OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was crazy last weekend. Saturday it was freezing cold. Sunday i had no plans to go out but i got up and it was almost 65 and sunny! I couldnnt stay home? Then Monday it stormed rain. Must have been a 25 degree swing from Sat to Sun. So i couldnt stay home with such nice weather. Decided to go hike a trail south of the Nf Mf American confluence. Ive been up here for 4 years now and never been! Beautiful area and amazing how wide the river canyon is here. Should have taken better photos!. had no clue were i was trying to get to and after about a mile or so i headed off the trail and down to the water. Found an outcrop of larger rock but couldnt find any gold... Went over to a sandy beach with some bedrock and cleaned out a crack and a depression that had some roots. Found me a little yellow. Not much but considering ive never been to spot and wasnt really expecting to find much i was content. Scale didnt want to move but looks like . 03 - .05

This section was almost like a lake. Looked Deep! Bet there are some big nugs down there! Also a helicopter at one point decided to drop into the canyon and buzz the river as he hot dogged it through the canyon. Pretty cool sight! Looking for dredges? 20180225_141310.jpg 20180225_141237.jpg 20180225_141346.jpg 20180225_141255.jpg 20180225_141304.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot the money shots 20180310_151520.jpg 20180310_151744.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MTTS, I've never been down river below the confluence of NFAR & MFAR, one of your pics looks like you are at a lake! Many years ago now I was just up river from the confluence of these two rivers and on the NFAR side, there was a massive ~ 30' dredge unit working the river bed tied to two 4x4 big Dodge trucks. I would have liked to have had a look see of what they were getting but they had a fella with a rifle in his hands walking the deck of the structure. A lot of river down stream of those two. Were you anywhere neat the old rail road bridge?

A little bit of some thing is a whole lot better than 100% of nothing!.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must have been a sight! Im sure they were getting good gold. Hopefully one day dredges will be back on the river.Brahhbababbaba Gold!

I did cross the "no hands" bridge. Seeing a locomotive come through the canyon would be cool. Travel back a little further and the stage coach epic!!

In the lake pic you can see a couple sitting on top of that bedrock in the middle of the river. It was sunny but that water was ice cold. They were jumping into the water. I watched as the first idiot slipped while jumping and almost broke his neck...when i left and went past them the one guys skin was sooo red from the ice water. No thanks ill stick to mining.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in oh 1977 a couple of buddies and I hiked in above Euchre Bar in late may, the air temperature was hot, the trail was dusty though there was still snow on the Foresthill Divide Road. We got in the river to relax and wash the dust off, man that water was cold! I will wait till the summer time to be in the river, thank you.............63bkpkr

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday i was up early ready to get my new GGT in the water and make some gold.

Set up was a breeze and i was moving material right away. Only problem was i had to haul my dirt a fair distance on uneven ground. I should have paced myself a little slower because for some reason i started getting heartburn...Too much coffee and working too hard i guess. After about 2hrs i decided i was done and packed up. It was kind of nice to be home by noon!

Anyways i live how lightweight the GGT is and all the other improvments were nice too. I was cleaning out into a pan an 1/8 classifier and i got careless and dumped some of my cons back in the river....oh well it happens. Sometime you got to sacrifice some back to the river gods lol. 20180310_171540.jpg 20180310_171631.jpg 20180311_180740.jpg

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last Saturday i was up early ready to get my new GGT in the water and make some gold.

Set up was a breeze and i was moving material right away. Only problem was i had to haul my dirt a fair distance on uneven ground. I should have paced myself a little slower because for some reason i started getting heartburn...Too much coffee and working too hard i guess. After about 2hrs i decided i was done and packed up. It was kind of nice to be home by noon!

Anyways i live how lightweight the GGT is and all the other improvments were nice too. I was cleaning out into a pan an 1/8 classifier and i got careless and dumped some of my cons back in the river....oh well it happens. Sometime you got to sacrifice some back to the river gods lol. View attachment 1565531 View attachment 1565532 View attachment 1565533

If you still had that much gold after loosing some cons, I'd say you had a good day!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the invite from Sideways Sherry and headed back out Sunday feeling much better. Went to a new spot for me, although i had planned on checking it out for like 2 years so im glad Sherry's invite motivated me to check another one of the list.

It also was a good test for my GGT Nugett. Last week i tested it on small gold in sandy material. Sunday came the durability test. Hammering it with direct shovel fulls of cobble golf ball to baseball size and i was impressed. Again it was handleing the same load as my Bazooka Prospector does. But its half the weight and 2/3 the size [emoji2]

Sherry and her friend Nick were classifing and running a keene. They had a good system going and offered to let me squeeze in where the big flow was but i needed more room so i opted for a very shallow maybe 5 inch spot with good flow. I thought i could easily dig out and dam and I was right. 5 minutes to strategically place some of the larger rocks. Then a few medium cobbles for the base of the wing dam. Set the GGT and then started digging out right behind it and within 10 minutes the deep pool greatly increased my flow and im catching gold! As i go the tailings are shoved on top of the wing dam to make it even better.

We had good weather and Sherry is always entertaining. It felt good to be able to shovel right in again. Thats my favorite way to mine. Its a great workout.

Since then its basically been raining everyday, big system coming tonight too so i havent been able to get out after work at all. So much for the low water but it was nice while it lasted.

Sorry i keep forgeting to take pics while im out there. 20180311_190205.jpg 20180311_190326.jpg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anyways i live how lightweight the GGT is and all the other improvments were nice too. I was cleaning out into a pan an 1/8 classifier and i got careless and dumped some of my cons back in the river....oh well it happens. Sometime you got to sacrifice some back to the river gods lol. View attachment 1565531 View attachment 1565532 View attachment 1565533

the heartburn happens to me too!

Right after I stop to eat which tends to be a thermos of soup. I think its from full stomach and bending over forward..stuff just comes up your throat.

First I thought it was sandwich on top of coffee too... IDK really but, it happens to me too.

What size GGT did you end up with I have the mid size one I like how it works the riffles catch a bunch of gold before it even gets in the trap.

I just wish it was made with thicker abs. I already broke one of the fins at the trap end.. praise Jah for super glue and Gorilla Tape

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys should stick to bacon cheeseburgers, easier on the tummy lol

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the heartburn happens to me too!

Right after I stop to eat which tends to be a thermos of soup. I think its from full stomach and bending over forward..stuff just comes up your throat.

First I thought it was sandwich on top of coffee too... IDK really but, it happens to me too.

What size GGT did you end up with I have the mid size one I like how it works the riffles catch a bunch of gold before it even gets in the trap.

I just wish it was made with thicker abs. I already broke one of the fins at the trap end.. praise Jah for super glue and Gorilla Tape
I have the Nugget model which is the smallest one. I think you might be right about the heartburn. But it never used to happen and this is the 3rd time now for me. Ugh getting old sucks, lol

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's trippy I get mad heartburn also when out prospecting.. I figured it was the redbull I usually drink in the morning.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was finding I had headaches after being out on the river and thought it was just from the exertion, but now that you guys are mentioning the heartburn issue, I'll bet my headaches are from being bent over so much. My wife does most of the digging because she can't carry the buckets out to the GGT, so I get to do most of the sluicing. My back knew I was bent over too much, lol, but I guess my head does too.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well last saturday after a decent week weather wise i woke up to rain..Ugh. Had to abandoned my original plan and go with plan B.

When i got to the river the water was higher then expected and was dark brown and you couldnt see through it which made digging in the water impossible so i was forced to dig higher up the bank. With limited space i squeezed in next to an older couple was digging. They were very nice and i enjoyed there company.

We had a little break in the weather after i got my Sluice set up and i thought just maybe we would end up with some sun but then the sky got dark and just started dumping and it was cold rain!. Took this oppurtunity to hide under some tree cover and eat my lunch. When it finally stopped the water surged up like 4 more inches then dropped again. Got a few more buckets ran and then...Hail, lol

So im trying to tuff it out but im not seeing much gold going down the slick plate and im getting really cold. I looked at my gold pan and it was half full of hail and im like...ya what am i doing out here lol. Did my cleanout and packed up.

The take was not good. But some gold is better then none. Wouldnt move the scale again.. might be time for a new one! 20180324_100548.jpg 20180331_120638.jpg 20180331_120949.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MTTS, being out in weather like that takes a superb shelter to remain comfortable but even with a superb shelter hail would make it really sketchy especially as starting or keeping a fire going in that weather is unlikely. At least you had the experience and recovered some of the yellow metal from all your efforts!.................63bkpkr

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you're lucky the day was as good as it was. Did you see the scary face in the cloud above your car.

Mike

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like 0.03 to me, more than I have seen in a while! That cloud is pure evil!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week Tuesday i got some after work digging in! Finally had some decent weather and daylight savings time I was able to get a good 1hr -1 1/2 sluicing in. Water had receded and is just starting to reveal some of the better pay. I set up my GGT Nugget and got to work. The wing dam i was using was full of holes and had to do a little patching which is difficult in the deeper water do to lack of proper size rocks.

Anyways it felt good to be back out after work getting some fresh air, exercise and gold! 20180407_163243.jpg 20180407_163419.jpg

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back out after work on Thursday. I was a little late to the spot but got an hr of sluicing in. I was seeing gold in the sample riffles and creeping down the slick plate so I was dissapointed when I panned down the cons... I kept thinking its about to show...its gonna show any second...wait its getting down kinda low..wait...wait and crap! oh well .07 more then I had before! 20180408_092634.jpg 20180409_184101.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread