Silver bars or silver coins??

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Investing in coin?? Is this coin thats minted by different company's, or real american silver coins that are 90% silver?

Generally speaking, in the coin world, the term "coin" refers to a coin minted by a government some place in the world. It will usually have some type of $ value stamped on it from its country of origin and will have legal tender status. Some of these "coins" can be real money minted in the past to spend as currency (US 90% pre- 65 coinage) or modern day commemoratives, bullion, etc. Examples of bullion are the US ASE, Canadian Maple, Austrian Philharmonic, various Australian mint issues, etc. Interesting though that the world popular gold South African Kruggerand does not list a money value if memory serves, but it still a great choice.

When a private company mints a silver, gold or other PM coin it is generally referred to as a "round" or more rarely a "medal". Sometimes a government will come out with a PM "coin" that has no legal tender status and will call it a "medal" too, but that is somewhat rare at least for the US- like the gold art medallions from the 80's (one had Mark Twain, and some other ones with folks I had never heard of) or the modern day 911 silver medallion, etc.

To make it easy, I look for any PM "coin" issued by a world gov. Whether coin or medal I don't care, but I try to avoid any private minted stuff nowadays simply due to excessive counterfeiting. I also try to stick to .999 silver coins if possible. Although I do collect 92.5% (sterling silver) world coins if the deal is good- some issues have high collector value but can be bought locally for near melt because the local stores just want to flip it and don't want to mess with ebay, etc. But be careful buying any silver coin or medal that is sterling or lower purity (other than 90% US silver) because most coin dealers (here at least) will not want to pay you much when you sell sterling because it is not .999 and they will often tell you "I have to send this to the refiner to be melted and they only pay me x% of spot", etc., and you can get somewhat ripped off when they offer far less than melt.

Even though sterling is more pure than 90% us junk, the demand for us junk is so high generally that people are sometimes willing to pay MORE for it than .999 coins on a pure silver content basis. I would not do that myself though except when I get good deals on lower mintage US commemorative silver dollars that are the same composition as the Peace and Morgan dollars.

Just my opinion.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I also see gold coins that are 22 caret, Is this the standard?? I was curious about the 22 caret and is that the standard when buying gold coins?
When "carat" is mentioned, that term is used for the measurement of gemstones, diamonds, etc."Karat" is the gold unit for purity.

24kt = 100% gold
22kt = 91.6%, 8.4% other metal
18kt = 75 %, 25% other metal, etc.

22kt is not the standard for gold coins. For instance, an American Gold Eagle, which is 22kt, contains 1oz. of gold, and 8.4% copper.

A Gold Canadian Maple is a 24kt gold coin containing 1oz of gold, and is .9999% pure.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Guys, I did buy some silver bars and bought through a mint and not private, but I will be careful here now

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who sells 24 kt. gold coins??? If I am going to buy gold coins I would want them pure gold

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I get where to buy gold coins, but 24kt. ones. I find it odd that the US does not make a 24kt. coin, or am I missing something?? Why do you have to buy a Canadian coin to get 24kt.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I get where to buy gold coins, but 24kt. ones. I find it odd that the US does not make a 24kt. coin, or am I missing something?? Why do you have to buy a Canadian coin to get 24kt.

Cause it's America..lol. And there are .9999 Gold coins that you can buy, they just weren't used in circulation

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I am beginning too understand, US makes them, they just are not circulated?? Am I correct and getting there?? I would like to see gold come down just a little bit, but then next week I may be sorry I did not purchase today

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1 ounce American Gold Buffalo coins are 24 karat.

I had a brother Rest in peace that lived in Riverside, never got out there to see him. We were both in the service, Him Navy and me Army and we only seen one another 2-3 times tops after our obligation.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes you are missing something. The $50 gold buffalo is a US mint, 24kt, and they are cheaper at Provident, even with shipping.

RiversideRob

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2011
Riverside, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a brother Rest in peace that lived in Riverside, never got out there to see him. We were both in the service, Him Navy and me Army and we only seen one another 2-3 times tops after our obligation.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I have a brother on the east coast as well. Thank you both for your service.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sales are slow on Ebay for gold coins today. probably account of the small raise. I am hopefully waiting for it to take a dip, but as they say, You snooze you loose, Still time is on my side. I would like to see it go to 1200 before I jump off the fence

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother did not take care of himself. he died at 61 years old. he was the oldest out of 6 of us. mom always feared she would not want to bury one of her children, but it was not to be, not soon after she gave up at 91 years old. Living in the Bronx as a child, my brother was the toughest guy in the neighborhood. he was stationed in California and he liked the area so he stayed. he was a good guy and missed for sure, I lost so many brothers, and even though they were not blood they are always in my heart . Thanks for the response...............Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread