Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: The Misadventures of Mad Machinist

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6051 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    LOL Reminds me of the jeep I had before I moved! I'll see if I can find some pics, I built it pretty much in the driveway.The garage was a one car and swiss cheese. No cherry picker,I cut the old frame from around the motor. I had to block up the motor then drop the bare frame over from the top. Then bolt motor mounts(since it was a 4cyl,frame going over a 6cyl) until I could drive somewhere to weld later.Oh I had no air at that house either. I wanted a Jeep so I built one from 3 by myself and a lot of swearing! Don't forget Ohio rust too! lol I have some pics it didn't look like that when we moved. It was driven and offroad hard! I gave it to a friend when I moved. Your pics reminded me of it!
    Attachment 1197644Attachment 1197645Attachment 1197646

The last pic shows what I was talking about the motor mounts, I had to cut them off, then when over the motor place them back in. Lot of work!A lot of junk in the pic too! But you have to work with what ya got sometimes!

To get the tub on I used 2x4s and ratchet straps. No one was around to help. And I was too impatient to wait!
    Last edited by Nitric; Aug 10, 2015 at 04:13 AM.

Sep 2015
    LaSalle County
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machinist View Post
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I elected to take some time off and finally get my shoulder fixed right. Still need a few weeks to get back up to full speed.

Got the engine just about done for the truck. 383 stroker. Plenty of low end torque for pulling the trailer back and forth from the claim.
    I built a 383 for my 87 Z28 drag car. It was a beast even without the 150 hp NOS system.

Nice choice!

Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    Still out of commission for awhile until my heart problems get cleared up. Good news is the doctors were able to get my heart function back up to 90% from the 65% it was at. The only problem is the fact that one of the medications causes a heat intolerance. Not a good thing in Southern Arizona.

Now that it starting to cool off here I can get a little more active. Looks like a garage remodel is in order for A/C in the summer time. And probably a few more "toys" to make my misadventures a little easier on my body.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

gold miner antique collector

Sep 2013
    e.rochester nh.
    whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
    1404 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Still out of commission for awhile until my heart problems get cleared up. Good news is the doctors were able to get my heart function back up to 90% from the 65% it was at. The only problem is the fact that one of the medications causes a heat intolerance. Not a good thing in Southern Arizona.

Now that it starting to cool off here I can get a little more active. Looks like a garage remodel is in order for A/C in the summer time. And probably a few more "toys" to make my misadventures a little easier on my body.
    Heart problems zuck! I too am dealing with them got a pace maker and my heart still ramps up to 204 beats! You're gonna love that stroker motor I have a 388 in my hotrod tons of power. And you do get heat and cold intolerance from the meds I hate it ! But hey, we're looking at flowers instead of roots!
    Jeff95531 and Mad Machinist like this.
    Some times skill has nothing to do with it!

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4091 times
    Prospecting
    Adapt and prosper.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nh.nugget View Post
    Heart problems zuck! I too am dealing with them got a pace maker and my heart still ramps up to 204 beats! You're gonna love that stroker motor I have a 388 in my hotrod tons of power. And you do get heat and cold intolerance from the meds I hate it ! But hey, we're looking at flowers instead of roots!
    I'll be okay. The wife always tells me I'm tougher than a two dollar steak.
    bobw53, Jeff95531 and nh.nugget like this.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff95531 View Post
    Adapt and prosper.
    I will. Just have to build a few things to make my adventures a little easier.
    Jeff95531 and nh.nugget like this.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    And three become one. Mine is in the middle receiving donor parts from the other two. The one on the left is the '76 I picked up for a few parts and the one on the right is an '89 suburban given to me for parts. Most of the interior parts for mine are coming from the burn including Ac and an updated dash and wiring harness for some other added creature comforts since I have slowed way down and the wife will be with me most times now.

The interior pic is of my truck with the '73 dash cut out ready to receive the '89 dash. This one will have a few twists to it. I just wanna see who figures it out first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151101_093127.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	1230543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151101_144439.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	1230544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151101_144354.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	1230545  
    nh.nugget and Rockwerx like this.

Sep 2013
    e.rochester nh.
    1404 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Man you're just as bad as me! You're doing just what I did for a living. I did a 77 GMC for myself built it out of 10 different trucks scrap yard loved me. LOL! Now I got the Weapon it's an 88 GMC 4wd, 33's, 4'' lift, and oh'veah a 427 bbc built for an 871 blower. And yes it pushes snow like you wanna' read about
    Jeff95531 likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    I could go drop $70k cash on a truck tomorrow if I wanted. I just can't bring myself to spend almost as much on a truck as I spent on my house. Especially when I'm just gonna pound the crap out of it. The new trucks are nice but they don't hold up under heavy off road use.

Most of our trucks at work are F450s and F550s with under 25k and they are falling apart already.
    nh.nugget likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    Been awhile since I posted anything so I'll give an update on my condition. I found my limitations and am dealing with them. Now that my heart function seems to have stabilized, it looks like I am going to possibly start some cardiac rehab in January, pending final decision from the doctor. Hopefully between the medication and some additional work I can get the left ventricle of my heart working again. Normal left ventricle function is 55-75% and mine is at 39%.

On a different note though, has anyone bought any equipment from Mount Baker Mining and Metals, LLC. Jaw Crushers | Hammer Mills | Mt. Baker Mining and Metals I'm really considering doing a setup in a conex box or two or maybe a trailer mounted setup for portability.

Sep 2013
    e.rochester nh.
    1404 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    We can hook you up to a Die hard LOL! Seriously health comes first. I hear ya on the new truck my 03 Dodge 2500 that I bought new was more than my house! When I my body shop it seemed I was fixing rust on cars and trucks just a few years old. The new stuff is crap.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nh.nugget View Post
    We can hook you up to a Die hard LOL! Seriously health comes first. I hear ya on the new truck my 03 Dodge 2500 that I bought new was more than my house! When I my body shop it seemed I was fixing rust on cars and trucks just a few years old. The new stuff is crap.
    No Die Hards!!!! I'm gonna go straight to 7200 three phase.

Docs tell me even with the cardiac rehab, I'll never be able to do the things I did before on the level I did. So I tell the docs that I'll go heavily mechanized. With the advancements in battery tech, I really do think a lot more can be done as far as modifying equipment to work with a minimal cost and a very good life span of the equipment.

I found some smaller equipment with blow engines that might work rather well. I am wondering and trying to draw up some plane to modify one of the mini-excavators to hold a jack leg to remove the physical requirements of operating one. If you've never seen a jack leg get wild, then you really don't want to. People get seriously hurt that way.

Some of what I am trying to figure out means that an adit would have to be necessarily larger but with mechanized equipment it would be a lot easier especially if it comes to stoping something or bolting the roof and ribs.
    Rockwerx and nh.nugget like this.

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4091 times
    Prospecting
    Been awhile since I posted anything so I'll give an update on my condition. I found my limitations and am dealing with them. Now that my heart function seems to have stabilized, it looks like I am going to possibly start some cardiac rehab in January, pending final decision from the doctor. Hopefully between the medication and some additional work I can get the left ventricle of my heart working again. Normal left ventricle function is 55-75% and mine is at 39%.

On a different note though, has anyone bought any equipment from Mount Baker Mining and Metals, LLC. Jaw Crushers | Hammer Mills | Mt. Baker Mining and Metals I'm really considering doing a setup in a conex box or two or maybe a trailer mounted setup for portability.
    It sucks getting older. I call it the "my memories outnumber my abilities" period. I have to call it something because by the time I had reached "middle age", I had already lived right thru it with out even realizing it.
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4279 times
    Prospecting
    In keeping to a promise made to a friend, after everything he taught me, everything I design is going here to try and make small mining safer, more efficient, and more profitable in order to keep the trade alive. This one's for you, ya old coyote. Jack leg on a modified excavator boom. 360 degrees of rotation on two planes so any position and/or angle is possible. With the proper adapters, bolting is also possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drill design1 001.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	683.9 KB 
ID:	1242776  
    nh.nugget likes this.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links