OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time in six years, I missed the Memorial weekend dig. Kind of sucks, but my current financial situation, and Mother Nature not playing fair (thunderstorms nearly daily), I'm actually not missing it. It's one thing to work in the cold creek water, it's another being wet on the top side as well. I only hope the boys get some gold there for their troubles.

mattt

Apr 23, 2017
northern calif
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sorry for your loss of your dog. Have had only 2 dogs in my life that have passed and it was the hardest times in my life. never had kids.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the skinny on last weekend's dig: It was wet, Thunderstorms nightly, with hail, the creek was nearly unworkable due to high flow. My buddy Steve said the water was so cold that even with chest waders, he couldn't stay in the water for very long. There wasn't a lot of gold found. I'm hoping to make my first trip next weekend.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finally making to the claim this 4th of July weekend. It's been a rough road this year so far with financial issues all last month. But the situation has finally stabilized and four days in ice cold water is well overdue. The only thing about this trip that I dread is carrying that heavy pump down to the creek.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, enjoy the dickens out of just being there! Yes, the water should still be quite cold but hey the air will be quite warm to hot so it should balance out.
Best of luck locating the 'yellow metal"!...............63bkpkr

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, enjoy the dickens out of just being there! Yes, the water should still be quite cold but hey the air will be quite warm to hot so it should balance out.
Best of luck locating the 'yellow metal"!...............63bkpkr

That water never warmed up last year. I expect it to be in the 35-36 degree range this year. It was flowing high and fast on Memorial weekend, so I expect it to be nearly the same this trip. But getting past the issues and getting freezing wet will be worth it. Hardest part will be not having my best friend. I'll take a few minutes on the cedar log for Dora...

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockguy came off the mountain and called me to report all our stashed hoses and tools were stolen. Tweeker took the Redneck highbanker frame too. So, he had to make the drive to Reno for replacement hoses, and I did too. The gold for the weekend: not so good. Friends hanging out around the campfire: AWESOME

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all the setbacks this year, mining and financial, that is, my truck decided 354,000 miles was enough. I'm retired and working a seasonal gig with my mining partner doing snow removal on the west shore of Lake Tahoe. Two weeks ago, after plowing driveways, I made the usual 70 mile trek home when the truck said "I'm done". Seven miles from home, with beer for the week, and I'm going nowhere fast. I made a few calls to neighbors and friends to get me pulled safely off the highway. Once home and many conversations with Rockguy, I started the search for a new heart. For the truck that is, though mine is rapidly getting worn out as well.

I guess if it weren't for the bad luck, I'd never have found this smokin' deal. A 15 day old ad on Craigslist had a same year 2WD Toyota pick up, with front end damage, the motor had 500 miles on it, and it's only 100 miles away. The listed price was $2000 OBO. Now a new crate motor without core was $1995. So on the off chance it might be available, I called the guy up. Yup, it's still available, and he was getting low ball offers, and asks for trades, so he said $1500 and it's yours.

I'm on the phone with Rockguy, and he's saying "The Whole Truck? For less than a motor? I'll get the trailer tomorrow." Well, I do need a driver door and a tailgate for my 4WD anyway. Now the fun begins. Monday is travel and trailer day. Rockguy drives the 80 miles to pick me up, we go back to West Shore, hook up the trailer (after I dig it out of 16" of snow), hit the bank then head to Sacramento. The truck owner was waiting when we arrived, started the truck, it sounds pretty good considering the fan and radiator are shoved up to the water pump. After signing the title, handing over the cash, we load it on the trailer and head back to Tahoe. Once back, I drive the truck off the trailer and back it into the shop.

The next day I sawzall the front off, trace the wiring harness to all points underneath, pull the computer, drop the driveshaft, unbolt the transmission, get everything ready to pull the motor. Now this rear drive version has working A/C, but no power steering. I'm not interested so much with the A/C so it goes away. Out comes the motor, on blocks and out of the way for now. This is day two.

Day three is trailering day. We use a come along to load the dead soldier on the trailer, drive the 80 miles to my house, drop it off, drive 5 miles to where my truck is, load it up and make the drive back to the Lake. I was able to get some prep work in once we got back, then motor out on day four. This is where it gets fun.

Being a 22RE in my 4WD and a new 22REC in the 2WD, the discussion was what's the difference? Web search says the "C" is for California emissions. The question becomes "Will we have to use the 2WD wiring harness, or the 4WD?" They are not the same, and the computer isn't either. I made the call against Rockguy's argument to use the 2WD harness. In order to change the harness, we had to pull the EFI unit off both motors, route the harness, then re-install the EFI on the new motor. This was a real pain in the ass, but it got done. Time to in with new....

Well, after getting it in the ruck, things don't line up right. Our outside help forgot to say the oil pans were different. So back out with the motor, a run to NAPA for a gasket, then me getting them switched. OK, lets try this again.... Stuff lined up right. Everything gets bolted in, harness threaded to all points, and as Rockguy is installing the fan clutch, it ain't working. We found that the front end impact had pressed the fan mount into the water pump. Now we have to pull the water pump off my old motor and install it on the new one. I should have pulled the alternator bracket at the same time as I pulled the power steering brackets. Yes, my 4WD had power steering and the 2WD didn't. More fun. A little extra red necking, and this baby is ready. We had to learn more about setting the idle in the EFI, and found the new motor didn't have and the bolts in the timing cover (small leak). Fixed, tightened up some other hose clamps, and my truck now breathes new life for the next mining season.

Day six, I was able to drive my truck. Snow rolled in on day seven so after plowing driveways, I was able to go home.

Moral of the story: If you want it purr like a kitten, buy a cat. It's a lot cheaper....

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some skills. Way beyond mine. I've got an 85 Celica with a 22RE. It's been my someday car for decades.

Ima tell you now, working on anything Japanese is no fun. Big, American hands just don't fit where the spaces are on these cars. The backs of both my hands are pretty well beat up. And being old, the smallest scratch can be a gusher in no time.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truck is nearly ready for mining season. It even tried to turn left on the road to the claim last week when I went to the DMV to renew my driver license. So far winter in the Sierras has been reasonably mild. This means I might get an early start to the season. I am so ready....

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The claim is just under 5000 feet, but we have to drive the dirt road up to nearly 6000 feet then drop down to the claim. Right now it's all white.
But we located the original claim on Easter Sunday, dealt with the cold and some snow. I try to make the trip every Easter, but the past few years haven't been able to make it even with the 4x4 truck. There's always this year...

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My claim and the families diggins are at around 4800, itching to get out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread