Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Quest for Maine Gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2749 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OreCart View Post
    Hey thanks; Clay Diggings and everyone else.

I have started to crush some of the sample rocks up, but I have not got very far. I spread out a tarp, then drove over the rock with my bulldozer, but my grousers are pretty good and keep the rocks from really being crushed between the steel and concrete. I made a hand breaker to get it down the rest of the way, but that broke from all the pounding it was taking. I'll have to build a stamper to operate off my tractor to get it down to dust I guess.

A couple of other considerations too in all this, is power and access, My gravel pit has a heavy haul road going to it, and is just off a paved road with electricity available (though not three phase). But it is going to take making a heavy haul road 1400 feet back into the woods for the lode mine, and of course no electricity.

Th gravel pit also has no restrictions because it is grandfathered; we have been digging out of that pit forever, and we have been her for 9 generations (1746). I can chase a deposit as far as I want. But the hard rock quarry would be limited to an acre under Maine law without restriction because it would be a new quarry.

They sure do not make it easy any more to make your land work to pay for itself.
    DIY pulverizer...A capped pipe or piece of rod steel that fits inside a larger pipe welded to a plate steel base or just set on it can be used to pulverize rocks in short order. Break the rocks to fit in larger pipe, insert and pound away with the smaller pipe or rod.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 29, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    DIY pulverizer...A capped pipe or piece of rod steel that fits inside a larger pipe welded to a plate steel base or just set on it can be used to pulverize rocks in short order. Break the rocks to fit in larger pipe, insert and pound away with the smaller pipe or rod.
    Yeah that did not work, the powder just jammed in the bottom of the pipe.

The part that broke was the handle welded onto the end of the ram. I did not really make it out of anything stout figuring the angle iron would be good enough, but it folded up like soggy taco. Obviously it was to light duty because I am not THAT strong!

The bulldozer trick might work if I can get two thick pieces of steel plate and sandwich the rock between them once I break them down to size driving over them a few times. Jeesh I would think something would have to give, and it would not be the bulldozer or the steel plate!

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    I thought about making a quick, easy arrastra driven by my drill press too. Just break up the rock, set it on slow and then see what the rock looks like after a few hours.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1814 times
    Tilled my garden yesterday, probably plant next week, thought since you were a farmer, you would get a chuckle out of the Southerner, planting a garden in Feb.
    Gt
    Bodkin likes this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold tramp View Post
    Tilled my garden yesterday, probably plant next week, thought since you were a farmer, you would get a chuckle out of the Southerner, planting a garden in Feb.
    Gt
    I sure did! My birthday is on May 8th and I have yet to see a year where we could not drop the plows before my birthday. Some years it looked like we could, but something always came up and we had to wait. The rule in Maine is, "Never plant before the full moon in May", again, another rule I have never seen thwarted.

It was -4 degrees below zero this morning (f), not a lot of snow this year, but definitely a cold winter. Still I will take the cold...Maine is the ONLY state in the nation that does not have poisonous snakes. :-) We have snakes, but a big one is 2 feet long and a garter snake, still lethal in that they can give a person a heart attack and kill that way!

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    As you guys know, I have cancer and there is nothing they can do in Maine, so I am going for treatment at a research hospital out of state. It is right next to my inlaws house in New Hampshire, and he is a gold panner, so I am going to bring some of this pulverized rock out and see if he will pan it for me.

All that glitters is NOT gold, but it sure does glitter.

Now I just got find it. I was afraid the kids would tip it over (yes four daughters ages 5, 12,13,14 can get rambunctious), but now I forgot where I put it. It is a Tiny House so I had to put it some place safe, but now I cannot figure out where that is! Don't that beat all? I can find potential ore on 2500 acres, but not a container of dust in 1100 square feet!
    Clay Diggins and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4211 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    OreCart,
    IF you have Cancer Tumors than check out Damian E. Dupuy, MD, FACR

Cape Cod Hospital Radiology
    Cape Cod Hospital
    27 Park Street
    Hyannis, MA 02601

Phone:
    (774) 552-6454

Fax:
    (774) 552-6018

He uses Ablative Devices to Kill Cancer Tumors in a few minutes, one procedure is usually all that is needed. The Device that I am familiar with is made my MedWaves Inc. in San Diego California and has been on the market since late 2005. The results have been so good with the MedWaves device that they are using it to kill Cancer Tumors in the human Brain.

I hope this information may be of help to you. Best Regards.................63bkpkr

Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    That sounds like good stuff, but I am not sure that it will work in my case even though they think I have brain cancer. Mine appears to be on the Pituitary Gland which is rather small and fragile, so we shall see. I will be there tomorrow and get special imaging that can go that deep into the brain and yet see minute detail; imaging that just does not exist in Maine.

I had always attributed my cancers to being a welder where I was bombarded with radiation from all that x-raying, but it seems now it might be attributed to Agent Orange. Being a farmer it could be Round-Up as I have certainly been around that, but at this point Agent Orange seems to be the more likely culprit at this point though.

Sep 2018
    156 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Wow that trailer is bad ass. Hell you could just mount the wash plant on the trailer,and feed it with the backhoe.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by travis.gore.79 View Post
    Wow that trailer is bad ass. Hell you could just mount the wash plant on the trailer,and feed it with the backhoe.
    I never thought of that! Great idea!

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    It is official; my rock samples are now ore samples!

My father in law, with the aid of a loupe, found a gold inclusion in one of the ore samples I had taken to New Hampshire yesterday. We did some testing on it, and it is NOT Iron Pyrite

He kept some of the other ore, and is going to pan it to see if the gold flakes are iron pyrite, or real gold.
    travis.gore.79 likes this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    Sadly, on another front, Dartmouth-Hitchcock said there is nothing they can do for my cancer, so this gold prospecting stuff is a good diversion from a harsh reality of my life.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10318 times
    Prospecting
    Sadly, on another front, Dartmouth-Hitchcock said there is nothing they can do for my cancer, so this gold prospecting stuff is a good diversion from a harsh reality of my life.
    Oh gosh, rough news. Thanks for sharing though, a good reminder for all of us to embrace every day as you must be doing now.
    arizau likes this.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    395 times
    Prospecting
    Sorry to hear that Orecart. That has got to be tough news for you to get.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold4Mike View Post
    Sorry to hear that Orecart. That has got to be tough news for you to get.
    Well it is the stuff of legends I guess. The irony of me finding real gold in a 9 acre are orebody never discovered in Maine, and there is only one person that knows where I is, and I will most likely take that with me to the grave.

Crazy ole OreCart, wondering around the back 40 (or in this case 7000 acres) and no one exactly figuring out where I was, but having the ore samples to back up what I say.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links