Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree2563Likes

Thread: Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
    411 times
    Prospecting
    Kevin next time out and digging in the honey hole. Can you try to get the river running. Toward New Hampshire. Real pretty stuff.
    arizau, bobw53 and KevinInColorado like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10536 times
    Prospecting
    Ok, here's a new use for the Sniper:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432609257.793672.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	1166552
    The 1200gph pump produces a nice fluid bed and enough water to work the material. It does take more hands on work than a normal Bazooka. All the water falls in the trap from the deck so there's no water to push the rocks past the grizzly. Guess we're gonna need a bigger pump...lol!

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    Solid build Kevin. Whats the total investment if you dont mind sharing?
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10536 times
    Prospecting
    Battery $80 ( but it also functions a an emergency tool for jump starts, etc), pump $40, plumbing $10-15...pretty cheap! The stand was free, a hand me down from a friend, (otherwise build one for $20 or buy one for $50) and the sluice I already had of course.
    Duckwalk and Mountain gold like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    seems the rocks could be cleared off the deck by a stiff bristled broom. Keeps you from bending over atleast.
    UncleMatt likes this.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10536 times
    Prospecting

Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

Or I can just sit on a bucket since I can set up right next to my hole. Yesterday I was sitting while digging, swiveling around and dumping the shovel on the sluice (bit by bit).

PS here's the gold from my highbanker test on the left and from a workshop clean up I did today on the right...how does that much gold end up on my work table? I'd swear I was careful with my cons. Ah, the mysteries of life ;-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432699935.940194.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	1167229
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; May 26, 2015 at 11:12 PM.

us
    Dean

Apr 2013
    Gilbert AZ
    Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
    37 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks all for everything great info. Kevin maybe get a swivel bar stool and cut it down LOL! you can have some beers too

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10536 times
    Prospecting

So I built a new rod mill. The rods are harvested from the rollers of inkjet printers. A hot cocoa container with a screw on lid serves as the barrel and of course you see two printer chassis in the pic. One part way stripped down and the other is the one I am running.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432874790.086343.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	426.7 KB 
ID:	1168024

I took a bunch of my already processed cons and separated out all the 18-30 mesh material and I've been running a sample of that dry. A 10 minute run produced a nice big pancaked flake (+30 mesh). A second 10 minute run of the same material produced only one tiny spec.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432875122.452447.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	1168025

FYI I'm using brand new classifiers to avoid any risk of a false positive from a flake stuck in a classifier from prior use.

One question, anyone know why running dry vs. wet would be better results or faster?
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; May 29, 2015 at 12:04 AM.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2931 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    So I built a new rod mill. The rods are harvested from the rollers of inkjet printers. A hot cocoa container with a screw on lid serves as the barrel and of course you see two printer chassis in the pic. One part way stripped down and the other is the one I am running.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432874790.086343.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	426.7 KB 
ID:	1168024

I took a bunch of my already processed cons and separated out all the 18-30 mesh material and I've been running a sample of that dry. A 10 minute run produced a nice big pancaked flake (+30 mesh). A second 10 minute run of the same material produced only one tiny spec.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432875122.452447.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	1168025

FYI I'm using brand new classifiers to avoid any risk of a false positive from a flake stuck in a classifier from prior use.

One question, anyone know why running dry vs. wet would be better results or faster?
    My guess as to why the Clarkson method uses a slurry is that it allows gravity and centrifugal force to effect the gold by sinking it through the slurry, displace lighter material and pin it against the barrel side where it is subject to flattening by the rods (inbetween a rock..er..rod and a hard spot). In the overall process, the material is constantly lifted by centrifugal force nearly 180 degrees then it drops back down and again seeks the outer edge passing between tightly packed but, importantly, independently rolling rods. It should be noted here that dry material will not sink through (displace) a pile of dry material so, using this same equipment with dry material may just pin gold atop of other material which kind of cushions it so it does not flatten as easily.

My analysis of your situation kind of indicates that your setup has little to do with centrifugal force (as the Clarkson method relies on) but more that the material pretty much stays at the lowest point in the cylinder and is persistently ground by the weight of the bars rotating against each other or the cylinder. The shifting/kind of rolling pile of material at the bottom allows some gravity concentration (gold settling) and that heightens the potential for the gold to flatten but it is still likely to be cushioned to some extent.* Cushioning is probably one reason you are not experiencing a full grind. If you were to spin the cylinder faster with slurry you would get a more complete grind but that is just a thought and not a suggestion. Your current configuration may not be as efficient as a true Clarkson setup but it is a heck of a lot cheaper and, what the hey, it still works.

Good luck and keep us informed.

* The probable reason for only adding a small amount of material in the first place is to minimize the cushioning effect.
    Last edited by arizau; May 29, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10536 times
    Prospecting
    Good hypothesis AZAU. Must. Do. More. Experiments. Fun!
    arizau and Sideways Sherry like this.

Aug 2014
    Colorado
    Gold Bug Pro II
    35 times
    Prospecting

Bazooka highbanker

Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Hmm, good question. Lots of house chores but definitely want to build my Bazooka Sniper highbanker and try it out

What about u?
    Hey Kevin, nice looking gold!!

Had a question about your plans for a Bazooka Highbanker. Are you building it yourself, or have plans for building it? Just picked up a Gold Hog Mini Highbanker, but would love to use my Bazooka as a highbanker as well...thanks for your help! Oh I seen you posted some pics, cool!
    Have you seen this video? http://www.bazookagoldtrap.com/blog/...s-coming-soon/

Bob
    Last edited by Goldhock; May 31, 2015 at 05:25 PM.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10536 times
    Prospecting

I built it myself from the picture of one... as I shared earlier in the thread.

PS yup, seen that. But they published that video a year ago so I gave up and made one
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Jun 01, 2015 at 12:23 AM.
    Goldhock likes this.

Aug 2014
    Colorado
    Gold Bug Pro II
    35 times
    Prospecting
    Looks like a cool setup! Gonna have to try that setup as well

Do you know anything about using electric pumps in Adams county...can't seem to find any info on it??

Thanks for your help!

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10536 times
    Prospecting

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhock View Post
    Looks like a cool setup! Gonna have to try that setup as well

Do you know anything about using electric pumps in Adams county...can't seem to find any info on it??

Thanks for your help!
    Electric is ok in Adams Co. But NO gas powered gear in Open Space Parks in Adams or Denver or Arapahoe Counties. Only ok for gas in Jefferson Co if you are in Clear Creek Canyon...where a 4 inch dredge is welcome with no permits or anything!

PS get a bigger pump than me, MORE POWER!

Aug 2014
    Colorado
    Gold Bug Pro II
    35 times
    Prospecting
    Lol, I ordered the Rule 3700. I have a Johnson 2200 which seems to be a good pump so far with minimum amp draw. I have run it over two hours with no issues on a 35 Ah Duracell deep cycle, and 8' of hose. I still want more juice, lol- so bit the bullet and ordered the Rule...I believe the next one up is the 4000, but to much coin! It seems the Rule gets decent reviews, so we'll see!

Thanks again for all your help with all the questions I had thru the last year!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links