OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, I've been itching to go back there, but have been sick and haven't gone out in over a month! I really want to finish cleaning out that crevice I was working, I know there's more there. I'm not sure crossing is going to be an option until next summer though. I've been looking and I think that a little further upstream, maybe half 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile, would be nice. I think that's maybe where you were talking about getting to the first time.
yep there is a nice horseshoe bend upriver. Id like to camp tho. to much for day trip. Let me know when your feeling better and we will get some gold. How much did you end up getting that day? looked close to 2g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That area looks beautiful. With the snow falling around here it's making my mouth water!
I should go to AZ this winter and do some digging. Anywhere that is diggable would be nice.

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep there is a nice horseshoe bend upriver. Id like to camp tho. to much for day trip. Let me know when your feeling better and we will get some gold. How much did you end up getting that day? looked close to 2g

I'm not sure, my scale broke and I haven't got another one yet, so I just added it to my vial. I am pretty sure it was around 2 grams, give or take. Yea camping down there would definitely be a blast. I'd like to do at least two over nighters down there next year. One there and one a little further upstream. I'll hit you up, it will probably be at least January before I can get out again. Camping would probably more around April or later depending on the winter.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going out Thanksgiving morning to dig gold before dealing with family has been my little tradition. So i hit up the spot closet to my parents house and there was great flow. I figured I would be the only one out there but there were 2 other. Although they had no idea what they were doing. This spot is a find the pay, and then dig your face off type of spot and one guy was going around with a sucker tube sucking gravel off the top of a gravel bar LOL the other decided he would set up 10 ft directly below my bazooka when the was all the dirt in the world to dig. Seriously was digging right in my tailings as they came off the sluice. I asked him if he was checking my recovery rates and he said he was looking for cool rocks....OK..

So I got in a solid 3 hrs of exercise, it was a beautiful day and the fresh crisp air gave me the strength I would need to deal with family antics later on.....

0.jpg 5.jpg

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg 13.jpg p.jpg

Forgot a couple pictures from the last dig. Trees turning here too. Just look at that epic Sluice run. You could get 25 boxes going on that line lol. My dig spot at first glance looks like overburden with driftwood but That drift wood keyed me in being that I now what it looked liked before all the digging. Water hasn't been high enough to move that wood so that hasn't been dug yet this year ;) I knew that just under the top cobbles would be pay. Still had to carry a little way but not far. Beautiful morning. Pan shot was at the river. One cleanup from 3hrs Bazooka prospector, probably 3/4 of a yard, hand picked the larger stuff off no classifier. Screened the cons to 1/8 and panned down to all black for the shot.

Last edited:

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1523874 View attachment 1523875 View attachment 1523876

Forgot a couple pictures from the last dig. Trees turning here too. Just look at that epic Sluice run. You could get 25 boxes going on that line lol. My dig spot at first glance looks like overburden with driftwood but That drift wood keyed me in being that I now what it looked liked before all the digging. Water hasn't been high enough to move that wood so that hasn't been dug yet this year ;) I knew that just under the top cobbles would be pay. Still had to carry a little way but not far. Beautiful morning. Pan shot was at the river. One cleanup from 3hrs Bazooka prospector, probably 3/4 of a yard, hand picked the larger stuff off no classifier. Screened the cons to 1/8 and panned down to all black for the shot.
Smart thinking there "99"... also makes for fairly easy digging.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following Saturday after Thanksgiving I made it out for some gold getting. I didn't feel like hiking much so decided to test a spot right next to a bridge and low and behold it had good gold! I worked some cracks, a little moss scraping around the bedrock. Very fine gold so I was just dumping into a catch pan to deal with later at home. Worked for about 3-4hrs hours but it was getting dark and I didn't bring my waders so my knee's were killing me as I wasn't about to get my feet wet. Panning with out getting your feet wet is very uncomfortable for me. Anyways it was a nice day and even though i was so close to the bridge I had no visitors, the trail is very steep and this time of year is pretty slick. I was hoping for a gram but...Just once Id like the scale to read out MORE than I was expecting LOL. Still .73 isn't so bad for a couple hours of panning under the bridge! These cons were very fine black sand and gold, it would have been a nightmare to pan, luckily I have the Cube so it was a breeze. There is also a nice little creek at this spot that I keep telling my self I'm gonna climb up and prospect but I never seem to get around to it! One day!

20171203_222710.jpg 20171203_222027.jpg 20171203_221748.jpg 20171202_123106.jpg 20171125_152259.jpg 20171125_102255.jpg

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On your knees to propose is one thing but for panning, ouch! Be careful doin that kinda stuff could mess up the knees!...............63bkpkr

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On your knees to propose is one thing but for panning, ouch! Be careful doin that kinda stuff could mess up the knees!...............63bkpkr
Much better to be able to sit on a rock with your feet in water. I see people on their knees all the time without kneepads, i dont know how they do it. Knee pads are a must

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one needs to stop and think about what they are doing to their body as making it kinder for the body is only taking care of the one thing we really own, our self.

And here it is December 25, 2017 and its a good day as the medications taking hold and the germs are loosing out. I think I'll go take a nap. Merry Christmas!........63bkpkr

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one needs to stop and think about what they are doing to their body as making it kinder for the body is only taking care of the one thing we really own, our self.

And here it is December 25, 2017 and its a good day as the medications taking hold and the germs are loosing out. I think I'll go take a nap. Merry Christmas!........63bkpkr
Merry Christmas!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 weeks ago late on post. This was supposed to be my weekend with my daughter but her moms family was in town so my daughter wanted to stay, so I got in an extra gold digging session. Decided to go back to the same spot as i did well last time but when I got there i decided to scout up river from the bridge as the terrain was more flat. First thing I noticed is winter has arrived!. Definetly dipping low in the canyon over night as I found ice in the puddles, Ice in the cracks and frosty bedrock. I set up and tried to take shovel full of sand and it was like my shovel hit cement....I poked around searching and taking pans from different locations for 2 hrs and nothing. I got 2 flakes in the first pan and never saw another color. Finally I decided to save the day and hike back down stream for the last 2 hrs. Its amazing how one spot can have gold and then 100 yards away nothing. The water is very low but ice cold right now. Last year at this time my spot would have been under 20 ft of raging water. I had my waders but my hands were getting seriously cold. Took about an hr in the truck with the heater on the drive home to get the feeling back. Should have just spent the whole time working the spot but if you don't look you don't find so I try to spend some time prospecting.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 weeks ago Saturday. Decided to go back and work the same spot to see if I could improve on the .73 but looks like its all downhill from now on that spot. I still got a 1/2 gram and that isn't all to bad for 4 hrs of panning. After freezing my hands badly last time I ordered finally a pair of atlas gloves from Amazon. 9.99 with free delivery when i bought another item. Not a bad deal! The material is actually more durable then first thought but i tried not to dig with them all the same. I highly recommend them!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MTTS,
Nice color in your pan! Very adventuresome of you to be out there early winter, be safe as ice is nothing to play around with and if it dumps you into the river, well you know that is very cold. Have you had any luck detecting the banks/rocks? Keep on enjoying as the views are splendid..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MTTS,
Nice color in your pan! Very adventuresome of you to be out there early winter, be safe as ice is nothing to play around with and if it dumps you into the river, well you know that is very cold. Have you had any luck detecting the banks/rocks? Keep on enjoying as the views are splendid..............63bkpkr
No, im just plain frustrated with my detector. I bought a Nokta Fors Gold + 2 years ago but i feel like it barely sounds off on gold and not at all in mineralization. I bring a 1/4 gram picker with me for tuning in the field and it will barely give u a signal on the river bank if at all
Weather wise its secretly very good. its cold but the water is low. If you are prepared and have the right gear its all good. The most dangerous thing right now is short days. Cant get too far out there when the days are so short. Ive been trying to hit that warm sweet spot from 11am-3pm [emoji6]

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Again,
Be sure to be prepared to keep yourself safe out there as winter offers no forgiveness when problems crop up! During my most recent 2017 Sept/Oct outing I never left camp without being able to send a message out, was always able to start a campfire and if I had to I could spend the night out with what I had with me. Just the same, It would be an exciting time to be out even though everything around you is so cold. On my last trip the daily hours were also limited, just gotta obey the rules Ma nature has set up! Boy Scout Motto - Be prepared!

The meager signal your detector offers on your gold flake does not sound right to me, my GMT would be sending a big signal to my earphones with that as a target. Seems like your machine should be checked out by their fix it shop. Does the signal change when the cable at the coil is moved to a different position?

Thanks for the reply.................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread