Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: THERE"S GOLD IN THE GRANITE "GRANITE STATE THAT IS"

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
    395 times
    Prospecting
    Thats to funny. Don"t we wish we were in Alaska. I don"t get that much gold in a whole year. I know a couple dredgers in N.H. That have found enought gold to buy a couple. New motorcycles. But they have been doing it for years. And when the picking was better also.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    233 times
    Prospecting
    We were talking with the inlaws last night and they were shocked that the kids did not go to school yesterday, but that was because they only got 2" of snow out of that last storm; we got over a foot. With about four feet of snow on the ground now, that will just be more snow melt to wash all the shiny down into the streams for panning in the summer!

Well a prospector can at least hope anyway!

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    233 times
    Prospecting
    A few weeks ago we discovered a PBS Show out of Canada called Pioneer Quest which was about two couples who lived like 1870 settlers on the Prairie of Manitoba. The goal was to see if people of today could live just as they did back then, and being farmers, we found it interesting.

But the same producers did a show as well on the Stampeders of the Klondike. I have only watched (2) shows so far, but really like it. I like the series because they are trying to reenact history, and so they minimize drama. They said they miss a lot of "TV Moments" because if two people are having trouble getting along due to being exhausted and hungry, they just stop filming and try and sort it all out.

Is it 100% like the Stampeders heading North? Not 100%, but it is pretty close.

You can find the show for free on Amazon Prime. "Gold Quest"

us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    395 times
    Prospecting
    I watched some of it. It is a pretty good show. Not sure I watched it all. Ill have to check and see if I watched in all. Thanks for sharing.

us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    395 times
    Prospecting
    Finally got a chance to process. A gallon of crushed ore ive been working on. I got .04dwt of gold.Out of that gallon. If I figured right. That comes out to 4/10 of a troy oz. Or 8 pennyweight to a yard. The only thing the rocks ive crushed. Have come from several areas i prospect. But at least I know what rocks to look for. I think the ore also contains silver. May send some ore out to be tested. Or smelt some myself. Just need to get the equipment. Don't have a lot of ore so I don" know if its worth it.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    233 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by triple d View Post
    Finally got a chance to process. A gallon of crushed ore ive been working on. I got .04dwt of gold.Out of that gallon. If I figured right. That comes out to 4/10 of a troy oz. Or 8 pennyweight to a yard. The only thing the rocks ive crushed. Have come from several areas i prospect. But at least I know what rocks to look for. I think the ore also contains silver. May send some ore out to be tested. Or smelt some myself. Just need to get the equipment. Don't have a lot of ore so I don" know if its worth it.
    In farming, when it comes to soil testing, I have always said, "It is just a guess, unless you test", but I realize it gets expensive having everything assayed too.

I am glad you got some gold though, that is a good feeling for sure. A person is always rewarded when they get outside and dig in the dirt.

I am not sure what the cut-off is on being worth excavating or not. I read somewhere where it was 1 ounce per ton of ore, but who knows. I am a farmer so I am really good at looking at costs, reducing it down to the bare minimum, and then working it as best I can and making money. I mean farming is the best teacher when it comes to that. What other industry is there where a person buys everything at retail prices, then turns around and sells their product at wholesale prices and still manages to make a profit? That is laughable, but exactly the situation of farming.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    233 times
    Prospecting
    I have not done a lot in terms of gold hunting lately though. I got a permit to burn some logging slash piles while we still had snow cover, so I have been doing that. I am sure you can see the brush piles from your house, maybe even from space! (LOL). Winter just does not want to leave though as it is snowing here again!

That will keep the brush piles from starting fires this spring, but I am getting antsy to check out some of the nearby streams and see what they have for gold. In the meanwhile I have been checking out the soil maps and trying to determine where the gravel beds are so I can take soil samples from those areas and plot out where the gold is.

If I overlay soil type, on top of the known bedrock formation, I should get a good idea of where the placer gold is.

us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    395 times
    Prospecting
    Thats for sure this winter sucks.And by the sounds it. Will last a month longer where you are. I still have maybe a 5 gallon bucket of ore. So that won"t add up to much. But gives me something to play around with. Keep the faith winter will. End somtime. Your doing good research. So when the weather breaks you can hit the ground running. Maybe those brush piles will melt the snow. For a few miles.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    233 times
    Prospecting
    Thats for sure this winter sucks.And by the sounds it. Will last a month longer where you are. I still have maybe a 5 gallon bucket of ore. So that won"t add up to much. But gives me something to play around with. Keep the faith winter will. End somtime. Your doing good research. So when the weather breaks you can hit the ground running. Maybe those brush piles will melt the snow. For a few miles.
    Well you are good for me because your post got me motivated to crush up some rock, and send it in for testing. I just back from the post office, so it is on its way.

I kept putting it off until I could build my rock crusher, but it is hard to get motivated on even doing that since I was not sure how prevalent gold is here. I did it right though, and did not "salt the mine" so to speak by any means. If it comes back with gold, it will represent the entire area. But testing is not cheap; nearly $50 with shipping.

I have been looking for a place to just do ICP testing, but have not found a place yet.

us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    395 times
    Prospecting
    Hopefully the test comes back good. If so you have the equipment to move some material. And make some money. You also have the land too. Which i don"t have. I can only pick up a few pieces here and there. But i have seen sides of hills that. I would like to bring home a few dump truck loads. But again privite land. Can"t wait to here the results.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    233 times
    Prospecting
    Hopefully the test comes back good. If so you have the equipment to move some material. And make some money. You also have the land too. Which i don"t have. I can only pick up a few pieces here and there. But i have seen sides of hills that. I would like to bring home a few dump truck loads. But again privite land. Can"t wait to here the results.
    I was pretty encouraged looking at the bedrock map as it showed 80% of the bedrock that should have gold, is on this farm. BUT I was able to get the Surficial Map today of the area, and it shows where the water flowed, and where the sediment is. Except for my little 8 acre gravel pit, it is not on us. Even then, my gravel pit is unique in that unlike the others around me, it came from melted glaciers and was not transported here. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Basically it means the Lode Gold is on me, and the Placer Gold is on my neighbor; by the way I am looking at the map anyway. MAYBE some gold is still left in the streams on the way to his side of the property line, but he has got the benches and sediment gravel deposits by the look of things.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links