Colorado Prospecting. South Platte, Clear Creek and Denver.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a really nice spot to dig on the creek today. I took my wife along with me and I think she's good luck because I got my first picker!! I couldn't believe it when I saw it in shining in my pan :icon_thumright: Great cleanout with 18 (-30) mesh flakes and a total weight of about .38g. Woot!
May29gold.jpg
flakemay29th.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@GoldpannerDave
Wow you have some serious gear! My wife gives me trouble over one backpack of stuff and my one bazooka :laughing7:. Where do you use all that heavy duty stuff here in Colorado?

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@GoldpannerDave
Wow you have some serious gear! My wife gives me trouble over one backpack of stuff and my one bazooka :laughing7:. Where do you use all that heavy duty stuff here in Colorado?

The newest editions are the Bazooka's (30" Sniper and 48" Miner). Before that my main sluice was the Le Trap (still use it if I cannot get the water flow for the Bazooka's). Before that, I brought the Wolf Trap because I felt I was loosing too much fine gold with the A52 (since moved to the recirc circuit). But the Wolf Trap needs more water than the Le Trap, so the Le Trap was my main sluice until I bought the BGT's. The small backpacker Angus MacKirk was included in part of a deal when I purchased another sluice (actually a type of Miller table), since given to a friend. Also I had extra sluices, pans, etc., for nephews and friends to use if they went with me.

The Gold Cube is a great clean up device while it can be used on the creek with a battery, I have not used it except in the garage. The various pans I have accumulated over the last 35 years. And the dredge is an old Keene 2" one with yellow pontoons that used to be nice to have, but most of the close dredging areas are gone now, though I occasionally use it on the GPOC's claims.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metro Denver nugget! Great work!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on your first picker shofs! Wasn't that sumthin seeing it smiling back at you? If memory serves, it goes like this....

:smileinbox: You're like WTF??? No WAY! Is it??? IT IS! :love4: And it sounds like a rock when you drop it in the pan? Sigh

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a really nice spot to dig on the creek today. I took my wife along with me and I think she's good luck because I got my first picker!! I couldn't believe it when I saw it in shining in my pan :icon_thumright: Great cleanout with 18 (-30) mesh flakes and a total weight of about .38g. Woot!
View attachment 1319266
View attachment 1319267

Was that in "our" creek or elsewhere? If our creek, welcome to the club! Dave and I each have Denver Nuggets from that creek but yours is the heaviest!![emoji106][emoji3]

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is some darn nice gold coming out of Colorado! Keep the finds and the pictures coming!

- Brian

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that in "our" creek or elsewhere? If our creek, welcome to the club! Dave and I each have Denver Nuggets from that creek but yours is the heaviest!![emoji106][emoji3]
It was indeed at the creek! I did some historical mapping to see where the creek had been swaying and "overlapping" with past bends from as far back as the 30's. I love it when research pays off, I can't stop smiling :laughing7::blackbeard::laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a new scale today. Got a more accurate weight on my nugget at .038g! Nice!
june1newscale.jpg

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you look to the left below the dime. Just need to line up the pieces a little better. And there Orions belt.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I got off work early and it was still light out so I got a quick 30 minute dig in on the way home. Also got to go out this morning for about an hour or so. I'm pretty happy with the spot I'm digging right now! 5 pieces of +(-30) and lots of +(-60) size. I put both the cleanouts together on my new scale's dish to dry and I'll get the weight hopefully by tonight when its done.
***edit*** weight 0.12g :icon_thumright:
june2gold.jpg june3gold.jpg
june2+3gold.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I decided to move some rocks and dig under where a dam once was. I built a new "U" shaped dam to let some water flow in and clear out the murky water from my hole which made digging around the clay a lot easier. Did really good!
16 +(-30) mesh pieces. Weight at a solid 0.15g
june4spot.jpg
june4th.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! The several dams just downstream of there, I dug out the inside bend side of but not the outside bend half. So I suppose you could finish those but I bet you'll find better gold elsewhere :)

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! The several dams just downstream of there, I dug out the inside bend side of but not the outside bend half. So I suppose you could finish those but I bet you'll find better gold elsewhere :)
There is a spot upstream of your past dig sites where I got one of my best cleanouts from, and that we both haven't dug yet. I'm saving it for the next time you're in town. The creek is wide enough that we could set up side by side bazookas and the gold doesn't seem to favor a side but lays across the entire bed, perfect for a duel dig. We just need to build a dam. The gold in this spot is about as rich as the original straw bench drop.
:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday also marked my 16th time out with the bazooka sniper sluice. It has been great in the field and deserves a good review. Its is a little worn and its grizzlies are beginning to bend inwards but I have put it through a lot the short time I've owned it. Here are the collective results with a divided average of 0.1g per outing and per hour. :icon_thumright:
bazooka16digs.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last few definitely better than the first few so you're doing something right!!

I expect to be in town the first week of July, I'll definitely bring a sluice and reach out to you!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread