, no matter what happens to the silver price I have an ounce of shiny (or toned) metal in my possession. With stocks, if they go to zero I have a certificate to show for it (most people don't even hold the actual certificate in their possession though). Unless it is taken from me I will always have that ounce of metal to hold.

Further, some folks here (and other places) have stated ANY asset is only worth what someone is paying for it (or something to that effect). These folks will say even sea shells have been money, or beads or tulip bulbs, etc. And that every item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. These folks will often throw out one exception, that is food and water, which have uses other than money and thus have some internal "value" completely apart from "money" or worth derived from that someone is willing to pay you for it. Since we need to eat to survive, who cares what you can get by selling said food and water, right?

My view is that everything that is said for food and water can be said for silver (absent a Mad max scenario). Why? Because silver has so many uses (other than value storage and money) in that it can be used in medicine, solar panels, all electronic devices, fibers in clothing, etc etc etc. Thus, even if nobody wanted to hold silver for investment purposes, there are still hundreds of other uses that will GUARANTEE silver's demand by at the very least, industry. Maybe they will only need to pay $1 for this metal per ounce, but buy it they must IF we continue to evolve technologically, or even if we only keep the level we have now. The same though cannot be said for gold.

Can this be said for any paper asset that you hold?-- I am not referring to the company or thing that said paper asset represents, but the actual paper thing you hold that represents what you bought. I will say to answer my own question the answer is NO. Just one quick example of this. Let's say you hold a stock of a company and said company goes into reorganization (like bankruptcy). If you hold the stock it can go to zero as the company shirks its debts and responsibilities. Then the company comes out of the reorganization process and gets to issue brand new stock; the old stock is now worthless--this is what happened to GM a few years ago. I know some poor old ba$tard$ that held their original GM stock as it dipped below $1 and these folks lost everything they had in said stock and most of their accumulated wealth (life long retired GM employees). Even though the underlying company is still around and now free of its past shackles, the former stock is now worthless. Such a dilemma cannot happen if you hold a physical asset that has many physical uses, like silver. As far as I know, the Gods will not let silver ever file bankruptcy. It is just not an option.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Now if we could just get it to pay a dividend......

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for me I'm all Physical right now but I am playing and learning with a small amount on the Miner stocks as eventually, if and when the spot price rises, I will dive into the Miners big time but again that's down the road and there is no way I'll touch the stock market right now. Keep Stacking

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Jim,
You are so right on so many levels. I am now starting to buy more silver. I bought $100 in silver coins today for $150.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What stinks about PM's is that you buy it at a huge mark up. Call any of the sellers and tell them you want $8,000 dollars of gold/silver coins. They'll sell you assorted coins. Turn around and say, alright, how much can I sell them back for? They'll give you about $5,500. Point being, when you buy PM's, the mark up is so high; it takes a huge jump in price just to get your money back.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
What stinks about PM's is that you buy it at a huge mark up. Call any of the sellers and tell them you want $8,000 dollars of gold/silver coins. They'll sell you assorted coins. Turn around and say, alright, how much can I sell them back for? They'll give you about $5,500. Point being, when you buy PM's, the mark up is so high; it takes a huge jump in price just to get your money back.
I very rarely buy for dealers. It is best to buy from individuals and most of the time I can buy it for a lot less.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
PM's vs. stocks?

Broken record here (me). Own both, as well as bonds and cash (fiat, as this forum likes to refer to it), and real estate. DIVERSIFY, DIVERSIFY, DIVERSIFY.

For the record, if I really did expect a SHTF event (which is when Jim's aforementioned logic would really become operable), I would be completely out of stocks, still hold some cash, load up on PM, and acquire copious levels survival basics (food, water, blankets, meds, alcohol, guns, etc..).

Although I don't expect such an event in my lifetime, I still hold PMs and maintain a certain level of survival basics.

NOBODY knows for certain what the future holds. Hedge your bet by diversifying financially, and by maintaining contingency supplies. That's my opinion.

TCK

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Both Dman and TCK are right

As far as buying from individuals that is the best bet if you care to deal with joe public. I am lucky I have a couple local coin dealers that treat me pretty much like a fellow coin dealer and let me buy from them wholesale on certain items they want to get rid of but don't feel like selling for retail in their shops.

And I wish I had originally diversified more as I watched the stock market go up these past few years but unfortunately I listened to too many pundits and believed silver would be at 500 by now. Having said that, I feel very safe having much of my investment $$$ in physical silver.

I do though diversify now a bit in ETF's and such. I have made a couple correct calls regarding the VIX and bear stock ETF's, but my profits aren't as much as I thought they would be considering how far we recently moved. But if we keep dropping I might get back in. Can't buy and hold those though.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I very rarely buy for dealers. It is best to buy from individuals and most of the time I can buy it for a lot less.
Dman, I see your last deal you paid 1.5 X face for silver - excellent!
Where do you find these sucker...I mean sellers?
If I could find it for 10 X face I'd be very happy.

The uneducated I run across think their common silver coin is worth THOUSANDS.

Last edited:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking the same thing as the rate right now is around X13.80. Give me those deals all day long at X 1.5. I have been stacking for the past few years and I have never bought them that low. Great Beans. Keep Stacking

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

I have my on retail store and people bring me stuff on occasion they want to sell.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I've noticed that there are some pundits who over the past couple years were mostly wrong on all their PM calls (they were calling for higher prices) are now making calls on the stock market. I guess they cannot figure out what PM's are going to do so they will try guessing the stock moves. One I recently read who I consider a good contrary indicator (do the opposite of what he predicts) says stocks are going to take off again soon.

I hope he is as wrong now as he has been about gold/silver over the past couple years. My VIX positions will benefit greatly if he is wrong.

PS In a similar way many of the former PM bull pundits are now saying PM's will crash more. Hope they are wrong too, although I don't have enough PM's and wouldn't mind buying more cheaper. Once silver hits $20 or so again I am done buying (physical) and will be playing paper only (the physical gets stashed for long term holdings). Will flip the paper for fun and profit.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you Jim. I have started buying miners and boy don't be watching them on a daily bases. Lol Talk about up and down. Lol Then again I have to make some Fiat to buy but this year has been a let down so far. Keep Stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread