OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Let this be a lesson always wear a hat when in the sun.
It really doesn't help much when you got to make a living day in day out, and it's 115 everyday..
Glad I got a hat.....
I guess I could move up north, rather stay down here I can mine, mill n prospect and grow a garden all year round.
Hope it doesn't get to hot this year....

Last edited:

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really doesn't help much when you got to make a living day in day out, and it's 115 everyday..
Glad I got a hat.....
I guess I could move up north, rather stay down here I can mine, mill n prospect and grow a garden all year round.
Hope it doesn't get to hot this year....
Unable to load your photos but great adventure.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya Herb, I don’t know how you put up with the heat down there in the summer time. I drove through your old neck of the woods last weekend along Hwy 299. What a winter up we’ve had in the north state this year.
I got a vacuum leak in system of my Ram and 4 wheel drive wouldn’t engage front end. Had to chain up because of snow to get over the passes at Oregon Mt., Buckhorn and Berry Summit.
Mike

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya Herb, I don’t know how you put up with the heat down there in the summer time. I drove through your old neck of the woods last weekend along Hwy 299. What a winter up we’ve had in the north state this year.
I got a vacuum leak in system of my Ram and 4 wheel drive wouldn’t engage front end. Had to chain up because of snow to get over the passes at Oregon Mt., Buckhorn and Berry Summit.
Mike
Good to see you all gettin rain n snow up there, trees n critters needed it...
I still have get out n lock in to heavy duty 4 wheel drive, hope you got yours fixed, keep that dirty side down buddy

I'm one of those folks that love the heat, most call me crazy ..
Herb ...

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Herb, please send me a PM with your contact info...lost your email addy and phone number when my old computer croaked.

I ain't dead yet, and still want to try and get back down there for a visit some day. 8-)
I somehow got locked out of my email Mike, so All I have is text, soon as I figure out how to PM I will get that to you.
Your welcome any time here, it's a mining camp so meager accommodations
Herb..

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m looking at a lot of my equipment totally trashed by this winter, I had the Covid and broke my toe which prevented me from winterizing my spots. It is good to see our reservoirs filling up and ground water saturation. The places I work even in mild years I have to deal with snow. It’s going to be an interesting spring.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m looking at a lot of my equipment totally trashed by this winter, I had the Covid and broke my toe which prevented me from winterizing my spots. It is good to see our reservoirs filling up and ground water saturation. The places I work even in mild years I have to deal with snow. It’s going to be an interesting spring.
Ive had a rough 6 months or so health wise, covid, flu, just getting over pneumonia almost killed me, diagnosed with crusty heart valve, keeping me at the mill no prospectin.
Still haven't had much rain here in my desert...

I learned a long time ago about leaving my stuff without preparing for the worst, Murphy likes to show up when I don't....
Hope you don't have to much damage or loss...
Herb...

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you think about it is pretty lame using an arrastra to mill hardrock ore in the 21 century..
No not really. I have been thinking about building one based on yours. Everything is so expensive, not just fuel but new metal. I have been working on a shaker table using Jim’s plans and I’m sort of fudging things to make it happen, working on the driver right now.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No not really. I have been thinking about building one based on yours. Everything is so expensive, not just fuel but new metal. I have been working on a shaker table using Jim’s plans and I’m sort of fudging things to make it happen, working on the driver right now.
Only reason I built the arrastra was to show the two partners that sued me n took my rod mill , that I could mill n mine with next to nothing, imagine what they thought when they seen my arrastra hope it pissed them off....
Using rock to grind rocks ...
Herb ..

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a right angle gear box from a big motorcycle I scrapped. I figure I could use that to drive a small arrastra. My friends that play with hard rock are constantly changing their chains and iron filings end up in the concentrate using hard granite rocks as a replaceable crushing media makes a lot of sense.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a right angle gear box from a big motorcycle I scrapped. I figure I could use that to drive a small arrastra. My friends that play with hard rock are constantly changing their chains and iron filings end up in the concentrate using hard granite rocks as a replaceable crushing media makes a lot of sense.
Yeah I've never been a big fan of flailers to much tramp metal and repairs. Ball mill or rod with rolls n jaw crusher...
Seems be best way go..
This is just my opinion, when im crushing ore sometimes were running all day non stop for days, so jaw crusher works best for me .

The rocks don't crush they are grinders.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep I need to find or build a jaw crusher. I see the arrastra for making the grind before the shaker table. I found a free milling gold bearing quartz vein near Weaverville in Trinity Co. I was interested in building a mini stamp mill as I work with my ECV chapters stamp mill in Forest City but I have so little time time and it’s a lot of moving parts and need of replacing wearing surfaces with specially machined parts.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep I need to find or build a jaw crusher. I see the arrastra for making the grind before the shaker table. I found a free milling gold bearing quartz vein near Weaverville in Trinity Co. I was interested in building a mini stamp mill as I work with my ECV chapters stamp mill in Forest City but I have so little time time and it’s a lot of moving parts and need of replacing wearing surfaces with specially machined parts.
I could bring the jaw, table n my minin tools help you mine the vein, bleep the over size gold, classify the jaw crushins down to 40 mesh, run it across the table, bag the over size bring down to the desert and run through the arrastra.
50/50 split....
Gt....

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I could bring the jaw, table n my minin tools help you mine the vein, bleep the over size gold, classify the jaw crushins down to 40 mesh, run it across the table, bag the over size bring down to the desert and run through the arrastra.
50/50 split....
Gt....
I need to do a little more leg work on it before I have you trek up here especially gas prices the way they are. The weather is pretty fairly wild up here at the moment I won’t be able to get back in there for a little bit. Its going to be an interesting spring, all the burnt areas are going to sluff off into the creeks, we had a little bit of it last year on Coffee Creek, little bit of rain would bring a mud flow down. Hopefully it brings some color with it.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to do a little more leg work on it before I have you trek up here especially gas prices the way they are. The weather is pretty fairly wild up here at the moment I won’t be able to get back in there for a little bit. Its going to be an interesting spring, all the burnt areas are going to sluff off into the creeks, we had a little bit of it last year on Coffee Creek, little bit of rain would bring a mud flow down. Hopefully it brings some color with it.
To wet n cold up there right know for this old desert rat.
I figured it would be a bit before you could work in the hills.
Hopefully you creek gets flushed and not clogged with debris..
Keep the dirty side down..

Gt....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread