Are the 90% mint proofs a decent start to silver buying

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you into collecting coins or silver? If I were trying to stack silver I'd stay away from proofs unless they were really cheap. :cat:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he said.... If you are stacking, just go for common 90% coins. IF you are collecting then go for the proofs.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a " former " silver investor, I can offer some advice
I made a killing a couple years ago in silver
The previous replies are correct.
Question - what is your interest in silver?
Coin collecting for your pleasure of collecting silver as an investment?
18 yrs ago, I started buying uncirculated modern eagles direct from the mint for 9.00 - 10 .00 each
I went crazy on them
I also shopped around for silver ingots for the best price, I Had pounds and pounds of it in my safe.
For years I would never pay more then 9 -12 a coin or ounce.
I was addicted to going to flea markets looking for deals on silver, morgans and eagles
The end of this story is - I never paid more that 12.00 and ounce
Couple years ago I found buyers to take the silver off my hands for around 42.00 an ounce
Aprox profit of 30.00 an ounce
For investment purposes, I would consider Ingots
As for me, Due to the current metal market, I wont touch metals,
I made a fortune on speculation.
Have been a coin collector most of my life.
Feel free to contact me if you like
Brady

OP
OP
D

digit13

Sep 19, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I should have been more detailed in the post. I do collect a few coins but I was thinking long term on silver. I guess the proofs are a convenient but costly choice. Other than a few eagles I bought and sold a few years back I've no experience. The other ones mentioned I assume you mean pre-'64 coins? Again, thanks alot. Very helpful replies.

OP
OP
D

digit13

Sep 19, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these replies made so much sense. I'm in it for the long haul and got that "collector" streak in me as well. I had the same wonder about eagles and other .999 stuff. Does it matter that much on grade. I assume the answer is pretty much the same. Lowest price and premium. I'm using the detector as exercise but I'd love to get some found silver. Brady, I read your post several times and found alot of info in that paragraph. I'm awaiting some surgery but will be going to a show close to here in Feb. thanks folks,

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I should have been more detailed in the post. I do collect a few coins but I was thinking long term on silver. I guess the proofs are a convenient but costly choice. Other than a few eagles I bought and sold a few years back I've no experience. The other ones mentioned I assume you mean pre-'64 coins? Again, thanks alot. Very helpful replies.
I think you meant pre-'65. 1964 would include 90% silver also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread